• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

16” 223 loads bolt gun

Cnewhouse48

Private
Minuteman
Nov 5, 2013
St.hedwig tx
Having a 24” barrel cut to 16” and threaded for a can what kind of real world velocities are y’all seeing with 75gr Bullets?

I've ran up to 2800fps out of my 18" AR w/ 77's ... thats NATO max which should be in line with bolt gun max I'd think.

My precision load is around 2725fps with Hornady 75's.

I would imagine your 16" bolt gun could easily achieve what I'm getting out of my AR.

I've ran up to 2800fps out of my 18" AR w/ 77's ... thats NATO max which should be in line with bolt gun max I'd think.

My precision load is around 2725fps with Hornady 75's.

I would imagine your 16" bolt gun could easily achieve what I'm getting out of my AR.
Thanks for the reply. What powder are you using to get those velocity numbers?

Thanks for the reply. What powder are you using to get those velocity numbers?

The highest velocities were with TAC, but it was not temp stable in my gun like I'd hoped for. Some guys have not reported issues, but my rifle had an unacceptable ES across temps for my liking.

I've heard that Power Pro Varmint can get similar, if not slightly higher velocities, but have not tested myself.

My precision load is 23.5gr XBR 8208. In my opinion, 8208 is one of, if not the, best powder for .223 and especially AR's...

If you're using this to hunt with, I'd look at using the Sierra 77 TMK with a hot load of 8208 behind it... Should be able to seat the TMK a little longer than you can with an AR and get some more velocity out of it. Guys have reported the TMK to be a good expanding bullet to much lower velocities than the non tipped version.

Thanks I’ll give xbr a shot already use it in the grendel.
This will be mainly target practice for 3-800 yards with the occasional 1k yard shots for fun. if I hunt with it most shots will be either head or neck shots on deer or hogs.

Thanks I’ll give xbr a shot already use it in the grendel.
This will be mainly target practice for 3-800 yards with the occasional 1k yard shots for fun. if I hunt with it most shots will be either head or neck shots on deer or hogs.

Keep the post updated when you do. I’d like to see what you can squeeze out of 16” bolt gun

Gidday, my 16” bolt gun would see 2740fps with 73g Berger’s using 23.5gr 2206H (H4895 I think), or 2705FPS using 24gr 2208 (Varget). A tad slower with the 77SMK with similar loads. Cheers

That sounds promising was that with heavy charges or somewhere respectable?
Not sure if this question directed for me. Max Hodgdon H4895 is 24.0gr and Varget is 25.0gr. Hodgdon are all made here in Australia just under different names here....but same charges. 2206H & 2208.

75 eld out of my 16"
8DA65EDF-6841-4E4B-9DC2-C3422FD607AF.jpeg

Here she is boys: Code name LITLLE BRITCHES.

love the feel of the gun.

what really sucks is my pet load no longer shoots worth a crap through it and I’ve got several hundred loaded already.

Attachments

• 5830F1FB-765F-4024-9765-966AFBFFF695.jpeg
    5830F1FB-765F-4024-9765-966AFBFFF695.jpeg
    112.3 KB · Views: 63
  • B4915358-511B-4770-95FE-DF339563A1E5.jpeg
    B4915358-511B-4770-95FE-DF339563A1E5.jpeg
    131.1 KB · Views: 57
  • 11A8A98D-688C-4B43-B67F-8DD66D5CCA3C.jpeg
    11A8A98D-688C-4B43-B67F-8DD66D5CCA3C.jpeg
    140.9 KB · Views: 59
I have a factory Tikka Varmint that shoots the 75gr ELDM over 3000 fps with H4895. Really wanting to cut it down, set it back, and re-chamber for a handier suppressed calling rifle. Can't decide if I want to go 223AI or not to see if I can recoup some velocity.

I have a factory Tikka Varmint that shoots the 75gr ELDM over 3000 fps with H4895. Really wanting to cut it down, set it back, and re-chamber for a handier suppressed calling rifle. Can't decide if I want to go 223AI or not to see if I can recoup some velocity.

I'm in the exact same boat, albeit with a t3x lite.
223 is my deer gun, and I'd prefer to keep the impact velocity of 77 TMKs above 2000 FPS for as much range as possible.
16" is just so much handier than a 20-22" barrel in a deer blind with a 7" suppressor.

If I could get 2850 out of a 16" AI with TMK/ELD-Ms, that would be a pretty handy little rifle.
Actually, between that gun and my rimfires, all my bolt gun bases would be covered other than a fly out elk/beer/moose heavy-hitter, but those never really get shot anyway.

Have you heard of anyone setting back a tikka barrel for an ackley?
I've assumed PVA/PBB prefit is the easier path. Much easier to get your money back when it comes time to sell it as well.

I'm in the exact same boat, albeit with a t3x lite.
223 is my deer gun, and I'd prefer to keep the impact velocity of 77 TMKs above 2000 FPS for as much range as possible.
16" is just so much handier than a 20-22" barrel in a deer blind with a 7" suppressor.

If I could get 2850 out of a 16" AI with TMK/ELD-Ms, that would be a pretty handy little rifle.
Actually, between that gun and my rimfires, all my bolt gun bases would be covered other than a fly out elk/beer/moose heavy-hitter, but those never really get shot anyway.

Have you heard of anyone setting back a tikka barrel for an ackley?
I've assumed PVA/PBB prefit is the easier path. Much easier to get your money back when it comes time to sell it as well.

I have a local smith that is very reasonable. He doesn't have an 223 AI reamer though. Would have to rent one or buy one. I have considered a PBB, but my factory barrel is fast for a Tikka barrel.

I have a local smith that is very reasonable. He doesn't have an 223 AI reamer though. Would have to rent one or buy one. I have considered a PBB, but my factory barrel is fast for a Tikka barrel.
So are you gonna chop it to 16" first and see whacha get?

Still haven’t got around to this yet been busy. Hopefully over the thanksgiving break I’ll get some stuff going... finding projectiles is impossible right now.

Still haven’t got around to this yet been busy. Hopefully over the thanksgiving break I’ll get some stuff going... finding projectiles is impossible right now.

I was planning to do some load testing over Thanksgiving break as well, but there are NO projectiles to be found. I have a couple boxes of 55gr Hornadys lying around so I'll probably just load those and do some plinking with the kids...

Well I started load development but can’t get the oryx chassis to feed for some reason so unfortunately I didn’t get around to actually shooting. MDT is working with me on a solution.

Well I started load development but can’t get the oryx chassis to feed for some reason so unfortunately I didn’t get around to actually shooting. MDT is working with me on a solution.

Have had similar issues with ACC and an Ultimatum action. Fixed by adding a screw lower than magazine catch so mag sits higher. Screw head ground off with a straight cut and glued in. If mag sitting too high grind a little off magazine catch. Goodluck. Annoying!