• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

1500 yd range near Dallas "update:open shoot"

Goose375

Sergeant
Minuteman
Gentlemen, I've been looking for some land to put a long distance range on near the DFW metroplex area and it has been challenging. The land is the biggest expense here and the hardest to find. Having said that, I have found a site that will allow a 1500yd range along with rifle and pistol bays. I understand the demand for the growing long range sport and want to be able to supply North Texas with a daily long distance range to shoot on as well as possibly monthly matches. I am currently in Afghanistan trying to finance this whole thing and will be back in Tx here at the end of the month. PM me if you are interested or email me at [email protected]

Re: opening 1000-2000 range near Dallas, need partner

I wish I had that kind of scratch laying around. I may be interested in hearing the details.

Shame he's only looking for gentlemen.

Have you looked at the NRA site, they have lots of information on setting up rifle and pistol ranges, as well as insurance requirements. (the clean up is the expensive thing)

The good thing is you are locating in Texas, which specifically has a law that seeks to protect rifle ranges from being shut down by their neighbors.

JeffVN

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: UKDslayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shame he's only looking for gentlemen.</div></div>

I'm sure he wouldn't object, just saying.

The plans are to make it a club, so it won't be completely public but the membership is open to anyone. We are going to try to make this club a permanent fixture in the community so precautions will be taken to facilitate that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jeffvn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you looked at the NRA site, they have lots of information on setting up rifle and pistol ranges, as well as insurance requirements. (the clean up is the expensive thing)

The good thing is you are locating in Texas, which specifically has a law that seeks to protect rifle ranges from being shut down by their neighbors.

JeffVN</div></div>
Not so much Jeff, neighbors have killed Collin County gun ranges, Backwoods Traps, Ralph's in Tom Bean and have caused a number of restrictions on Elm Fork in Dallas. Top Gun in "McKinney" has reported problems from neighbors as well... Even the Plano Police Range is having issues from the subdivisions around it...

Thats what pisses me off. We have a local range that has been established for years and now a really nice subdivision has moved in close to the area and the complaints start rolling in. Like the owner said hey were here first if you dont like it you shouldnt have bought a house so close to a gun range.

Get used to it, its happening everywhere.....its the "not in my back yard after I move in" syndrome.

If it can be worked out, this would be a welcome addition for the shooting community in the DFW area. I would be on board for a membership. Best of luck

What's the approximate location. DFW is a big place. I'm currently a member of Big Rock Gun Club which has a 500 yd range (private club). It is past Cedar Creek Lake - about 60 miles from downtown Dallas.

Please let us know if this does become a reality! That would be amazing. As good as shooting 100 yards is for practicing, some distance would be GREATLY appreciated. Dallas does not have anything like this as far as I know... please make this a reality.

Be sure to keep us updated.

Well add me to the list of people that jump at the chance to become a member. I currently shoot at Top Gun and it is only open 3 days a week and limited to 500 yards.

There are 1000 yard ranges already in the Dallas and Houston areas. Maybe you want to try another area.......like San Antonio.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YourMotherTrebek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There are 1000 yard ranges already in the Dallas and Houston areas. Maybe you want to try another area.......like San Antonio. </div></div>

Couldn't have said it better. So how bout a look at San Antonio.

Try Best of the West there north of SA, 1000yd range with monthly long range matches... The closest 1000 yd range to Dallas is in Mingus, TX, 108 miles west. I'm trying for 25 miles, UKD steel out to 1500. I'll keep ya'll posted on the outcome.

Anything within a 60 miles of dallas is welcomed with arms wide open. Again, let us know how it goes. Good Luck

cheapest land is NW of DFW around Bowie /Jacksboro area, lots of open area too with little population. if i had the coin that would be my move.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: UKDslayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shame he's only looking for gentlemen. </div></div>

That's funny, UKD!

She's a great shooter, too!

My range is 1400 and I'm trying to see if one mile will be plausible. However, my range is private and only for instruction or small group days. It is not open to memberships.

That being said, I get calls all the time for people looking for a club to join like what you're describing. I refer them to Tacpro and Top Gun right now. I also tell them to watch for open range days with Tiger Valley when they are available.

I think you would be successful if you opened what you are talking about in the DFW area as long as the location is an easy drive out of Dallas.

I wish we could get something like that up here in Washington.

COUNT ME IN FOR A MEMBERSHIP TO!! I JUST MOVED HERE FROM EAST TEXAS WITH ALL THE SHOOTING I COULD STAND AND NOW ALL I CAN DO IS GO SHOOT 100 AT ELM CREEK AND POKE HOLES IN PEOPLES BULLEYES FOR EM HAHA. ILL TAKE A MEMBERSHIP!!

