• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

$1500 to work with what would you choose?

How am I posting just to insult people?
Poorly.

You call people names. At best that's immature; at worst it's pedestrian.

Don't assume that in your case it's not a quality issue.

Last edited:
I would take a stock savage or a Remington. Any rifle will shoot in the end. As far a dependability, I have used the shit out of my savage and would take it to war any day.

First of all, to the op. not everyone have massive budgets like some people! With me being worthless as I was called in this thread ill add. I just had a budget rifle done for my son. I got a savage 10 predator in 6.5 creed in max 1 camo. Nikon scope in max 1 camo to match. 20 moa rail, two boxes of hornady ammo. I got this for 1,180 dollars new in box shipped. It has 24 inch medium contour barrel. It has accustock and accutrigger. That would leave you enough for plenty of ammo and cheap case to start. I have 2 savage rifles that both are tac drivers. I do have high end scopes on each, atacr and nxs. You could be saving for optics while your shooting and hunting with this one. I've killed many, many deer with savage rifle, and yes out to long ranges as well. Ill never degrade a person for what they don't have because I came from not having much myself. I'm now 47 and semi retired, worked many 100 hr weeks running my business for years and my hunting budget has been 20,000 dollars a year for about 25 years. So I have savages and less high dollar guns. That should tell you I think they are good rifles. I got this rifle for my son while I await a 260 build for him. So get you a budget rifle and have fun and learn with it. Getting and working to be good at a craft is the challenging and fun part of the process. Everybody has to have a starting point and there's not a damn thing wrong with it. If you need info on the above gun and where I got it u can pm me. Happy shooting brother. Also listen to Graham, he's very knowledgable, like many others on here.

Ignoring what cobracunt had to say...

An sps tac is a start, the heavy barrel with aid accuracy but short enough to be ok hunting too. Get shooting it whilst waiting on a good deal on a stock (HS P?) If you can buy in person then you can check there is nothing too bad with the rifle.

I've used 2 piece bases with Burris Sig rings to correct for the poor QC and not to stress the scope (I also shimmed the bases to 20moa). Buy a fixed power scope, 2nd hand, then save up for a better one when funds allow.

Yes doing it this way means more $$$ in the long run, but it gets you shooting. If you are waiting on buying a gun you may well rush the purchase and then end up with a crap gun and no money either.

Reloading will help keep the ongoing prices down.

Well I picked up a SS 3-15 this morning on the sample list. Sucks i live in texas with $50 in taxes but still got it shipped for $662. I may go over budget a bit but ill try and find a deal on a rifle now so if i dont like it i wont loose a ton of money on it. Thanks for the advise so far.

Well I picked up a SS 3-15 this morning on the sample list. Sucks i live in texas with $50 in taxes but still got it shipped for $662. I may go over budget a bit but ill try and find a deal on a rifle now so if i dont like it i wont loose a ton of money on it. Thanks for the advise so far.
That savage 10 predator will cost 760 with rail, still under your budget and an accurate rifle.

Ignoring what cobracunt had to say...

An sps tac is a start, the heavy barrel with aid accuracy but short enough to be ok hunting too. Get shooting it whilst waiting on a good deal on a stock (HS P?) If you can buy in person then you can check there is nothing too bad with the rifle.

I've used 2 piece bases with Burris Sig rings to correct for the poor QC and not to stress the scope (I also shimmed the bases to 20moa). Buy a fixed power scope, 2nd hand, then save up for a better one when funds allow.

Yes doing it this way means more $$$ in the long run, but it gets you shooting. If you are waiting on buying a gun you may well rush the purchase and then end up with a crap gun and no money either.

Reloading will help keep the ongoing prices down.

You ignore me beacuse you are a moron. You are petty and refuse to look at truth, even if it's staring you right in the eyes. Pathetic.

Barrel profile has little to do with accurracy other than argued rigidy and less strinigng over heavy firing schedules. Had you actualy read more around here and posted less, you would have learned this.

If he doesn't even know what rifle to look at, how is he going to know what to look for? Most problems are not easily seen and will show up once he shoots......which amazingly is after he buys it (too fucking late broski).

Hell, even you admit that you had to use a 2piece base (laughable) to correct for piss poor QC, yet you still recomend a SPS?

