• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

155gr lapua scenar loads?

5RWill

Optics Fiend
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Oct 15, 2009
    Mississippi
    Just finished off groups out of my 5R. Was wondering other recommendations for powder types? Here is the best group i've fired. I shot 46-48gr varget in .5 increments. Groups started to open up as i went higher. But i felt i had pulled 1 shot out of every 3 shot group. And am tempted to reload them all to 5 shot groups. I had 2 touching in every group other than 48gr and then seem to have one flyer. But i was just wondering what are some accurate loads you all run with 155gr scenars?
    <span style="font-weight: bold">Load Data</span>
    Nosler custom Brass
    155gr scenar
    46gr varget
    OAL 2.800
    WLRM primers

4 Shots
    img00125201101191732.jpg

Reactions: Don Dial
    Re: 155gr lapua scenar loads?

I'm struggling with the 155 scenars. The best I have found so far is 46.0 of 8208. But I am anything but satisfied with it.

I'm playing with the seating a little more before I try another powder.

Heads up- be prepared for the "3-4 shots don't make a group" comments.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: thefitter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm struggling with the 155 scenars. The best I have found so far is 46.0 of 8208. But I am anything but satisfied with it.

I'm playing with the seating a little more before I try another powder.

Heads up- be prepared for the "3-4 shots don't make a group" comments.</div></div>

Well the only reason i didn't have that many shots on my last groups is because i didn't shoot all these in one sitting. So the second time out i took 1 bullet from each initial 4 shot group to use for fouling. What do people consider a group 5-10?

Try a different primer and seat the bullets out a little farther. Primers and powders have to marry up. Try BR2 primers with varget. If shooting 8208 try FGM 210 primers.

Reactions: Jerry m

I pretty much finished up my load build up for now.
    My rifle is a R700, Shilen Select Match 7HV, 24", 1:12.
    I am settling at:

48.1 grains Varget
    Federal 210M primers
    Hornady Match Brass
    2.213 OAL off Ogive
    155 Lapua Scenars

2961 fps Avgerage on a 51 degree day, 30.31, 26% humidity.

Rifle:
    Remington 700P in AICS
    26" Barrel 1:12 twist

Load:
    Lapua .308 brass fully formed
    Federal 210M Primers
    46.3 grains varget
    Lapua 155 scenar

I like to kiss the lands with this round

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Insayn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I pretty much finished up my load build up for now.
    My rifle is a R700, Shilen Select Match 7HV, 24", 1:12.
    I am settling at:

48.1 grains Varget
    Federal 210M primers
    Hornady Match Brass
    2.213 OAL off Ogive
    155 Lapua Scenars

2961 fps Avgerage on a 51 degree day, 30.31, 26% humidity.</div></div>

With 48.1gr Varget, do you get a lot of "crunch" sound when seating the bullets? Any pressure signs? I'm curious because I have never had the guts to try to stuff that much powder behind my 155s in my 5R.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: crazedone2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    With 48.1gr Varget, do you get a lot of "crunch" sound when seating the bullets? Any pressure signs? I'm curious because I have never had the guts to try to stuff that much powder behind my 155s in my 5R.</div></div>

I've loaded 48s and shot them. Yes they're compressed loads and i get plenty of "crunch" so to speak. Especially with nosler cases. While the case are nice and sturdy they seem to not be able to hold as much powder as other cases. I shot 48s and saw no high pressure signs. But one of my manuals says 47 as max load.

Vman what velocity are you getting with 46gr of varget? I'm hoping to have around 2830-2870. I know seating the bullet to kiss the lands helps in accuracy but i just hate the cam in the bolt when bolting a bullet seated on the lands it drives me insane.

I get a slight crunch, not a lot. My OAL is 2.85 off the meplat. So far I haven't seen any pressure signs on the 60 cases I've tested of that load. I'll have another 30 to test and zero in tomorrow.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blackops_2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Vman what velocity are you getting with 46gr of varget? I'm hoping to have around 2830-2870. I know seating the bullet to kiss the lands helps in accuracy but i just hate the cam in the bolt when bolting a bullet seated on the lands it drives me insane. </div></div>

When I mean kissing the lands, i mean literally just about to, or just touching... I cant really tell but I have set up my seater so that im seating about 0.001" in front of where my hornady tool says the lands are.

