• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report 155 Scenars for deer hunting

338LM

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 20, 2003
STL Missouri
For any of you that have shot deer with a 155 Scenar out of a .308, do these bullets expand at all or do they tend to not expand and penetrate through? Do they tend to hold together or come apart? Anybody know what the Scenar does when it hits a bone?
Before somebody starts preaching to me that the Scenar is not meant for hunting, I know this. I want to actually know what the Scenar does from anybody who has actually used them on Whitetails.

Re: 155 Scenars for deer hunting

The 155 scenars have slightly thicker jackets over the sierra match kings.

I have seen scenars punch holes in mild steel (3mm) at 600 yards however the holes left dents and not cleanly punched holes.

I would imagine that at short range they would actually pass through easily, however I would also imagine that should that 155 hit the shoulder on the way out that animal would not go far.

I have heard from others that hunt with the 155 scenar that they are good to go on most things.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 338LM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For any of you that have shot deer with a 155 Scenar out of a .308, do these bullets expand at all or do they tend to not expand and penetrate through? Do they tend to hold together or come apart? Anybody know what the Scenar does when it hits a bone?
Before somebody starts preaching to me that the Scenar is not meant for hunting, I know this. I want to actually know what the Scenar does from anybody who has actually used them on Whitetails. </div></div>

140.jpg

This was a one shot kill at 470 meters from my Surgeon .308 a 155gr scenar. Broadside shot, behind the shoulder with complete penetration.

scan0039.jpg

Same rifle and load on loan did in this heavy bodied mule deer buck at 200 meters...also one shot.

scan0036.jpg

And another buck taken with the same...thats the exit hole showing. This shot was exactly 300 meters.

IMG_0398.jpg

Same guy as above from two years before with another buck he shot at 600 meters with the same setup....when he comes out to hunt with me, he leaves his rifle at home....grin!

2007063.jpg

One of the coolest elk I've ever been in on. My best friend from Miles City, Montana holding up his big 6X6 he shot with my GAP .308 at 447 meters..He put two 155gr scenars through his ribcage...the bull never took one step. We layed on the opposite ridge for almost four hours waitng for this bull to get up out of his bed in heavy timber allowing us a shot....the wait was worth it!!

I rock the 155's as well and they hammer! No reservations
All these deer were killed with my .308 and 155's

This Axis Buck was DRT at 165yrds
axis.jpg

WT 30yrds DRT, I rattled this one in
Hunting084.jpg

My wife's cull
suzsdeer.jpg

a few of mine
hunting200410pt.jpg

kt12pt.jpg

P1000339.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SingleShot85</div><div class="ubbcode-body">that is super pimp

</div></div>

You've done well my friend!! Great bucks!!

155 scenars are good bear medicine as well.....

bearhunt2010035.jpg

.308 and a 155 scenar from 450 meters...Montana 2010.

IMG_1247.jpg

This one was 530 meters...same load, rifle, Wyoming 2010.

Reactions: chevy327

I was going to post some anectdotal evidence of them not being very good for hunting based on them penetrating steel pipe and staying intact..... but based on the pics above, I think I'll just shut up now.

• Haha
Reactions: chevy327

Don't have any pics on hand but I took a small buck and doe at 247 yards last year with 155 scenars over 43.5 grains of RL15. Both DRT with behind the shoulder shots. Left nice big exit holes! I've taken alot of deer over the last several years with 168 SMK's and 155 Scenars and all have been very efficient, humane kills! I cannot be convinced that they are not good hunting rounds and that's based on my experience with them in the field.

Way to go Pat...gotta like those pics!

Do you suppose if I started to shoot 155's in mine I could get some bucks like that....laffin

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 338LM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For any of you that have shot deer with a 155 Scenar out of a .308, do these bullets expand at all or do they tend to not expand and penetrate through? Do they tend to hold together or come apart? Anybody know what the Scenar does when it hits a bone?
Before somebody starts preaching to me that the Scenar is not meant for hunting, I know this. I want to actually know what the Scenar does from anybody who has actually used them on Whitetails. </div></div>

I shot a doe with the 123 scenar Sunday morning. It was a backbone hit @ 685 yards--she fell right there. It entered and clipped the bottom of the backbone and exited about the size of a nickel. She was about 130lbs on the hoof and the bullet traveled probaly 8" thru her. I wish I would have hit her a little lower to test the bullet better, but oh well. I'm going to continue to use them hunting for now just due to the fact that they shoot incredible out of my 6.5x47.

PGS, you need a new friend?
wink.gif
That is some beautiful country and good looking deer you have. I'm jealous.

huh, I'm going to try 139's this weekend and see what happens

CKA, I've always wanted to deer hunt in Texas! Let a brother come out there and hunt with ya and I'll bring some 155's and see what happens! LOL

I have had minimal but disapointing experience with Scenars on Coyotes. A .338 Lapua penciled through and the coyote kept running until the second shot broke him down. Same thing happened with the 155s in a .308.

155 Amax in the .308 shoot as accurately as the Scenars (but you do give up some bc) with explosive results.
Every coyote has been a bang flop.
The Accubonds seem to be as accurate as the Scenars with excellent reliability.
I have switched to them for bigger game as they shoot EXTREMELY well in my .308-150gr, .338-225gr amd .375-260gr.

I would plan on shoulder or head shots if I was using Scenars on bigger game to try to create more damage.
The coyotes looked like they were shot with FMJs.
Maybe (hopefully) it isn't a problem with larger critters?

I think there are much better choices for hunting but when it comes right down to it - Shot placement usually determines the outcome, but bullet performance might determine how fast it will happen.

The scenars have thicker jackets on them which is why they just pop through soft flesh.

Hit a shoulder bone and the result is very different.

I have actually had explosive results on a fox at around 100 yards. The projectile entered the nasal cavity and rapidly deteriorated past the neck. The rear end of the fox was completely butterfly'd out, the neck split and eyes popping out.

If they have enough depth to penetrate you will see results.

A 155 scenar dropped mine on the 3rd of November, exit hole was larger than entrance hole.

montana2010013.jpg

Guys would the 185g berger VLD be good bullet for hunting out to 400m, anyone used them hunting.

I shot the VLD's in 168 and killed several antelope and mulies. Easily a killer round out to 400.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Kick-Ass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">well, come on </div></div>

Well okay then!! Seriously though, I've watched all those hunting shows since I was a kid and those big Texas whitetails are awesome!! I've always wanted to come out there and hunt on one of those places! Hopefully I'll be able to make that happen next year!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
bearhunt2010035.jpg

.308 and a 155 scenar from 450 meters...Montana 2010.

IMG_1247.jpg

This one was 530 meters...same load, rifle, Wyoming 2010. </div></div>

Tell me about that rifle please.

GA Precision built R700 SA .308.
Mcmillan Hunters Edge stock
#3 Rock 1-11"@24"
Jewell trigger
Badger M4 bottom metal
Cerro'ed OD
Talley LW rings
S&B 10X42 PMII