How the fuck is a 2 piece base which will not only be on two seperate planes (fuck me, I already confused you with geometry terms) based on base machining variance and mounting point on the reciever.............Going to stress a scope (AGAIN LAUGHABLE) less than a solid, 1 piece continuous base? I swear to fucking god ignorance must be bliss beacuse listening to your stupidity makes me hurt.

Do you understand how undeniably STUPID and contridictry you sound?

You should worry more about making sound decisions for youself, before you start giving advice to others.

Since this thread has turned into a dog pile on me beacuse you don't like the manner in which I present these facts, whose next?

Last edited:

Thats a great scope for the money..... do yourself a favor... save some more money up and buy a quality gun. Either way your going to blow your budget and not have enough money to shoot, might as well have something that will hold its value when you dump it 6 months from now.

More name calling. Please read the rules.

More ignoring that fact that others drop in here calling me a cunt or whatever..........yet you seem the need to preach to me, while ignoring everything else?

Worry about yourself brah.

More ignoring that fact that others drop in here calling me a cunt or whatever..........yet you seem the need to preach to me, while ignoring everything else?

I don't have to worry about being banned because I don't violate the rules here.

The fact that others do is neither an argument in your favor nor a license for you to do it.

But go ahead and do whatever you want: I'm not notifying the mods because that way when you screw yourself you won't be able to play the victim and blame me for the consequences.

Last edited:
My advise would be to at least handle or even possibly shoot the ones you are considering to better help you decide what you like or dislike about each one. Going to a rifle match and asking if you can check out their rifles and scopes is a good way to do this.

Ergonomics have turned out to be towards the top of the list of desired features I look for. On my few tactical rifles I chose stocks with adjustable LOP and cheek height so they fit me correctly.

Next on the list having a good adjustable trigger set at the weight you want it.

Well anyways...what I did was find the best deal I could on a used custom rifle with low round count which was the one I wanted at the time. It was slightly out of my budget but was complete and ready to go with all the bells and whistles on it. I charged it on my CC had it paid off in a few months. Too offset the extra expense of the purchase along with some other stuff I bought I simply looked around the house and put various other things up for sale that were collecting dust anyway. I bought the rifle for $1900 but had I commissioned it to be built new it would have cost $3500. That was 5 years ago and I'm on 4th rebarrel now. I don't know if I could have made a better decision honestly.

A friend had a box stock Tikka T3 in 6.5x55 with a Super Sniper 10x scope on it that was quite a performer BTW.

If you really want to save a bunch of money consider taking up reloading.

Another friend had his dads old R700 270 that hadn't been shot in 30 years made into a nice custom 260.

Personally I wouldn't consider the Salvage.

"whose next"

Killer on the prowl here gents, walk softly.
Spare us the drama: The situation here is nowhere near that elevated. It's more like the bad decisions of the unwary being the engine of democracy. Nothing more.

Fair enough.... I can't argue that statement.

Last edited:
Cobracutter, your last post was a good one , nothing wrong with disagreeing. That's what gets the truth out one way or another in the end. I think that's what we all seek. Your comments did not offend me whatsoever because I'm grown up enough words or Internet bashing mean nothing to me. I do apologize to you for my remarks. Poking a litte humor at your expense was not personal. I understand what you were getting at about finances early on but you went about it in the wrong way. Nothing that I don't do all the time, I have that problem as well! As for Graham, you should thank him, he's only warning you of a possible ban. He's here to help, not hurt!

I don't have to worry about being banned because I don't violate the rules here.

The fact that others do is neither an argument in your favor nor a license for you to do it.

But go ahead and do whatever you want: I'm not notifying the mods because that way when you screw yourself you won't be able to play the victim and blame me for the consequences.

I could not care less what you do with yourself.

Why do you not point out others who break the rules? I guess that's irrelevent to you as well?

Don't come here preaching and singling me out , dogpilling on pathetically, while ignoring all the other shit that has been said by other posters.

I don't need to play the victim, I stand by every word that comes out of my mouth, and if it gets me Banned, then so be it. My integrity is not for sale on a fucking gun board.

I am sure the Mods and Frank have been reading this, they don't need you and your Jr. Gman badge to do their job. If they had a problem with what has been said, they will say so or atleast PM us.

