• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

16” Truck gun

Mchase85

Private
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2019
Looking for some advice, I want to build or buy a “truck gun”. I want a bolt action rifle to carry around the ranch, toss in the truck when I head out to the ranch. Will primarily be used to shoot coyotes, pigs, exc. primary range will be inside of 300 yards. I want a short barrel around 16”. I know I am going about this a little backwards but I am looking for suggestions on what round to chamber it in and if anyone has any rifle suggestions.

For everything you want to shoot I’d go .308. 308 is readily available in game loads and it won’t be $3 a round every time you pop a shot at a coyote. Lots of resources for 308 shorty bolt actions out there everything from ground up build to a 700sps chopped and rattle canned.

Remington makes a few 700s with 16in barrels ready to go in the aac-sd line had one in .223 just slapped a reddot on it was a handy little rifle

6.5 creed or 308... cheap ammo everywhere and plenty of energy for most anything you would need to shoot

Im in CA and just don’t want to deal with an AR. I have a AR10 with a 16” barrel, a lot of muzzle blast. I am not worried about round availability or cost, I reload and will for this rifle as well. I am looking for a round more suited for the short barrel. So here is what I have looked at so far. 300 Blackout, not a huge fan of the round and is really better suited for barrels shorter then 16. Looked at the new 350 legend but it’s a little too new no lead free bullets. Speaking of new, the 8.6 creedmoor looks promising but not really out yet. On that line the 338 fed may be an option with faster burning powder.

Reactions: XLR308
I have two rifles in 300Bo and I don’t think you will be happy if you realistically expect to be making many shots to 300yards. The round is more than capable(don’t flame me here) but your drops at distance will be way less forgiving than something faster.

Depending on the ranch layout, a .45-70 in a lever is an ideal truck, horse and tractor gun. If it’s a large open area, then perhaps something much flatter shooting. If you are dead set on a bolt action, the ruger American ranch is cheap and easy and light. The rem 700 tactical comes in a 16 inch barrel, but usually is heavier.

I have a 700 in 308 that's 16" handy little gun to have

We farm for a livin. In my work truck is always a bolt 223. Coyotes, stray dogs, those big black birds that bother cows when calvn. Buy cheap bulk 55gr soft pts. 1moa plenty good for what ur wantn to do. I had Ruger 77 for yrs, now carry Tikka I have $325 in.

I’ve never killed a pig, but I’m skeptical about the effectiveness of a 223 on a pig

• Haha
Reactions: TheChief
Ok so I think for my purpose I like the rem 700 SPS or the rem 783 synthetic heavy barrel. I really like the price and the weight of the 783 also I can get ether the 6.5 or the 308 in this model. For what I am doing the 6.5 may be a decent choice though the 308 should be more efficient. the big complaint on this rifle seems to be the stock and there are not many options out for these. In fact I really could only find Boyd wood stocks or MDT chassis. Neither fit the bill for what I want, if anyone has found a better option please let me know. On the 700 SPS, stock seems to be the week link as well but it should be fine for what I am doing and if I want to make a change it’s a 700. Also if I decide I don’t like something about it again it’s a 700. Downfall is for the price I could have the 783 complete.

I mean for a truck gun try what it comes with can always switch it out later id go 700 over 783 just for the parts and i think there is a $50 rebate in the 700 currently

Hare to say it but a magpul stock may be good for that, there not expensive.

If you really wanted an inexpensive chassis you can find the dreaded mcrees cheap

I’ve never killed a pig, but I’m skeptical about the effectiveness of a 223 on a pig

The 223 rem is plenty effective on pigs with bullet choice and construction wisely chosen and as with anything shot placement.
The sweet spot at the back edge and bottom of the ear canal will drop them every time if you can wait for the shot.
The last nice sow I killed I used a 22wm with rem 32 grain ballistic tip right below the ear at 80 yards, she was dead before she hit the ground.
To the OP
The 308win or a 338 federal since you reload would be an excellent do all chambering for the criteria you listed.
If you intend to stretch it out a bit more a shorty 6.5 Creedmoor would do everything you need and more.

Take a look at the Ruger American Ranch rifle. I have one in 223. It takes AR mags, has a 7 twist, and is very handy. Also available in other calibers.

