• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

139 gr Lapua Scenars beyond 600 yds

98Vandal

Banhammer
Banned !
Minuteman
Nov 4, 2018
SoTex by way of N. Idaho
I've been shooting Lapua Scenars out of my .260 Rem lately as they group well out to 600 yds (at least, thus far). Is anyone using them in PRS competitions that exceed 1000 yds? What feedback do you have? I'm considering these for an upcoming shoot but am torn between the 139 gr Scenars (which are most accurate in my current setup) or 140 gr Berger VLDs (which group decent but have a better BC).

Taken from another member here one shooting to 1000 with scenars:

“The Scenars are some of the most forgiving and accurate projectiles out there. If you don't want to change projectiles but gain some perfermornace you could always have them pointed. Their meplats a fairly large compared to its competition so you would possibly see a 4-5% increase in BC which would put it in the .600 “range.”

The scenars are great bullets very accurate have taken them to 1000metres (1080 yards I think) no where near as wind cheating as the 140 RDF though.

Reactions: lash
The scenars are great bullets very accurate have taken them to 1000metres (1080 yards I think) no where near as wind cheating as the 140 RDF though.
Thanks for the info; have you been able to get the RDFs to group well? I went through a box of them and never found anything that gave me a sense of confidence I was willing to compete with.

Thanks for the info; have you been able to get the RDFs to group well? I went through a box of them and never found anything that gave me a sense of confidence I was willing to compete with.

Yep believe it or not they group better than both 123 and 139 scenars and berger 130 vld outta my rifle. No fliers or fussy seating depth issues that others have found either. I did a rough berger seating depth test with them as I didn't want to do a full load development just used the same powder load I used with 139 scenars, 3 shots each at 30, 60, 90 and 120 thou jump worst group was .5inches best was less than .1 inches. Seems to hold together at 1000 pretty good too. The 123 scenars are nicer to shoot though certainly notably less recoil to me.

Reactions: 98Vandal
I've been shooting the Scenars for 1,000 yard matches for many years and they have proven to be very consistent from batch to batch and very accurate. I tend to stick with what has been proven rather than chasing the next BIG THING..

Splitting hairs. The 139 scenar 6.5x47 factory load (it’s stupid expensive but I needed brass and it was on sale) took me to 1k just fine. My wind calls weren’t much different than my daughters 6br/105 hybrid 2670fps load.

If it ain’t broke don’t fix it. They are murder on ground hawgz as well.

Yep believe it or not they group better than both 123 and 139 scenars and berger 130 vld outta my rifle. No fliers or fussy seating depth issues that others have found either. I did a rough berger seating depth test with them as I didn't want to do a full load development just used the same powder load I used with 139 scenars, 3 shots each at 30, 60, 90 and 120 thou jump worst group was .5inches best was less than .1 inches. Seems to hold together at 1000 pretty good too. The 123 scenars are nicer to shoot though certainly notably less recoil to me.

What rifle and barrel are you shooting?

I often shoot hornandy 140 BTHP’s to a 1000 and beyond.
If they’ll work the Scenar’s certainly will.

I have never shot a 139 gr, so I do not bring much to the table here. But I shot one barrel of 6.5x47 using 136 scenars, and even though the bc was low by todays standards, they flat out shot.
Scenars are for the most part an expensive bullet, especially if you compare the cost to BC rating, it can be a turn off.

Consider yourself a diamond in the rough and very lucky. Many of us have tested both the 130 RDF and 140 RDF in large quantities across various 6.5 rifles from gassers to bolt guns, 6.5cm, x47L and various powders with horrible results compared to other bullets available. Seating depth testing in .005 increments from touching all the way to .1 off... Were there some combos found with specific powders and barrels, yes. But nobody wants to shoot a bullet that takes that much time and effort to find a load when you can grab ELD's, Berger Hybrids, SMK's or Scenars and find a killer load with very little effort.

Consider yourself lucky but your results are FAR from norm and that data is found all over...

I have never shot a 139 gr, so I do not bring much to the table here. But I shot one barrel of 6.5x47 using 136 scenars, and even though the bc was low by todays standards, they flat out shot.
Scenars are for the most part an expensive bullet, especially if you compare the cost to BC rating, it can be a turn off.

I shot Scenars for a long time both 123 and 139. The 139 is a pig but the 123 at higher velocites is a killer bullet.. Both are EXTREMELY accurate but as you note, there are much better options out there today for distance shooting. Get some 140 Hybrids and dont look back. Havent found a rifle that doesnt shoot clover leafs with them.

I ran them for the entire season last year shooting mostly smaller local matches and they did really well for me. They are not the most efficent, but they were very forgiving on seating and consistant for me. They were running around 2860 out of my 260 and I never had any issues at targets past 1k. In the end I prefer to take consistancy and accuracy over max out ballistic performance. I wouldn't hesitate to run them!

What rifle and barrel are you shooting?

6.5x47L 26 inch maddco barrel, wild dog stock, atlas bipod

Consider yourself a diamond in the rough and very lucky. Many of us have tested both the 130 RDF and 140 RDF in large quantities across various 6.5 rifles from gassers to bolt guns, 6.5cm, x47L and various powders with horrible results compared to other bullets available. Seating depth testing in .005 increments from touching all the way to .1 off... Were there some combos found with specific powders and barrels, yes. But nobody wants to shoot a bullet that takes that much time and effort to find a load when you can grab ELD's, Berger Hybrids, SMK's or Scenars and find a killer load with very little effort.

Consider yourself lucky but your results are FAR from norm and that data is found all over...

Padom yup I'm very aware of the majority of peoples findings with these bullets on this and other forums. There are a few though who have had great results, and yep I did no work up with them at all just the berger seating depth test because reports were they are very sensitive to seating depth. In all fairness though this rifle shoots everything I have tried good and being a 6.5x47L basically it is not fussy at all wide wide large nodes. ran 21 shots over the chrono sd 6, ES 22 that's why I love the 6.5x47L