If you want to come in here playing the Knight in shinning armor, atleast be equitable. You had added zero value to this thread.

Last edited:
Cobracutter, your last post was a good one , nothing wrong with disagreeing. That's what gets the truth out one way or another in the end. I think that's what we all seek. Your comments did not offend me whatsoever because I'm grown up enough words or Internet bashing mean nothing to me. I do apologize to you for my remarks. Poking a litte humor at your expense was not personal. I understand what you were getting at about finances early on but you went about it in the wrong way. Nothing that I don't do all the time, I have that problem as well! As for Graham, you should thank him, he's only warning you of a possible ban. He's here to help, not hurt!

I appologize for the insult as well. Its easy to escalte a conversation durring debate, and it was not nessisary.

I have ZERO problem with anyone with a differeing or opposite opinion/view/experince. Debate is fun and enriches the conversation with new information. All I ask is back you what you say with logic and reason, and think.

I do have an issue with people who make smart ass comments while making moronic statements.

It is also extreamly frustrating having to repeat yourself 20 times, and explain every reason or rational beacuse an ignorant poster does not have a basic understanding of the subject, yet feels compelled to argue or attack those that do.

Graham is just looking for attention. If he actualy cared he would have PM'ed or tried to diffuse the situation... instead he just wants to throw his 2 cents in there and pad his post count (24K .....you must have ALOT of time on your hands).

Last edited:

To be fair...you do come off as a bit of a cunt.

And to use your own logic...you posted a few examples of messed up rifles when hundred of thousands are produced.

A factory rem or savage will work just fine for the majority of people....including competition shooters.

LL himself stated he'd rather have a factory or AIAW then a custom action when it comes to rifles you have to depend on.

Most factory guns are gonna shoot about the same 3/4-1 moa accuracy.

Last edited:

I am sure the Mods and Frank have been reading this, they don't need you and your Jr. Gman badge to do their job. If they had a problem with what has been said, they will say so or atleast PM us.
Proving that you also haven't a clue about how this site works.

But then, I shouldn't expect that you be any more accepting of advice, or help, than you are of criticism and of other people.

We don't have many mods here, and they do ask that we police each other, thus the existence of a Notify function.

Graham is just looking for attention. If he actualy cared he would have PM'ed or tried to diffuse the situation... instead he just wants to throw his 2 cents in there and pad his post count (24K .....you must have ALOT of time on your hands).
As to your comment about my post count, it's a joke: I don't really have twenty-thousand-plus posts. Frank made-up the number. We find it amusing that ever since he did that people like you feel the need to comment on how many posts I have, and about padding my post count, as if that makes for valid criticism of anything I say.

Last edited:
This my latest project, and would be off to Chad in a heart-beat if I had the disposable income to spare... Christmas SUCKS! $1850 invested so far. It is a factory barreled Remington chambered in 7-08, in a pillar bedded McMillan A-5 with Badger M-5 bottom-metal, Scope is SS 3-15 in Aadland double lug rings.

Attachments

• IMG_1410 (800x533).jpg
    IMG_1410 (800x533).jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 19
To be fair...you do come off as a bit of a cunt.

And to use your own logic...you posted a few examples of messed up rifles when hundred of thousands are produced.

A factory rem or savage will work just fine for the majority of people....including competition shooters.

LL himself stated he'd rather have a factory or AIAW then a custom action when it comes to rifles you have to depend on.

Most factory guns are gonna shoot about the same 3/4-1 moa accuracy.

Well I can be kinda be a cunt to be fair. I never refuted that and know I come off abbrasive. However it is not in a vaccum and it is a response to idiocracy.

You are missing the point as well. THAT POST is not about how many rifles they produce or a few examples (which I would agure are much higher than the fan boys would admit) but to refute the fact that a poster said............... "Mine is a 223 but it shoots well, point being cant go wrong out of the box with a Savage no matter which you choose". That in itself is a false, missleading and dishonest statement based on the sheer number of failures and issues with that brand rifle along with MANY user's experinces on this site and in training enviorments. So either the poster is a Liar or he is ingorant. The OP should not be listening to posters like that in either case.

I am not sure why I have to keep repeating this, beacuse if you read the thread it would be pretty apparent.

EDIT: A factory rem sps and a AW/TRG are not the same. I Guess the M40x would be unreliable based on that logic considering it is a custom?

