• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

145gr Match Burner Issue....

kylec

Private
Minuteman
Jan 31, 2014
Cullman, AL
Last night I was loading up some 145gr Match Burners and had CBTO lengths all over the place. The bullets were seated in new Lapua 6.5CM small primer brass with a Redding seating die. The brass had just been ran through a 21st century mandrel die to get consistent neck tension.

Has anyone else had this issue with these bullets?

Thanks for the help!

I've had similar issues with Hornady 140 BTHP I get about 4 thousands difference and have all the same components as you. But I know if I use Berger 144gr I get 0 CBTO difference. So I've just figure its the bullet quality so it could be the same thing since match burners are also cheep bullets

I have had the same issue with CBTO. I for the life of me can’t get these bullet to shoot. Think I’m going to ditch them and switch back to Sierra or hornady.

I loaded up some Hornady 140gr BTHP #26335 tonight. MUCH more consistent CBTO than the Match Burners

Do you have a VLD stem in your seating die. What you are seeing is usually the bullet tip is contacting the very top of the seating stem. Then your length is being determined by the oal of the bullet not further down on the ogive which is more uniform.

I shoot the 6mm 112’s. But i go through and sort them into 3 bands of oal. That way i am taking a more uniform bc to the line. Very important when going long. Out of 500 i get 350 or more in the middle band. I use the bands on each side for load development and practice

No you have to buy it and replace the standard stem. I have replaced all of mine. This is for a Redding Competition seater. I don’t know if the less expensive Redding seater has that option.