• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing 140 gr ELDM kill

Wiscat

Private
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2017
Earlier this month there was a thread about ELDMs “failing” on a mule deer. I commented something to the effect of the shot placement was less than ideal. A statement I still stand by. But as much as I love commenting on the Internet I figured I should try an ELDM on game to see how it worked.

This morning I went out on the final day of Wisconsin regular gun season to shoot a meat doe for my aunt and uncle. I was set up from a thick pasture expecting shots from 250-400. About 10:10 I heard a deer blowing and looked to see a large doe at 30yds in the picked bean field stamping and blowing. She ran to about 60 and stopped. I shot behind the shoulder trying to minimize meat loss. At the shot she ran flat out for 125-150 yards and piled up in a fence line. The blood trail was grotesque and I don’t find the distance traveled to be a negative, as a switched on animal can cover some ground. I would guess if she was relaxed she would’ve dropped or fell much sooner.
Results were a 1/2” entrance and an 1 1/2” exit. Impact speed of 2675 out of a 260. Clipped a rib on the entrance. Top of the heart was mangled and both lungs had serious damage. No sign of fragmentation.
Entry
DBE9BE14-D793-4557-B59E-7CEEADA34417.jpeg

Exit
8D06FCF1-6AC1-4EEF-A180-D2D1C30BF54C.jpeg

EF023DB9-C53E-4D84-B2D3-B27CB22EE17B.jpeg

One deer doesn’t prove anything. But I figured if I was commenting on it I should try it for myself. The wound channel looked very predictable. Reminded me of 30 Cal Corelok entry and exits.

I have shot quite a few cow elk with 140 ELDm out of my 6.5 Creed. Distances between 300 and 600. Had great results. Even shot a cow with a 108 ELDm out of my 6 creed with similar results. That being said, I shot a doe last week with a 108 and laid it right in the crease behind the shoulder. Looked like I shot her in the heart. She ran really fast for about 40 yards and then just stood there, I could see a pretty large blood stain on the entrance side. I thought that was pretty weird, so I shot again to put her down. When I walked up and examined the first hit it looked like my first bullet pretty much exploded on impact, which I have never had happen.

This just further solidified my theory that weird shit happens with bullets, especially on animals. I used to shoot the 190 VLD Hunting bullets out of my .300 win mag, but quit after I had a few that failed to expand and basically just penciled right through. That being said, I also pancaked quite a few critters with that bullet as well. In my experience, I don't think there is one absolutely perfect hunting bullet, there is always the chance of something not going right. My default advice would be to go with whatever bullet/caliber combo you know you can shoot accurately AND be able to follow through and stay on the animal after the shot. Good fundamentals and follow ups can go a long way if you do have something go wrong.

I think that the ELD can be, and has proven in the past to be an effective bullet on game...but I also think that results are less consistent than some of the better bullets designed for killing.

Congratulations on the deer.

I think that the ELD can be, and has proven in the past to be an effective bullet on game...but I also think that results are less consistent than some of the better bullets designed for killing.

Congratulations on the deer.
I would agree with this statement. Hunting out of a blind like this is much more "shooting". In the Northwoods or out West I like an Accubond for less than ideal angles or moving critters; generally out of a 300WM.

I'd feel confident shooting a deer with the ELDMs. Especially after seeing posts on this forum about the ELD-Ms and Xs. Looks like pretty perfect shot placement to me. Nice deer!

I used Amaxs and ELD-Ms for years and had nothing but good results. 208 Amaxs, 140 amax and eldm and 108 eldm. Everything from bull elk to whitetail does has died quickly from anything that got into the chest cavity. The last two seasons I've been running 135 A-Tips and they are my go to now. I run them at 2875 and have taken elk at 760, 540 and 440. Mule deer at 611, 510 and 65 yards. I've had a pass through on everything but the the elk at 540, where I recovered the bullet under the hide on the off shoulder. Recovered bullet weighed 98 gr and broke the shoulder on the off side. They perform just like an eld except I get an exit wound with it. That said, I've never lost an animal with an Amax or ELD-M. And only one required a second hit.