• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

$1500 for a scope what would you buy.

Jjames06

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2020
North Carolina
I want to be in $1500 or less ballpark. Just on the glass. New or used. Its going on 6.5 creedmoor not hunting just targets from 100-1000 yards..preferably 20x and up on the high end the low dont care to much about. 4-6x . I would like to know why you would choose one over the other. I appreciate any response.

Razor for me.
I've pumped a few rounds through mine, now.
Taken it bush bashing, and used at distance.
Zero hasn't altered, glass is primo, and I like the reticle.
Mates of mine like the NightForce as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Badjujuu
The razor hd gen 2 is what I'm leaning towards. But that color is so damn ugly. I was just trying to do some homework from people that have more experience and hands on experience with optician this price range.

Reactions: GrumpyOleFart
Razor for me.
I've pumped a few rounds through mine, now.
Taken it bush bashing, and used at distance.
Zero hasn't altered, glass is primo, and I like the reticle.
Mates of mine like the NightForce as well.
+1. If I am not hunting with it I will buy a razor 3-18

Cronus, Tango 6, if you can find a deal, Delta Stryker.
Razors are great scopes, but they weigh a metric ton, are aging technology and fall off a bit optically in the upper mags. Bulletproof, yes. But I think there are better options out there now for the same or even less $$$

I want to be in $1500 or less ballpark. Just on the glass. New or used. Its going on 6.5 creedmoor not hunting just targets from 100-1000 yards..preferably 20x and up on the high end the low dont care to much about. 4-6x . I would like to know why you would choose one over the other. I appreciate any response.
Leupold Mark 5HD 3.6-18x44 ... all day long, twice on Sunday. It's an awesome scope for 6.5-CM.

You can find a used S&B 5-25 or maybe a Steiner for around $2,000 if you look and that will hold its value much better. It just really hard to recommend any of those scope when for 1/4 more you can get something that is top tier.

6-24 Vortex PST works for me out to $1000+

For Vortex, I have a PST and a couple Razors. At 1k and in, the PST works fine. At longer ranges, I start getting eye strain quicker with the PST. I've shot with the PST out to 1500, but it just isn't as comfortable.

The Razor is far superior if you don't mind the color and extra weight, and for something in the $1500 price range, it's hard to beat.

Someone else recommended the Toric. I can't speak for the scope as I don't have one, but I did just get one of their spotters, and I took it out to the hills for the first time yesterday. The glass is clear, mechanisms smooth and high quality. I am extremely happy with the purchase.

these days, i would give up 5 days at the range worth of ammo money and buy whatever you want.

Well since you mentioned $1500.00. I would spend $100 more and find a used Razor if that's what you're looking for. If you want to save a little money. The Bushnell XRSII is hard to beat right now with a price just over $1k. It started out as a $1699.99-$1949.99 scope. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1019633469

From Bushnell's website, "This is the scope that’s been to the podium at the King of 2 Miles and countless precision rifle matches."

I am incredibly happy with my recent buy of the

Athlon Optics Ares ETR 4.5-30x56 Black - APRS1 FFP IR MIL Illuminated #212100​

I need to put them side by side... except for the slightly stronger reticle lines, I think it's as good as my Vortex Razor HDGen II 4.5-27x56 FFP.

Go buy yourself an XRS2 from Midway. They are on clearance for under $1100.

Go buy yourself an XRS2 from Midway. They are on clearance for under $1100.
Wondering do you/anyone know the difference in reticles?

Screenshot_20210211-180526_Firefox.jpg

Last edited:
Wondering do you/anyone know the difference in reticles?

View attachment 7553901
I have an XRS2 with the H59.

I have an LRTS with the G3 reticle.

The G3 is very simple, and not as busy. If you don't need the christmas tree reticle, it's very nice.

The Tremor3 is too busy for me, but the H59 is a great sweet spot.

