• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

16-18 inch shorty rifles

Got a 16" 6gt on the brain as a truck/sxs/tractor gun. Ordered an eh1 earlier this morning and have been racking my brain on what action to use. I don't feel like this build warrants a $1500 action, so what are some of the more budget friendly offerings that y'all have used? I'm aware of the Origin and CDG actions. Oh, and needs to be 700 footprint.
I've been looking into upgrading mine. The ones that keep coming up seem to be...

ARC Coup De Grâce
ARC Nucleus
Zermatt Origin
MACKBROS EVO II

Also interested to see what's recommended with the shorty crowd.

1688584163449.png

Not a custom but fun little gun, Ruger RPR 308 with a 16" barrel.

Were these offered as a 16", you cut it down or swapped the barrel? What ranges do you normally shoot at?
I had it cut down and is my 500 yrd or less deer rifle. It is great because I can fold the stock and it will fit in my backpack while I'm on my 4 wheeler. Once I get where I'm going I roll the can on and it's great for what I need it for.

I like 18" barrels when going short in 308 Win but if you're adding a suppressor you may like it shorter.
I would get an 8 twist, for heavies and subsonic loads ...but still accurate with 130 gr.
I shoot 225 ELDM up to 2474 fps out of an 18" AR 10, heavier bullets loose less velocity in a short barrel and retain energy better. Light bullets will often loose 300 to 350 fps and heavy bullets only 101 fps depending on a specific example. I have barrels 18 to 30 inches 12 to 8 twist in 308 Win

I had it cut down and is my 500 yrd or less deer rifle. It is great because I can fold the stock and it will fit in my backpack while I'm on my 4 wheeler. Once I get where I'm going I roll the can on and it's great for what I need it for.
I wonder why factory rifles comes in 16.5" and not 16". Thanks for responding. Considering adding a Remage barrel and was thinking about a 6.5CM since it has a lot of advantages, but it seems 308 is just fine. Don't think I'll go much further than 500 yards. So I'll

350 fps and heavy bullets only 101 fps depending on a specific example. I have barrels 18 to 30 inches 12 to 8 twist in 308 Win
What does the 12 represent? 12"?

I'm fine with the perf of a 16" .308, I just think the 18"er looks better in a chassis. Personal peferences, etc...
Definitely looks better on some chassis. Longer chassis with 16" look odd.

Reactions: Too Funny
The 12-8 is 12-8", but referring to the barrel twist rate. 1 in 12" to 1 in 8". 1:12 is 147g m80 ball era. 1:10 is 175g m118lr era. 1:8 I don't know about :)

I've been looking into upgrading mine. The ones that keep coming up seem to be...

ARC Coup De Grâce
ARC Nucleus
Zermatt Origin
MACKBROS EVO II

Also interested to see what's recommended with the shorty crowd.
I'd take all the top 3, was very unimpressed with the two evos I had last summer. Sold them quickly. I just picked up my pair of barreled CDG last night. Put them in chassis this morning. Compared to my archimedes, I like my archimedes better, it's smoother and has lighter lift, however it's got 2k plus rounds thorough it, the CDG is spanking new. But man do those aw mags feed nice!

Got a 16" 6gt on the brain as a truck/sxs/tractor gun. Ordered an eh1 earlier this morning and have been racking my brain on what action to use. I don't feel like this build warrants a $1500 action, so what are some of the more budget friendly offerings that y'all have used? I'm aware of the Origin and CDG actions. Oh, and needs to be 700 footprint.
Kelbly Atlas Lite is under $1100.

Aero Precision SOLUS is on sale for $809 right now. Uses Zermatt Origin prefits.

Aero Precision SOLUS is on sale for $809 right now. Uses Zermatt Origin prefits.
The price is appealing, but it's still really new with too many mixed reviews. Hard to see which way it goes.

New video is up comparing my Otter Creek Labs Hydrogen-S 7.62 and my Hydrogen-S 6.5mm suppressors on my 16" @christensenarms MPR 6mm ARC. Both cans are identical other than bore diameter.

The 6.5mm can is noticeably quieter in person, and you can tell it slightly in the video if you turn it up. Both cans sound amazing on the little 6mm ARC cartridge.

Ended up going with an impact nbk action. Not quite the budget action I was looking for lol. Got Altus putting it all together for me. Should be a handy little critter and possibly deer rifle for the fiancé.

Reactions: K80/6.5
New video is up comparing my Otter Creek Labs Hydrogen-S 7.62 and my Hydrogen-S 6.5mm suppressors on my 16" @christensenarms MPR 6mm ARC. Both cans are identical other than bore diameter.

The 6.5mm can is noticeably quieter in person, and you can tell it slightly in the video if you turn it up. Both cans sound amazing on the little 6mm ARC cartridge.

Did you compare the polonium on the 6arc compared to the hydrogen?

