• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

1500 yard range in/near SoCal? Nevada.

ColBatGuano

Private
Minuteman
May 1, 2010
I'm in Orange County and looking for a place to safely shoot .338LM to 1,500 yards or further.

Have spent the last hour searching, but was unable to find a positive confirmation on a legal place to shoot that far. Hodge Rd. rumored closed to shooting, and Ft. Irwin seems maxed out at 600 yards.

Anyone have recent experience? Would be up for a group trip as well...let you try out my new DTA SRS ;-).

Nevada is the second option, but hopefully there is something closer.

Thanks.

Re: 1500 yard range in/near SoCal? Nevada.

We have 1000yd matches at Desert Marksman Gun Club, near Palmdale 5/6 times a year. Next one is Oct. 31

Thanks. I'll get on all of those.

For out to 1,000 yds. with partners for spotting, real pits and target pullers, the Santa Margarita Gun Club on Camp Pendleton is really nice.

Santa Margarita Gun Club

Next open practice is Saturday, September 18.

You have to be a member but that's easy and inexpensive.

Good people there, very friendly and helpful to new shooters.

Knowing Carlos Hathcock was a member of this club, makes me focus that much harder. Hope to see you there.

We also have pits with target pullers, also just shot a 600yd NIGHT match ( we installed permante lights ) 30 shooters. We limit most 1000yd day shoots to 40 shooters, they fill up fast. Desert Marksman is the only 1000yd range open to the public on shoot days, I know of in SoCal. Non-military range

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrs66vette</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We also have pits with target pullers, also just shot a 600yd NIGHT match ( we installed permante lights ) 30 shooters. We limit most 1000yd day shoots to 40 shooters, they fill up fast. Desert Marksman is the only 1000yd range open to the public on shoot days, I know of in SoCal. Non-military range </div></div>

That sounds great. Any caliber restrictions?

Right now we have 3 classes; 50cal, Mag cals, everything else. We're thinking about combinding 50cal & Mag, it all depends on how many 50 shooters sign up. We have guys that shoot everything from 223AI; 338lm; 300wm; 375ct; 416b pretty much if it will make a 1000yds someone will be shooting it! Very friendly group from all over SoCal.

Yeah, go with Desert Marksman if you want a proper KD range. There's BLM land out near Barstow that you can shoot pretty far, but it can be too windy for paper targets. For that you need to do what I did: buy a 4x4 and some steel targets
wink.gif

I have a shit ton of BLM land here and there is one place I have found that is probably over 1500 but I have only ranged it to 1000. I will make a trip out there today and laser it for you. It is 26 miles from my driveway, it is nothing fancy just desert and alot of it.

There is also a 1000 yard range in Piru, east of Castaic. In the wintertime, Desert Marksman extends to 1400 yards.

I only have a 308(700P) and recently got in to the discipline but if any one is up for a shooting trip or just a day at a range I'm up for it! I could use all the practice I can get. I would also appreciate the oopertunity to fondle a DTA SRS.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ace31</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I only have a 308(700P) and recently got in to the discipline but if any one is up for a shooting trip or just a day at a range I'm up for it! I could use all the practice I can get. I would also appreciate the oopertunity to fondle a DTA SRS. </div></div>

I wrote "try it out"...fondling is a different matter, and will be charged by the hour.

Thanks to all for the responses. I've got steel on order and as soon as I get my schedule worked out I will post back to see if anyone wants to make a run to the desert.

swarrick: thanks for doing that...very nice.

I have a couple areas I go to regularly off HWY 58 that are BLM land where you can get out to 1500+. PM if interested sometime.

Batt61 now where would that be
smirk.gif
I am up in Ridgecrest and the there is a ton of land out here. Hit me up next time you go "practice" I am not that far away.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ColBatGuano</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ace31</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I only have a 308(700P) and recently got in to the discipline but if any one is up for a shooting trip or just a day at a range I'm up for it! I could use all the practice I can get. I would also appreciate the oopertunity to fondle a DTA SRS. </div></div>

I wrote "try it out"...fondling is a different matter, and will be charged by the hour.

Thanks to all for the responses. I've got steel on order and as soon as I get my schedule worked out I will post back to see if anyone wants to make a run to the desert.

swarrick: thanks for doing that...very nice. </div></div>

Understood. lol But seriously if you gents ever decide you want to get some range time where ever please PM me. I'll be more than happy to tag along.

Swarrick will do next time I head out there. Place I go most often is NW of Mojave. Need a 4x4 to get there - do you still have your jeep?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Batt61</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Swarrick will do next time I head out there. Place I go most often is NE of Mojave. Need a 4x4 to get there - do you still have your jeep?</div></div>

Yup, Jeep is up and running! PM me any time.