Reactions: rimfire22lr
Ya I looked at those, I want to larger then 223 I know they can take down a pig just fine this rifle I am looking for something larger caliber, at least 6.5 and definitely smaller them a 450 BM. Did just get back on the Ruger site and looks like they just released a 6.5 Grendel. May have to look up the ballistics on that round.

Ya I would of already gotten it if I could get lead free ammo for it. Even reloading the bullets just are not there yet. I’m crossing my fingers that Ruger picks up the 8.6 creedmoor in the ranch rifle. That would be a really cool match up. Doesn’t help me in the short term though.

Second the 350 legend. I have a 16 inch bolt gun and it is a pretty good shooter. Ammo is available and fairly cheap as well.

Looks like there are some new hunter models in the American that may work too in 308. I like the 350 legend a lot just weighting on lead free options for ca.

Ur wantn to shoot 300 yds and wanting a 350 legend?? Dont understand that. If you feel undergunnd with a 223, look at 243

According to my rifle and billet info this is the drop for 350 on the 350. That was. 145 grain bullet doing a tad over 2100fp. 3.5 mils @ 350yds if you don’t like moa
5D26EF63-5DB3-4E85-8095-7D736AB2CC6A.png

A 22-250 bolt rifle would be perfect. A .223 bolt gun would work as well but the 22-250 has a little more ass to it an is very tame to shoot. I have shot stock remington 700s in this caliber and they all have shot well with factory ammo.

AR15’s suck fora truck/four wheeler gun. Not handy at all @aslrookie

• Haha
Reactions: TheChief
I’m in the process of building similar. 16” barrel suppressed AR-15 with a 2-10x Vortex PST. Aren’t many critters I’d shoot at that a fast and accurate GMX bullet wouldn’t drop. 2-10x seems like a great optical range for anything 0-500+ yards.

The Remington 700 AAC-SD's with the 16.5" barrels are awesome. I have had 2 in .308 (sold one) and they have been some of my all-time favorite rifles. I think it would serve your purpose of a farm truck gun perfectly.

You didn't really state a budget cap but yes, the factory stocks need to be replaced for tuck-ruggedness and more so, accuracy.
There are many HS Precision stock on eBay for short money +/- $300 or if you can spend a little more a basic non-adjustable A5 form the McMillan retail store which is the best bet.

truckgun.jpg

Another suggestion is to get an R700P (Remington Police model) that will already be in an HS stock and consider cutting the barrel down to 18".

copgun.jpg

I’d go w/ the Remington 700 in 6.5 CM for the given purpose. If you go .308 you'll have more bullets from which to choose, such as the Nosler E-tips.

Save a buck or two on the stock & pick up a KRG Bravo or Greyboe Renegade. Optics? I’d go Vortex or SWFA for this application.

Reactions: Lionsbreath
I grew up on a farm. We carried around a .30-30 lever action. If I didn’t do that, I’d get that Ruger American Ranch in .223.

Last edited:
I'd be looking at the Grendel. Good performance with a 16" barrel, ammo seems fairly available, 120TSX is effective and lead-free and with a 200yd zero you should only drop about 3MOA at 300. When I read truck gun i think low cost, so a Ruger American Ranch would be my pick. AR mags, 16" pipe, and then either a cheek rest and LPVO or a red dot and you'e good to go with a low-cost low-recoil compact rifle.

If you decide you need more gas the Hill brothers seem to like the Ruger Scout riflesin .308 with an LPVO.

Ruger Scout synthetic with a low power variable, mounted "traditionally" 1-4/1-6x-simple and effective, save money

Reactions: Crang
All the years hunting and fiddling with this and that gun, the Ruger is a solid choice. If you aren't encountering large predators, I would just run a basic AR also.

Got a tikka t3 308 that is awesome. Wish it were a 223 though. Passed up on a varmint 223 with 1:8 twist years ago and still want to go buy one and cut it to 16”

243 would be my choice if you have pigs. Flatter and faster than the 308 but still packs a punch. A lot of companies make compact models in 243 including ruger m77 line. Also 22-250 in a ruger american compact. Both option are 18" barrels