• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

16-18 inch shorty rifles

I'm using this thread as inspiration to do the least sensible thing I can think of. I think my Tikka T3x project rifle just became a bastardized scout project. The magnum caliber of my choice, 18 inch barrel w/ a Dead Air KeyMo something or other on the end of it...drive on. McM Game Warden is already on order, got the Red Snake bottom metal already. Just need a barrel...

865326E2-4E27-4D64-9494-848EEB163063.jpeg

top is a 18” 6.5 creed
Hand load 120gr SMK at 2750

Bottom is a 16” tikka 243
hand load Hornady 87gr bthp at 3150fps
Shoots factory monarch 100gr soft points at 2500fps moa accuracy and are only $11 for a box of 20
Shoots factory Winchester 58gr v Max at 3500fps

Also run a 16” 30-06 Rem 700, not pictured because it’s getting threaded.
Runs 215 bergers at 2580fps with rl17

My tikka 338 win mag is also about to get chopped to 16” as well so I don’t have to track 300 lb boars at night anymore.

Every since I got suppressors everything has been getting the chop.

Last edited:
Shot the 18" tikka 6.5 today and she was right at the speeds I had guessed.

My 140 berger load was shooting 2700 in her at 24" and now is at 2552 avg over 10 shots. SD of 7.4. Shot 2, 5 shot groups on paper and center/center measure 0.22"

I think she's gonna put the smack down on a deer.

My load is seated out long, for hunting, Im going to seat the 143eldx's a little deeper and hopefully get 2600

Decision made on the barrel. Placed an order for a 16.5 Carbon fiber proof barrel. Now just settling in for the wait. Waiting on just about everything. Figure by late fall I will have this build done.

Reactions: HenryTheAce
I have a 16.5 Carbon Proof for my AI AT and it’s been fantastic. Thinking about ordering one for my Surgeon 591 SA....unless someone here has one that wants to sell.

I am curious to see the velocities I will get with it. This is going to chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor as I already have a Tikka CTR chambered the same. Easier in current market to reload what I already have than find new. The CTR with 24 inch factory barrel is very accurate but slow. I know that the short barrel will be slower already but the numbers others have shared look like I might actually be in the same ballpark as my CTR. If so I might order up a replacement barrel for the CTR so I can get the most out of that rifle.

Last edited:
Where were you guys when I was trying to sell a proof blank a couple weeks ago? haha. I decided to just use it and sent all my parts to GAP, but I have a thought on the short barrels that I would like to try someday.

What do you guys think of a faster twist because of the shorter barrel? I want to try a 16.5" 6.5CM with a 1:7 left hand twist. I'm a right-handed shooter.

Also I would love to try some 120gr match bullets that have David Tubb's nose ring cut.

The overall idea being to make a shorty punch above its weight class so to speak.

What are your thoughts?

Couldn’t resist when I saw this for sale, added another M2013 shorty to the stable.

M2013
16” Krieger 1:10 .308
APA LB
AIAX
5-20 Ultrashort
Jewel HVR - which I’ll swap for a TT special to match my other guns.
Also came with the RRS arca plate.

View attachment 7566414
That was a good buy mate, I eyed that off more than a few times

Reactions: Hennig
Are there any builders that “specialize” in these shorty builds? I want to have a 16.5” proof carbon barreled 6.5 Creed thrown together on a Defiance Anti action, but these barrels are impossible to find right now. The shops that I’ve talked to say the 16.5 in 6.5 is very uncommon, so they’ve never ordered or stocked them. Figured if there was a builder known for assembling shorty lightweight builds, they may have a barrel ready to finish.

Are there any builders that “specialize” in these shorty builds? I want to have a 16.5” proof carbon barreled 6.5 Creed thrown together on a Defiance Anti action, but these barrels are impossible to find right now. The shops that I’ve talked to say the 16.5 in 6.5 is very uncommon, so they’ve never ordered or stocked them. Figured if there was a builder known for assembling shorty lightweight builds, they may have a barrel ready to finish.
@Deep South Tactical or @LongRifles Inc. Those are my go to, David is local to me and Chad built my first custom. Will do anything you want.

16.5 6.5 creed isn't uncommon here at all. And you can get pretty good numbers from it truthfully.

Couldn’t resist when I saw this for sale, added another M2013 shorty to the stable.

M2013
16” Krieger 1:10 .308
APA LB
AIAX
5-20 Ultrashort
Jewel HVR - which I’ll swap for a TT special to match my other guns.
Also came with the RRS arca plate.

