• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

150-155g bullet recommendations for my .308...

dcnyli

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 5, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
24" barrel, 1-11 twist with a tight chamber. Shoot 175g Berger VLDs great but I want to try something lighter/faster but was hoping for some suggestions, been hearing about 150 accubonds, 155 scenars etc

Also I load varget powder

Last edited:
I shoot 155 Scenars, others will be 155.5 Berger Full Bore, Sierra 155 (2156 not 2155)

With 24" barrel you should be able to work up towards 2950 fps for 30 MoA to 1000 yards.
I use 47.8 gr Varget in Win cases with CCI primers.

I shoot 155 Lapua Scenars, but have also had great success with the 155 A-max.

I'm loading up 150, 165 Hornady SST's over Varget, and 168 Hornady A-max over Varget. All shoot well out of my 20" 1 in 10 twist Savage.

I used to shoot the 155 Scenar's at about 3000fps out of a 26" with Varget, Winchester Brass, and Federal primers.

The question I would ask is for what specific reason do you want to switch to a lighter bullet? Particularly if as you say the 175 VLDs are shooting very well? Just be aware that you will be giving up a fair bit in BC by going that route, and you may not be able to make up the difference simply by increasing the velocity. One possibility that would be somewhere in between would be the Berger 168 gr Hybrid. It is lighter than the 175 and can be pushed significantly faster due to lesser weight and a very short bearing surface. It also has an outstanding BC for its weight.