ON SECOND THOUGHT IF YOU NEED SOME SORT OF PART TIME MANAGMENT LET ME KNOW TOO. ILL DO ANYTHING TO GET OUT FROM THE MIDST OF THESE FREAKIN BUILDINGS

My range is nice, but it's 200yrd max. I would absolutely be interested in joining a long range club. I am dying to learn how to shoot out to 1,000.

Definately in for a membership and, I have at least two other friends I shoot with that will join the same day I do.

I'd think hard about putting up a KD range along with it with full service pits ( along with the UKD range )... you can host DFW F-Class matches and draw folks from all over and other paper target matches. Jay's range is private for classes, Tiger Valley is busy with contract work, TacPro is great and, I'm a member but, it's 2hrs.. this range could be for DFW matches and memberships... nobody would even step on anyone else and still be wildly successful.

I'll still keep my TacPro membership.. I want to make sure and support anyone with an open 1000yd range in the area.

One thing you may take from Tiger Valley is have open shoot days... maybe one weekend/month ( make it cheap enough to get new guys out ) to bring in new shooters to the fold.

If you build it, we will cum ... er come.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goose375</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Try Best of the West there north of SA, 1000yd range with monthly long range matches... The closest 1000 yd range to Dallas is in Mingus, TX, 108 miles west. I'm trying for 25 miles, UKD steel out to 1500. I'll keep ya'll posted on the outcome. </div></div>

Best of the West is north of Austin and is pretty nice, located about 50 mins from downtown Austin. I would be in for sure if there were a range like that in close proximity to Dallas.

BTW, where is Top Gun?

UPDATE: Land has been purchased, So far it's looking good for 1500yd shots. I only spend about half the year home and the other half playing in the sand, having said that, Dirt probably won't be pushed until the fall. Your looking at 25 miles SE from down town Dallas. A private range on private land members only kind of deal. I don't have a membership cost for you yet as there is still a lot of things that need to happen in the mean time. It's looking like it will be a one firing line, UKD, steel target range from 300-1500, Trying to put in a 100-200 for paper and zeros and a few pistol bays. At the start this is probably going to be weekends only until I can get enough interest to open full time. Will keep you posted.. Goose

Let me be the first to officially request a membership!!!!!!

I've got two other guys over here jumping up and down at work!!!!

Not sure if I could justify a full membership ( depending on cost) based on the drive but if you charge a day fee, I and several friends would make the drive 4-6 times a year. Stay safe, and I look forward to shooting at your new place.

I too would be interested. My range only goes out to 200 and I would definitely like to shoot out a lot farther. Tac Pro is in my near future, but something closer to DFW would be outstanding.

thats amazing! right in my back yard, def keep us posted I know for a fact you got myself plus two more

I can shoot 1000 at Long Range Alley, but I'd love to have a place to try longer distances. Dallas isn't that far from Shreveport.

Please dear God keep us updated. I am going insane shooting paper at a 100 yds here in lubbock, especially with all this open land. Im done with school in a year, and will be moving back to Dallas. Would love the opportunity to shoot at some distance. Goodluck with everything!

If you build it they will come.

Good luck Adam. I will be there opening day.

Just a thought but it would be cool if a new range was configured with a wireless network. Shooters could bring their own wireless cameras and notebooks (or rent them to them) for checking distance shots.

I bet that would be a big selling point and not too expensive to set up compared to all the other stuff.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PBinWA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just a thought but it would be cool if a new range was configured with a wireless network.</div></div>

That's what I would do. If the OP is interested in going that route, I would be able to help design and implement it.

I am looking into something in that realm.. The NRA's range development conference was this past week and I came home with tons of great ideas. Not to mention the tons of vendors there trying to sell their bullet traps and retriever systems.

I talked with the guys of Shot Response and discussed some viable options. Check out all of the videos but this one is what I'm leaning towards. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tP1BSa1Z320# The wireless system can reach to +1200m and is accurate to the millimeter. She's a bit pricey and most likely not going to be there opening day, but it's something I think would be worth working toward.

This sounds close to my shooting lease. I've only found a place to shoot 650 yards on it. And that's only if know one is around. I'd be in fo sho

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goose375</div><div class="ubbcode-body">UPDATE: Land has been purchased, So far it's looking good for 1500yd shots. I only spend about half the year home and the other half playing in the sand, having said that, Dirt probably won't be pushed until the fall. Your looking at 25 miles SE from down town Dallas. A private range on private land members only kind of deal. I don't have a membership cost for you yet as there is still a lot of things that need to happen in the mean time. It's looking like it will be a one firing line, UKD, steel target range from 300-1500, Trying to put in a 100-200 for paper and zeros and a few pistol bays. At the start this is probably going to be weekends only until I can get enough interest to open full time. Will keep you posted.. Goose</div></div>