Last edited:
AS far as that Moron Moboost goes, I got 2 seperate PM's from random people who told me the guy is a clown and they know him from OK shooters.
This one gave me a chuckle:

Moboost is an annoying douche.
Not sure how he started posting on the hide but he has been a dumbass on the Oklahoma Shooters website for a long time.
If you want to really have a good laugh get him into an argument about scopes.
He loves 1" dia scopes.
I just ignore him cause he will spew crap till your fingers get tired replying.
I think it is his form of entertainment and ignoring him deprives him of hours of entertainment.

Funny thing, even if you add someone to ignore list, their messages still show-up if the site login times out.

Congrats, you just made a whole post for a sole reason of personal attack on me.

If you have an intelligent argument with me - please present it.
If you think I will sink to your low level of namecalling and cursing - sorry, you are on your own.

Here's the thing. Both sides of the argument are correct in some aspects. This sport is both expensive and also doesn't need to be, but it depends on your background. Most of the guys here grew up with guns. Their father owned guns, they knew exactly what they wanted coming out of the military, or both.

Someone mentioned that this sport is an expensive one, but I think that only REALLY applies to the initial investment. Once you have a couple kickass rifles, reloading equipment, range equipment, and the knowledge needed it doesn't really cost an arm and a leg anymore if you are content with what you have and aren't always looking for another upgrade. Although I think the $1500 budget is a little on the low end, it sure can get the man started. Most of us came into this with the same mindset. I had less of a budget than he does and here I am a couple years later maybe $7500 invested.

To the OP, you will get a lot of varying opinions on which products because sometimes there is no clear better choice. If there were, it would be the only choice left. If you can narrow it down to a couple choices, chances are that you can't go wrong with either. Scopes are the only thing that I have noticed having real problems on a large portion of them if you go too cheap, but a lot of the manufacturers are starting to pay good attention to the lower priced ones.

Goodluck.

You ignore me beacuse you are a moron. You are petty and refuse to look at truth, even if it's staring you right in the eyes. Pathetic.

Barrel profile has little to do with accurracy other than argued rigidy and less strinigng over heavy firing schedules. Had you actualy read more around here and posted less, you would have learned this.

If he doesn't even know what rifle to look at, how is he going to know what to look for? Most problems are not easily seen and will show up once he shoots......which amazingly is after he buys it (too fucking late broski).

Hell, even you admit that you had to use a 2piece base (laughable) to correct for piss poor QC, yet you still recomend a SPS?

How the fuck is a 2 piece base which will not only be on two seperate planes (fuck me, I already confused you with geometry terms) based on base machining variance and mounting point on the reciever.............Going to stress a scope (AGAIN LAUGHABLE) less than a solid, 1 piece continuous base? I swear to fucking god ignorance must be bliss beacuse listening to your stupidity makes me hurt.

Do you understand how undeniably STUPID and contridictry you sound?

You should worry more about making sound decisions for youself, before you start giving advice to others.

Since this thread has turned into a dog pile on me beacuse you don't like the manner in which I present these facts, whose next?

The problems that have been mentioned recently such as recoil lug miss alignment are easy to spot

If you actually read the whole post then you'd have seen I said with burris signature rings. Thee are the ones with the plastic gimbally liners, therefor you do the maths.

And I don't understand why you feel the need to talk down to everyone. Perhaps you have tertiary neuro syphilis, giving you delusions of grandeur? You know very little about me or everyone else on this thread, do you act this way in the real world? The way you carry on lets hope there are no checks on mental well-being before gun sales or you may have to find a new hobby. YOU ARE UNWELL!!!!!

SNIP

"The problems that have been mentioned recently such as recoil lug miss alignment are easy to spot"

A: They may be but there are also a number of issues that are not easy to spot, and many that maybe only be visable/identifed by ansavy/ experienced user of that platform/gunsmith/rifles in general.

"If you actually read the whole post then you'd have seen I said with burris signature rings. Thee are the ones with the plastic gimbally liners, therefor you do the maths."