Most of my rounds chamber very easily. Occasionaly I will get one that feels a slight bit of resistance but i have put this down to case shoulder rubbing the chamber and not the projectile bitting into the lands. I resize my cases with as little bump as possible.

Velocity is 2915 FPS

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

When I mean kissing the lands, i mean literally just about to, or just touching... I cant really tell but I have set up my seater so that im seating about 0.001" in front of where my hornady tool says the lands are.

Most of my rounds chamber very easily. Occasionaly I will get one that feels a slight bit of resistance but i have put this down to case shoulder rubbing the chamber and not the projectile bitting into the lands. I resize my cases with as little bump as possible.

Velocity is 2915 FPS</div></div>

Very nice results on the velocity i wasn't expecting that much. My mentor that taught me how to reload always liked seating the bullets far out as he could without exceeding mag length, for better accuracy.

thanks for the info! I'll need to work up some loads up to 48gr to see if I can get my velocities up to 2850-2900fps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blackops_2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Velocity is 2915 FPS</div></div>

Very nice results on the velocity i wasn't expecting that much. My mentor that taught me how to reload always liked seating the bullets far out as he could without exceeding mag length, for better accuracy. </div></div>

I always try and reach to the lands when possible. I have read a few convincing pieces about the accuracy gains, be it minor or major, from loading to the lands.

I have ordered some Alpha Type 2 mags for my AICS chasis. These mags are clones of the AI mags which most systems use. These magazines offer a very long OAL.

I then need to have my feed ramp taken back a slight bit by the smith so that I can actually feed Alpha Type 2 Mag length rounds.

Im expecting that I should be able to feed rounds from the mag and kiss the lands on a long throated remington.

391311393.jpg

Notched%201.jpg

I'm also 0.020 off the lands. It is the furthest out I can get because of the HSP magazine.

A buddy and I had good luck with 44.6 and 44.9 respectively with 8208 and Rem 9 1/2.

My long range load is:

Case: Win
    Primer: CCI
    Powder: Varget 47.8 gr
    Bullet: 155 Scenar
    OAL: 2.948 or 0.015 from the lands
    MV: 2950 fps

Notes:
    A) not magazine length,
    B) right at the edge of sane pressures so use caution

Just finished off groups out of my 5R. Was wondering other recommendations for powder types? Here is the best group i've fired. I shot 46-48gr varget in .5 increments. Groups started to open up as i went higher. But i felt i had pulled 1 shot out of every 3 shot group. And am tempted to reload them all to 5 shot groups. I had 2 touching in every group other than 48gr and then seem to have one flyer. But i was just wondering what are some accurate loads you all run with 155gr scenars?
    <span style="font-weight: bold">Load Data</span>
    Nosler custom Brass
    155gr scenar
    46gr varget
    OAL 2.800
    WLRM primers

4 Shots
    img00125201101191732.jpg
    46.5 Varget worked in my TRG and 45.5 Gr Imr 4064 too

My old load was;

155grn Lapua
    47.4grn Varget
    Fed 210m
    Lapua brass
    0.010" off
    I was right at 2900fps.

Xdeano

A buddy and I had good luck with 44.6 and 44.9 respectively with 8208 and Rem 9 1/2.
    Same Here. I load 44.4 grn 8208 in lapua brass lit by a federal 210M primer. Bullet is set ten thousandths off the lands. Dope to 700 says 3k fps out of a 22 inch bartlein gain twist barrel. I just picked up a magnetospeed so will be confirming velocity asap. Seems high, but the dope don't lie. Same barrel shot 168 FGMM at 2830 FPS too.

Last edited:
    Chrony'd 5 rounds today. Rifle and ammo had been sitting in my pickup at my farm for several hours and it was a pleasant 22 degrees. Averaged 2965 with an SD of 10.2.

Reactions: Don Dial