ETA: if you select the reticle on the Midway website it will give you sample images of the reticles.

The G3 is very simple, and not as busy. If you don't need the christmas tree reticle, it's very nice.

ETA: if you select the reticle on the Midway website it will give you sample images of the reticles.
Ah, TY. I was looking via my phone didn't see the reticle displayed. Jeez. Now I'm thinking of getting one for my next rifle... One of the reviews says he likes it better than the same Vortex HD Gen II that I have.

used Kahles 624I ,but you need about $400 more dollars. Smr3 reticle.

Ah, TY. I was looking via my phone didn't see the reticle displayed. Jeez. Now I'm thinking of getting one for my next rifle... One of the reviews says he likes it better than the same Vortex HD Gen II that I have.

I've been a Vortex fanboy, but when I was looking to buy a Razor Gen 2, I saw the Bushnell deal and figured I'd take a shot.

I can't tell you how impressed I am with it. Glass is incredible for 1k.

I'm having a very difficult time not picking up another.

It's a pig....but so is the Razor......

If you don't snatch one of those XRS's up from Midway, you're doing it wrong.

That should be a no-brainer type of deal.
Just bought one... with the Tremor 3 reticle. A lot of stellar reviews but I like this guy a lot...

The G3 is a christmas tree reticle.

Reactions: Hollywood 6mm
I almost jumped on XRS on Midway myself this morning but the G3 reticle is back up to $1700 😢

I've been a Vortex fanboy, but when I was looking to buy a Razor Gen 2, I saw the Bushnell deal and figured I'd take a shot.

I can't tell you how impressed I am with it. Glass is incredible for 1k.

I'm having a very difficult time not picking up another.

It's a pig....but so is the Razor......

I found myself in that situation. I ended up with 3 of the XRSII with the Tremor reticle.

Yep, what he said.

The Tremor 3 is crazy and more than I could ever use.

I already have an XRS with the H-59 and I love it. We usually spot for the other shooter through the rifle scope and the H-59 is the tits for calling misses. 😂

The XRS2 has much better glass than the XRS and the zero stop is totally simple.
Locking windage and a short height elevation turret.

Well the XRSII at MidwayUSA went up to $1699.99 for the G3 reticle and the Tremor 3 went up to over $1200.00. The H59 is still a deal, but I wouldn't wait if you are looking at getting one.

Well since you mentioned $1500.00. I would spend $100 more and find a used Razor if that's what you're looking for. If you want to save a little money. The Bushnell XRSII is hard to beat right now with a price just over $1k. It started out as a $1699.99-$1949.99 scope. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1019633469

From Bushnell's website, "This is the scope that’s been to the podium at the King of 2 Miles and countless precision rifle matches."

The original MSRP on the XRS2 when it was originally launched was ~$2000 (2200 or so for Horus), then dropped to $1699 after it had been out a bit.

But yeah, the Midway clearance price was a stupid deal. I was surprised they raised it back up to MSRP.

Can't pass that up. H59 and a spur on route!

Reactions: Shooter McGavin
I think I'm going to go with a vortex razor used. I have always been leaning thay way but I like hearing what other people have to say. Its hard to beat the warranty. I know they are getting old now. I like different and it's going on a bergara hmr pro ( when I got the rifle I have never heard or seen of one ) but soon realized that everyone owns a Bergara with a vortex. I didn't want to be a fan boy but whatever.

Damn, you guys just cost me 1050. Thanks for the heads up. Picked up a h59.

Athlon Chronus BTR Gen II. APRS 6 reticle. I have three sitting in my shop right now. I can’t believe the value. I’ve got some very nice glass (European) and I can say without hesitation the BTR compares very favorably for the cost. Nicer than the Razor Gen II to my eye. Incredible turrets. I’ve had many Athlon scopes through here but these are my first BTRs. As good as the Ares ETR is these are quite a bit better.

Last edited:
Reactions: kjmdrumz3