A: I have read every word in this thread, ATLEAST 3 times. Infact based on some of the mornic responses, I had to backtrack and make sure it wasn't me that was missleading. You said " I've used 2 piece bases with Burris Sig rings to correct for the poor QC and not to stress the scope (I also shimmed the bases to 20moa)...". Now either english is your second language or you cannot communicate effectivley if you are now saying that the RINGS are the problem. What does "Stressing" of a Scope(LOL) and 2piece bases/rings have ANYTHING to with the QC of remington. Your post would leave any normal thinking human who read it to say that you used a "workaround" for the poor QC of the RIFLE. Otherwise what is the point of even making that statement , as it has zero relevence to the disccsion or subject of the remington 700 QC and build quality. Now you start talking about plastic liners and have the gaul to tell me to ....."do the Maths". I will reserve what I really want to say to you out of respect for this site and not trying to further derail this trainwreck.

And I don't understand why you feel the need to talk down to everyone. Perhaps you have tertiary neuro syphilis, giving you delusions of grandeur? You know very little about me or everyone else on this thread, do you act this way in the real world? The way you carry on lets hope there are no checks on mental well-being before gun sales or you may have to find a new hobby. YOU ARE UNWELL!!!!!

A. YOU, who had neither posted or were referened ANYWHERE in this thread, decide to jump in and start your babling off with calling me a Cunt. I had not insulted or even challenegd anything you had said (considering you were not even posting), so I am not sure why you felt the need to interject yourself into this conversation, and throw a pretty heavy insult right off the bat. The fact that your whole post reeks of stupidity and ignorance, just reinforces that your motive was not to challenge the disscusion, but to attack me out of whatever inferiority complex you have. Clearly you are part of that 95% and are blissfully ignorant. The real tradegdy is that others have to put up with your shit all the while you bee bopping along, all the more oblivious.

Had you not started out your little patchwork of words and attempts at coherent sentances with calling me a Cunt, the conversation would have went much differently.

make sure to take a look at the Tikka offerings. They are rifles made in Finland, part of Beretta now but are known to be very accurate out of the box. They are the cheaper little brothers to the Finnish SAKO brand that makes the TRG22/42.

You been on this site about 10 minutes and have the balls to start throwing weight around....... I did in fact answer the OP's questions.....A couple times........Your just too fucking stupid and/or lazy to actually read the threads you post in.

What does PRS or 100/20 have to do with ANYTHING? You know what? How many Savages are even PLACING in the the top 25 in PRS? How many are even used by serious match shooters? You want to go there, we can. WHAT is YOUR PRS Standing? Where is your Presidents 100/ Gov20 Tab? If they are the definition of someone who knows what they are talking about........then put up or shut up.

Another fucking retarded poster who has to get his shot in, despite having less intelligence than a fucking pine knot.

You in a nutshell told the OP he is to poor to participate in this sport, which is complete bullshit. I started off with a 700 sps-v in .308, B&C A5 which I glass bedded myself, SWFA 12x42, badger base and swfa rings. I learned a lot from this rig. Got into handloading, and with 43.3gr varget and 175smk's .015 off the lands I keep a 10 shot string at 200yds in a 1" grouping. Bang steel to 850yds in the rain and hit 8/10. To say he can't build a rifle for that budget and enjoy shooting is beyond ridiculous.

I never claimed to be and sort of marksman, however I have placed in my local USPSA events. When my budget allows that POS remington will get trued up rebarreled in 6mm competition match and I will compete in precision rifle events. Funny thing is the guys at my local range in bradford, fl arnt near as critical and just plain fucking shitty as you they actually help one another out and don't judge a person by his equipment, but by the drive they have and love of the sport. Again please tell with all your experience and high dollar equipment the fuck have you accomplished beside earning yourself a reputation as a cocksucker on this forum.

You in a nutshell told the OP he is to poor to participate in this sport, which is complete bullshit. I started off with a 700 sps-v in .308, B&C A5 which I glass bedded myself, SWFA 12x42, badger base and swfa rings. I learned a lot from this rig. Got into handloading, and with 43.3gr varget and 175smk's .015 off the lands I keep a 10 shot string at 200yds in a 1" grouping. Bang steel to 850yds in the rain and hit 8/10. To say he can't build a rifle for that budget and enjoy shooting is beyond ridiculous.

