• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

155 gr vs 168 gr

scorpion168

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 28, 2013
NE TX
Another question about .308 bullets. Are the 155's usually more of a 200-400 yd shoot, and 168's a little further? I've been shooting 168 out to 400 yds. Would the 155 do the same job, maybe better? I hope this is not one of those loaded questions. Lol

155 HPBT is good to 1k pushed 2900 or faster. Palma is all about the 155's. I'm shooting a lot more 155's now as they seem to be easier to find. Found a great load with 48.8g of Alliant Power Pro 2000MR in LC cases. 2940ish FPS.

It's all about recoil. If you are just plinking go lighter than the 155's. Try the Sierra 135's or the Nosler 140's both work well out to 300yds. Speer 125 TNT's work nicely also but they are a flat base so I only shoot them at the 200yd line unless I have a really calm day then I'll shoot them at rapid prone (300yd). The 168gr SMK is the old 300m International bullet designed for the match in its original name. As far as Palma it is just not limited to the 155's (that is international rules), US rules allow any bullet weight. Try the 185gr Berger's you'll be happier.

I like the 175 SMKs. My barrel is a 1-10 twist Nd seems to like the heavier bullet. My barrel really loves the 185 Bergers but don't fit n my mag and they are pricey.

The weight really doesn't have anything to do with the distance a bullet is capable of. In the 168 class I've used the SMK, Nosler CC, and Hornady BTHP and Amax. In 155 class I've used the Scenar, Amax, and Berger. All of the 155's I've used out performed all of the 168's in supersonic distance, drop, and drift. IMO the 155 Scenar is one of the best long range bullets for the 308, and the best I have used to date. I'm talking real world use, not what it looks like in a ballistic computer. The Scenar gets way out there accurately and isn't finnicky at all to load for. You can jam it in the lands or jump it a mile, I didn't have that same experience with the Berger 155 or the Amax.

If anything is able to surpass the 155 Scenar I think it will be the Hornady 178gr BTHP or the Berger 185gr Juggernaut. I'm getting ready to experiment with the Juggernaut and I will be trying the 178gr BTHP once they are available again. The 175gr Amax and SMK are great bullets too but my experience has been the 155 Scenar typically equals the wind drift, has less drop, and stays super sonic longer.

Thats my .02.