• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

155 grain 308 secnar vs. Hornady AMAX?

david walter

Insightful commentator
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 22, 2007
Out west, but not too far west
Looking to build a load for my Montana. Boxer pointed me in the direction of the 155 Secnar. Are they that superior to the AMAX? They cost 50% more.

Not being cheap, but looking for real world data and observations between the two.

Also, anyone loading 2000MR with either? Varget?

Re: 155 grain 308 secnar vs. Hornady AMAX?

I've shot quite a few Scenars and A-maxs with Varget.

My experience is that the meplate on the Scenars is delicate and can be damaged during shipping. This is a non-factor at 600 yards and less, but shows up with flyers at 1000 yard. Because of the fragile nose and the tedious nature of uniforming meplates, I've stopped using Scenars (as good as they are) and am running A-maxs exclusively now.

I do not get the un-explainable flyers with A-maxs that were a regular (one in ten) result with the Scenars. YMMV. But, all my shooting buddies have switched to A-max bullets and we have all stopped getting the two, or three flyers per string that used to be the result with Scenars and Match Kings.

Varget works great with the 155 bullet weight and nobody I shoot with has found anything that is consistently better. Re15 works good, too. But, Re15 has never shown to be an improvement over Varget.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: David Walter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How's the AMAX on game animals? </div></div>

Textbook answer: Amax bullets are for target use only and should not be used on game.

Real world answer: Any critter you'd shoot at with a 308 is not going to survive when a 155gr projectile enters its vitals @ 1250+ fps.

I have found the scenars to be consistent performers for me. I have also been able to scoop them up for 30-33 cents apiece in the for sale forum here, as I am always on the lookout and always willing to buy a thousand at a time.

Here is the performance comparison, using a muzzle velocity of 2900 fps, Litz' G1 BC, and a density altitude of 2000 feet at 85 degrees Fahrenheit. Drop and drift expressed in mils, 100 yard zero's used, and drift figure represents a 10mph full value.

Scenar:
500 yards: drop 2.8, drift 1.0
750 yards: drop 5.5, drift 1.7
1000 yards: drop 9.1, drift 2.5
Supersonic range: 1205 yards

155 AMAX
500 yards: 2.9 drop/1.2 drift
750 yards: 5.8 drop/2.0 drift
1000 yards: 9.9 drop/2.9 drift
Supersonic range: 1080 yards.

To me, the scenar is the clear winner, but you can draw your own conclusions based on the data above.

I have a GAP that I shoot 155 scenars with and am hitting 2900 fps with a 1" group at 425 yds. I also have a 700 spst that shoots the 168 amax accurately out to 700. I use lapua brass and rem 9 1/2 lrp's with varget. Not trying to preach, but every gun likes it's own recipe. But I will say this , those scenars , with a bc of .508 are BAD TO THE BONE. If you find what your gun likes with the 155's pm me and let me know your data. Good luck

The true g1 bc of the scenar is close to .462, not .508 as reported by lapua. The Amax's are great at killing anything you would shoot with a 308.

different manufacturers have different ways of calculating BC and there are different BC models to boot, not to mention that the BC changes with velocity...

that being said I've had better luck with A-max's than scenars in my .260. for the same flyer reason noted above. I've got about 200 of each left. I'm going to further hone my loads and see if I can't find something that shoots lights out in both.

I have found on my rifle that the scenars are more accurate. with Varget and a-max i can no get an accurate group at 600 to save my life. but with 2000mr and scenars at 3000fps i am able to shoot .5-.75moa at 600 yards

I have found on my rifle that the scenars are more accurate. with Varget and a-max i can no get an accurate group at 600 to save my life. but with 2000mr and scenars at 3000fps i am able to shoot .5-.75moa at 600 yards