I never claimed to be and sort of marksman, however I have placed in my local USPSA events. When my budget allows that POS remington will get trued up rebarreled in 6mm competition match and I will compete in precision rifle events. Funny thing is the guys at my local range in bradford, fl arnt near as critical and just plain fucking shitty as you they actually help one another out and don't judge a person by his equipment, but by the drive they have and love of the sport. Again please tell with all your experience and high dollar equipment the fuck have you accomplished beside earning yourself a reputation as a cocksucker on this forum.

No I told the OP the reality of this sport based on HIS self identification of being "poor" while having a very limited budget. Based on his lack of knowledge of the subject I also assumed he is lacking in skills/fundementals which would only make this endevor harder.

I reccomended he spend the money on a good .22 and ammo and LEARN TO SHOOT before taking a plunge into a very expensive sport that add's up quickly and has perishable skills that require someone to shoot often to stay profiecent.

Why are you guys still talking about reloading when A. He said he is going to shoot only factory ammo and B. Reloading is not cheaper unless you shoot a ton of rounds/exotic calibers to not ony break even on equipment costs, but componets that need to be bought in bulk to be cost effective and a new skill that takes time AND MONEY to learn?

Based on what you just said...... Price him out 700 sps-v with a B&C, Badger base, SWFA rings, A SS, A reloading setup, and all the accesories needed to support the hobby. Now tell me how much of his $1500 is left over for componets/factory ammo, range fees, targets/stands, trasnportation,ect. So now he has a bunch of shiney shit and has no idea how to deploy any of it. Might as well just hang it on the wall

He would be better off with a .22, a few bricks of ammo and going to a couple appleseed shoots. When he masters that he can take a class or two with trainer supplied equipment or watch some matches/borrow gear and he will have an idea what HE NEEDS AND WANTS, and not waste a fuck ton of money listening to people like you.

There is a reason I say what I say, I am 10 steps ahead of you and had already mentaly calcualted the cost before I even posted in this thread, which is a part of the reason I reccomended what I did.

You ask me to throw my creds on the table, but backtrack when I reverse it on you. You then say you have placed in a local USPSA event..............ROFL now your local pistol matches have some sort of corellation with Long rifles? Maybe you should think a bit before you open your mouth next time.

And then you go on to call me a cocksucker................ while ignoring every question I have asked you.

Last edited:
Again please tell with all your experience and high dollar equipment the fuck have you accomplished beside earning yourself a reputation as a cocksucker on this forum.

Don't step into a bully trap.

This is kindergarten tactics - soon enough he'll be calling moderators, quoting this, saying how he was all polite-like; and how you and 10 other people called him names and how he was forced to defend himself.

I can't see the posts but I'm sure it went from "fuck", "moron", "douche" and "shit" to very polite and coherent responses.

IGNORE. Ban hammer might be merciless.

Last edited:
EDIT: A factory rem sps and a AW/TRG are not the same. I Guess the M40x would be unreliable based on that logic considering it is a custom?

Can't say ......no one spoke specifically of the 40x, just custom actions in general. A 40x is usually a single shot action so I don't think it really comes into play.

As for rem 700 vs AW......I know. I've been lucky enough to own AIAWs and custom actions from several different makers.

All my current rifles are built on rem 700s

Last edited:
Rrflyer,

M40x as in M40A1, A2.... not the rem 40x.

Sorry for the confusion, I should have been more clear.

Last edited:
Many good suggestions here and a bunch of bullshit to go along with it.

The savage is a fine rifle to start with, as is the Remington.
If the Remington action is a complete piece of shit, as some would have you believe, I'm sure Tac-Ops would have moved on to something else long ago.

They are BOTH mass produced firearms that typically shoot better than a new shooter is capable of.

As mass produced rifles, turds get through. When you crank out as many of these rifles as both Savage and Remington do, it's gonna happen.
Tikka's have an awesome action, very smooth and they are renown for their accuracy as well.

IMHO, one of the best, unsung and often overlooked rifles is the HOWA 1500 varmint type rifles. They have 20" barrel varieties available as well as 24 or 26 inch (not sure which). They are a quality action with a very nice one piece bolt and a good factory trigger.
If you get one with a laminated stock, you can glass bed it yourself and be good to go, otherwise there are B&C stocks available as well as a couple of Chassis' and probably McMillan and Manners (not positive of this).

My bad. I don't have any experience with em.