Did you compare the polonium on the 6arc compared to the hydrogen?
Not yet... Once my 6 ARC comes back from Christensen Arms, I will make that video. Been meaning to, but got too distracted trying to get that fucker to shoot straight. Eventually gave up, and sent it back. Should have it back sooner or later. They're updating me as they go along, so hopefully they'll have an update for me this upcoming week. But I'm not going to rush them, I just want it to shoot like it's supposed to...Like all my other CA carbon fiber rifles do.

22GT barrel is shot out so figured I'd throw on my 300 blackout barrel until PVA gets another barrel to me.
Preferred 17" 300BO 1:5tw
Origin action
XLR envy pro
I went 17" just to clear the forend on my AI chassis but keeping that chassis for something else so its sitting on the XLR for now.
Also, just realized this thread was created when I was a junior in high school..no relevance but just kinda funny..
20230710_194233.jpg

22GT barrel is shot out so figured I'd throw on my 300 blackout barrel until PVA gets another barrel to me.
Origin action
XLR envy pro
I went 17" just to clear the forend on my AI chassis but keeping that chassis for something else so its sitting on the XLR for now.
Also, just realized this thread was created when I was a junior in high school..no relevance but just kinda funny..
View attachment 8180188
nice rifle, ya young punk!

I was older than you are now when this thread was created....
Now get off my lawn!!!

I have a 300 BO barrel planned. Just gotta see if this "trim" blank I have (1/8) will have enough meat to thread at 16.5 before we start making chips. Not a hard thing to do, and just busier than a 1 legged man for a while longer

You ever use yours for close deer work?

@powdahound76
I'll mow your lawn for 220 smk's :)
This is a just for fun gun to tinker with. I live in Ohio so, no go for a deer rifle..

Almost straight wall….

I mow my own. Keeps me from bitching about a poor job done, only because I know the old fart who did it!!

Im not sure it has enough ft lbs here in CO, and I bet it will work on WT in other states….. 😎

Almost straight wall….

I mow my own. Keeps me from bitching about a poor job done, only because I know the old fart who did it!!

Im not sure it has enough ft lbs here in CO, and I bet it will work on WT in other states….. 😎
Isn't that the reason they came out with the 350 legend? Straight wall for deer/primitive in some states?

Origin action
XLR envy pro
View attachment 8180188
1-5? How's the accuracy?

This barreled action was in a JP Apac recently but my ACC was screaming for a barrel the same length as its forend. After a bit of work, here it is !

Defiance Elite
18 " IBI straight 1.25", 6BR 7.5tw
ACC with cabine stock (bit of weight added in the tube)
Triggertech Diamond
March 4.5-28X52

It's my fifth crowning job with the Manson tool. It's a bit of work but give good results, if you're into diy !

Attachments

• PXL_20230715_182933754.jpg
    PXL_20230715_182933754.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 247
  • PXL_20230715_182722386.jpg
    PXL_20230715_182722386.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 234
  • PXL_20230715_171635404.jpg
    PXL_20230715_171635404.jpg
    332.8 KB · Views: 179
  • PXL_20230714_211506840.jpg
    PXL_20230714_211506840.jpg
    297 KB · Views: 241
Not sure if I posted this one in here or not but getting it pulled back out of the safe after a hiatus. 16” 223ai tikka, really fun gun and will be great for clearing out pdogs from the truck.

Heading out later today to test 53 vmaxs. Was running 55 nosler BT at around 3100

Attachments

• IMG_5087.jpeg
    IMG_5087.jpeg
    682.6 KB · Views: 201
Would chopping a 30-06 to 17-18 be a waist in a hunting bolt action for use out to 400.
Better to just get a 308?
If 400 is your limit I’d say go for it. You’ll likely still be sitting 100-200fps faster than a 308 at a given barrel length. Anymore, I’ve been doing all my hunting barrels at 18-20. The shorter length makes a noticeable difference for me in maneuverability alone, not to mention the weight savings.

At a minimum, you’ll piss off the fudds for making a shorty -06, so I’d call it a win.
I would really piss them off when I tell them this is a mint fieldcraft.
I obviously don’t want to tank the value but if done right I don’t care if its worth less.It’s a light rifle anyway and I don’t see it being a long distance preformed anyway,it a light hunting gun.
I also have a fieldcraft 6.5, same gun,same barrel etc.Thought about cutting both and running the ultra 7 or Dominus.
Have two matching NXS 2.5-10x42 moar scopes for both.
I don’t shoot as much as a lot of you and would like to learn to dial and be a more confident shot and hunter within reasonable range.

Would chopping a 30-06 to 17-18 be a waist in a hunting bolt action for use out to 400.
Better to just get a 308?
Punch the chamber out to .300 Sherman, and cut it to 20" and you should have a nice shooter. 👍🏼

But, if you're going down to 16", build a 1:8 twist 7mm-08 AI, or a .308 Win.

Reactions: Too Funny