• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report 155's playing the sideways game

F4D

Private
Minuteman
Sep 16, 2010
Phx, Ariz
A friend sent me this photo of 1000yd target using 155 SMK's at 2840fps. Rem 700SPS 26" heavy barrel.This is the extent of the info I got from him. Temp was 70 degrees, 1500' alt, humidity 24, Baro, steady at 30.00.
With what I had to work with they should have slowed to about 1140 at 1000yds. Sub sonic might be the problem but what the hey do I know. I figured pushing them to 2900 or so might solve the problem.
I'd take the center hits in any form and feel good. Any ideas?
Chris1000yardkeyhole.jpg

Re: 155's playing the sideways game

Which 155 SMK is it? Something's off...

Probably just not moving them fast enough. The general rule for us Palma shooters is a minimum 2925fps, but I stay in the 2975-3000fps range so when I do LD so I am still running above 2925 when its colder.

If you are running a 308, it takes a long bbl and some stout charges to get there.

John

My standard .308 load is 155 Scenars at 2850 out of a 20" barrel. I have no problems to 1k..9.7 mils elevation, verified, and I am still supersonic. I shot with a guy sending 155's at 2750-ish out of an AR10 at the bash, no problems at 1k either.

Have you verified your chrony numbers with actuals past 100?

I will try and get more info from him on the ammo build. My guess he is using Tac and SMK 155 Palma #2155. Brass I don't know nore primers and seating depth is not known.

Found the problem. His dope sheet showed 2705fps MV.

Also note: The 2156 SMKs are the better bullet for the long range game(s).

But 2705 fps isn't going to get the job done.

That bullet needs to be launched at 2975 to avoid the transonic zone at any altitude and atmospheric condition in the world.

At your elevation I suspect replacing the 2155 with the 2156 or a Berger 155.5 Fullbore while maintaining your same velocity will cure your problem.

Let me know if you need me to send you 20 or so to play with, though there are copious amounts of both in your AO if you know the right people to ask at Ben Avery or stop by Bruno's...

I launch them the same velocity out a 23.5" barrel as you. The 2155 takes 7.9 mils of elevation to 1k off a 200 yd zero at 6000' ASL but the other two take only 7.1 mils. One could back their way into the difference in velocity off of those figures if they wanted. All I know is I can run all 3 of them to 1k out here no problem at that launch velocity.

Also i would recommend not loading that with TAC, try some Reloder15 or H4895

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HDC-Deadly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also i would recommend not loading that with TAC, try some Reloder15 or H4895 </div></div>

While I agree that there are "better" powders, TAC will work just fine as we have one of our jrs shooting 155 noslers over TAC out of one of my backup Palma rifles at 1000 and his first time out he ran high 180s for score. Not bad for a 16 yr old kid's first trip to the big line using a old Win model 70 action with a 5,000+ round Krieger bbl. :)

John

I was running 46gr of varget and 155 Scenars @2780,in wind I'm sure they were falling out of the air at 950 or so,didn't even see an impact at 1k.so I played with a little 8208 xbr and ended up with a load of 45gr@ 2913 and loaded up to 46 gr @ 2975 with no pressure signs.since then I have settled for mag length loaded 190 vlds that shot plain stupid groups out of my rifle AI AE mk1 24" uk barrel.

Palma shooters use higher velocities, longer barrels, and slower twists to optimize the Palma bullet's performance. Don't forget the twist issue.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Palma shooters use higher velocities, longer barrels, and slower twists to optimize the Palma bullet's performance. Don't forget the twist issue.</div></div>

So it would be safe to say a 1-12 should do ok for 155 Palma Match bullets.