I had always thought they were trued up 700 actions.

They are complete, in house custom rifles built off the 700 action. The point I was making is that it is not a "factory" gun and to make the assertation that a factory 700 sps is more reliable than a M40A5 or GAP or Surgeon rifle (which are all custom, some debate can be made if the scapel is a factory or low rate custom production) is just silly.

The NASCAR reference is pretty spot on. To call one a Ford or a Chevy is pretty missleading and intellectually dishonest when used as a basis for why one would buy either brand.

I just put together a heavy barrel Howa 1500 with a Bell and Carlson stock, Vortex Viper HS-T scope, Talley 20 moa rail and TPS rings for less than $1500, and so far I am very happy with it.

If you want to PM me I will tell you where you can get a good deal on a Howa barreled action.

Last edited:
$1500 budget since I am poor,can it be done?

Off the shelf gun, off the shelf ammo, and a scope. Steel targets, coyotes and deer under 500-600 yards after I become proficient enough to know where I'm shooting.

What gun, caliber and scope?
7-08, 300wm, 260, 308?
Rem 700, tikka, savage?
Vortex 4-16, 5-15, 6-24?

Remington SPS Tactical in 308 for $590 (Gunbroker -àFFL..-àMe)
Remington 5R Stock (take off) $245
SWFA SS 10X42 w/ side focus $345
Reload support for 308 (dies, bullets, collets etc etc etc)$151

I already have an EGW 20MOA base, a set of XTR Burris scoperings in 30mm and a KRG Bolt Lift from a previous purchase totaling $135

My budget hit $1466, and I was aiming for the magic $1500myself. I’m too heavy for shootingprone, so I opted out of a bipod for now. Bench shooting / paper hunting is fine with me.

Admittedly I am too poor for the sport, but I do have assetsfrom another hobby that I liquidate from time to time to support the call… Idon’t drink or smoke, so I spend my money and time on consuming hobbies.

I rather enjoy thechallenge of a budget precision build… the hunt for the parts and the joy ofthe score can be as much fun as the shoot! Regardless, I can participate in fun competition or just shoot for fun. Also, reloading is a great way to immerse yourselfon those long evenings, and is the next logical step in the hobby. Long range canbe quite addictive on all levels…

Edit: Just took advantage of SWFA's Black Friday sale, and got the 10X42 for $70 less...

Last edited:
$1500 dollar budget. Here is my exact rig and it cost just less than your $1500 budget.

Savage Model 10 FCP-K lefty Accustock, Accutrigger- shit rifle
Vortex Viper PST 4-16 mil/mil SFP (it stays at 16x most of the time)- shit scope
Burris XTB 2 piece base- oh the horror
Burris Signature Zee medium height rings with inserts to gain 20MOA adjustment- shit rings
Harris 6-9 inch bipod- also shit

I'm sure to some my rig is garbage, but I have over 2500 rounds through this rifle with zero issues. And it still shoots 1/2 MOA.

Also, YouTube Savage F Class rifles, Team Savage is winning on the world stage with FACTORY off the shelf rifles.

Yeah, personally I'd be pissed if someone told me all I did was protect convoys (unless I was a contractor).... Guess us Army sniper school candidates/graduates couldn't complete that task. Carry on high speed. I bet your apartment reeks of leather bound books and rich mahogany..... and you call it the skankserwary aka where you bring back all those fine ass ladies.

This is one of the best replies I've read anywhere! Thanks to whomever pointed out the "ignore" button; Cobracutter was the first person I've added, but had I known about it sooner, I'd had used it with two or three other members before him (in time). I enjoy the site, which has excellent information and layout, but there's always the occasional douchebag who's never grown up and insists in voicing his dumb opinion way more than he should be allowed to.

OP, if you sift through the replies, you will find various rifle and optics combinations that will fit your criteria and enable you to get started. Most will allow you to upgrade components as your skill and budget improves; assuming you take to the sport.

Welcome and good luck!

Well I can be kinda be a cunt to be fair. I never refuted that and know I come off abbrasive. However it is not in a vaccum and it is a response to idiocracy.

