• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

$1500 build help

johnny.

Private
Minuteman
Apr 20, 2010
Mid-Atlantic
All -

My friend is looking for a semi-auto rifle (.308). He's been looking at getting a complete rifle i.e. DPMS, Remington etc...but I suggested he build one.

I'm "new" and don't know a whole lot about AR-based platforms and would like some suggestions that I can tell him. Is it possible to build a sub-MOA AR-10 for $1500 (excluding optics of course). If so, can some of y'all point me in the right direction.

Any help is appreciated.

TIA - johnny.

oh yeah...he's a lefty!
sick.gif
:p

Re: $1500 build help

Other than being a Lefty (not in any sense imaginable!); this is a question I would have gotten around to. Since no one has ansewered the OPs question, could I ask it a little differently?

How would one go about building a reasonably accurate and inexpensive AR 10 type rifle? How much would it cost and how accurate and reliable is it likely to be at that price?

I'm building one right now on a similar budget. I think it's the most accurate gun for the money right now.

Fulton Armory M110 Upper - currently 10% off - $1100
-Krieger Criterion barrel 20", going to be very accurate, similar to what goes on an SR-25
-Threaded, flash suppressor
-4 Rail hand guard
-Forward Assist/Dust Cover/Shell Deflector
-Correct height picatinny rails to fit with aftermarket railed hand guards, unlike DPMS.
-I added non-reflective grey finish

As for a lower, lots of complete DPMS' with standard trigger and A2 stock on gunbroker for $450. With Fulton's current sale, you can get the same for $450 if you buy the parts separately. For a 2-stage trigger, it's going to be $550.

Total - standard trigger - $1550
Total - 2-stage trigger - $1650

I'm not sure which lower option I'm going to buy yet. I won't be able to shoot the gun very accurately with the standard trigger so either I'm going to wait and get the 2-stage or it'll be the first upgrade.

I think Armalite's are great and you can get a AR-10T 20" w/2-stage trigger for about $1650 as well and it will come with a warranty and magazines. It will almost be as accurate as the Krieger barrel. But the writing is on the wall regarding the magazines and the next military contract will require SR-25 magazines. I wouldn't recommend designing a rifle around a magazine type but it heavily influenced my decision. If all things are equal between the guns, why not go with the lower priced, soon-to-be standard magazine?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 338408</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just picked up a couple of months ago a new 308 DPMS Style lower for $200.
Here's the link. Quality is outstanding.
http://www.tacticalmachining.com/products.php?pid=41#images/372_247-308-lower-final.jpg </div></div>

Thanks for the link!

Using the TM-10 lower and a RRA 2-stage trigger instead of the standard 2-stage match triggers, the complete price of the build with a good trigger drops to $1550.