You are missing the point as well. THAT POST is not about how many rifles they produce or a few examples (which I would agure are much higher than the fan boys would admit) but to refute the fact that a poster said............... "Mine is a 223 but it shoots well, point being cant go wrong out of the box with a Savage no matter which you choose". That in itself is a false, missleading and dishonest statement based on the sheer number of failures and issues with that brand rifle along with MANY user's experinces on this site and in training enviorments. So either the poster is a Liar or he is ingorant. The OP should not be listening to posters like that in either case.

I am not sure why I have to keep repeating this, beacuse if you read the thread it would be pretty apparent.

REMINGTON AND SAVAGE have probably made 250 MILLION RIFLES or more in their existence...imagine that for a moment, damn near enough to give every man woman and child in this country a rifle...at least the legal ones...you yourself admit you can come off abrasive...DAMN thats an understatement...and the total number of real FACTORY BASED PROBLEMS, real problems not user error, or just sheer stupidity is just a tiny drop in the bucket when compared to the total number of rifles built and sold and the hundreds of millions, maybe BILLION of rounds sent downrange by all these same rifles...speak of statistical assurance...are they as good or as expensive as a one off custom? Nope...A High end Smithy work of art? Nope...kid didn't ask advise about a Ferrari...he was asking what kind of pick up truck would get him from point A to Point B...

I will give you this...your advise about buying a good 22 and a few bricks of LR is a sound argument...IF he had asked about Hey whatta ya think? I'm trying to break into long range shooting and I have a limited budget should I bite the bullet and buy a center fire OR get a 22 and learn first?

A factory Rifle be it a Savage or a Reminton, a Howa, a Tikka would all serve him fine and fit in his budget...the fact that you insist on slinging mud, character assassination, acting as if you and YOU alone have all the answers speaks volumes about YOU and your character...I could not by any stretch of the imagination imagine being in the same room with such an arrogant ass...I'd have to just shake my head and laugh at you...and probably infuriate the piss out of you...

I do hope you get better, or resolve the issues you have that make you the internet bully and forum thread prick that you have been here to all these good people trying to help this kid out...good luck...I'm done...really...I do hope you get better...and have a very Happy Thanksgiving...

Last edited:
This is my rig under 1500.00
Rem 700p police sniper 900.00 used but as new
Waren 20MOA steel base and Steel rings 175.00
SWFA 16X scope 320.00
Total 1395.00
I choose Rem. 700P for this reason.
HS precision comes with aluminum pillar bedded action
40X trigger no need to replace trigger
26" heavy barrel if you want to shoot over 500 yards you will get better power burn out of the 26" barrel
These guns were built for Law enforcement first and not even offered to civilian market when they first came out. They are still being bought by law enforcement today. Mine is very accurate I have only shoot it at 100 yards and the bullet holes were touching after site in.
I compete in 22LR Bench Rest nationally in IR 50/50 and ARA and yes I have won a lot of wood and have shoot several 250 targets with 18x's my best. 250 25X is perfect. In my group Rimfire Ridge Lonsdale, AR there are two World Record Holders tuff group.
I just wanted to try Center Fire guns and already have all my reloading equipment brought and learning from here how to use it. Great place to learn I hope this will help.
Good Luck
May your targets always have x's

FN SPR A1 from Tactical Coordination is the best value put there as far as rifles go. The Model 70 action is heads and shoulders above almost anything out there.

The rifle can be upgraded down the road and isnt quite the money pit a Remington can be. Stockdoc can do the cheekpiece for $200. CDI or Tac-Cord can do the CDI bottom metal.

And down the road, if you decide that a $4k 700 clone custom in 6mmWTF is what gets your dick hard...you can sell the SPR for pretty close to what you paid for it...or just keep the damn thing because its so awesome.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Well i bit the bullet and found a savage 12lrp 6.5 creedmoor for $850. Im sure it will shoot as good as i can. Im not planning on using it near as much as some of yall so im sure it will work fine for my needs. SS 3-15x42 is here and demo b is like new imo. Just need a base and rings and some 140 amax.

Well i bit the bullet and found a savage 12lrp 6.5 creedmoor for $850. Im sure it will shoot as good as i can. Im not planning on using it near as much as some of yall so im sure it will work fine for my needs. SS 3-15x42 is here and demo b is like new imo. Just need a base and rings and some 140 amax.

Keep us posted, Im sure it will be fun!

Sent from my IPhone 5S.