View attachment 7566414
I love my M2013 as well.
Wish I could find a AX chassis but here's my M2013 in a AT
UWQql9G.jpg

Starting to set up a 6CM rifle for my daughter. She's been shooting a 16" .308 but its kinda rough, shoots well though. Seems that 26" is a common default for 6CM but I would like shorter in conjunction with a can. I suspect that this caliber is more length sensitive than 308, but how short can I go before it really starts to lose the advantage? 16"/18"/20"?

Starting to set up a 6CM rifle for my daughter. She's been shooting a 16" .308 but its kinda rough, shoots well though. Seems that 26" is a common default for 6CM but I would like shorter in conjunction with a can. I suspect that this caliber is more length sensitive than 308, but how short can I go before it really starts to lose the advantage? 16"/18"/20"?
What distance you shooting to? Really not much. Energy is a factor with 308 if you're hunting and why i'm going back. I have a 40 acre field which basically maxes out to 550-600yds and on a given day down here, the wind call would be a tenth difference but the short 308 (XM3) would have almost 200ft-lbs more energy at 600yds than my 18" 6.5x47 i had. Having said that you can push and really not give up anything.

I've never hit Joe's numbers idk whether it's the DA down here or what but it's achievable. If you think she'll be better off at 16" and more balanced go for it. If you can't hit the speeds you want drop down to 123s at 2800-2900 they still work really well all things considering.

What distance you shooting to? Really not much. Energy is a factor with 308 if you're hunting and why i'm going back. I have a 40 acre field which basically maxes out to 550-600yds and on a given day down here, the wind call would be a tenth difference but the short 308 (XM3) would have almost 200ft-lbs more energy at 600yds than my 18" 6.5x47 i had. Having said that you can push and really not give up anything.

I've never hit Joe's numbers idk whether it's the DA down here or what but it's achievable. If you think she'll be better off at 16" and more balanced go for it. If you can't hit the speeds you want drop down to 123s at 2800-2900 they still work really well all things considering.

First off, I'm working with 6CM, not 6.5CM.

Then, not hunting specific, maybe coyotes someday, but now is target, training, maybe get into a match or two to learn. Most obvious distance is maybe 1000yd, only one range here that goes there.

Not reloading for this cal since that has pretty much gone away these days. This is a new cal for me so I dont have a stash of components for it. factory ammo, 100+gr.

First off, I'm working with 6CM, not 6.5CM.

Then, not hunting specific, maybe coyotes someday, but now is target, training, maybe get into a match or two to learn. Most obvious distance is maybe 1000yd, only one range here that goes there.

Not reloading for this cal since that has pretty much gone away these days. This is a new cal for me so I dont have a stash of components for it. factory ammo, 100+gr.
That makes things more complicated. But if it’s any consolation we run 105s at 2700 out of 17” youth 243. I’d cut it at 20 to keep some velocity

i get 2700 to 2800fps with 105gr sierras in my 16" 6xc, works perfectly for deer or target shooting

I already have a 16.5" .308 shorty and now I am struggling to decide between a 20" or 18" 6.5 Creedmoor barrel for my AT. Once the can is out of jail it'll have an Ultra 7 hanging off the end as well. I only shoot factory loads if that helps. What says the hide?

18" gap/Bart barrel, McMillan A3 Forest camo
Four in a nice little group and a flyer to remind you that your human😆 That is a great shooting rifle my friend. I look forward to shooting more of your ammo this summer😁

Attachments

• F004E505-8135-4A8A-AF0C-C71C12A7294E.jpeg
    F004E505-8135-4A8A-AF0C-C71C12A7294E.jpeg
    208.6 KB · Views: 50
  • EF62AEF8-2D41-4B26-8923-30864363A932.jpeg
    EF62AEF8-2D41-4B26-8923-30864363A932.jpeg
    460.7 KB · Views: 59
Four in a nice little group and a flyer to remind you that your human😆 That is a great shooting rifle my friend. I look forward to shooting more of your ammo this summer😁

Every time you shoot my rifles it remind me how much more I need to improve. It also takes away the excuse to blame it on the gun 🤣.

Yeah just a perfect mix of old school flare with thumb hole stock then the paint looks 👌 with that carbon barrel....that suppressor just gets better with age...NV bridge ties it all together

Well done 👍👍

Reactions: jcheng
Not finished.

Still needs some cerakote on the barrel, the newer tuner brake and a Kahles 18i but it’s dropping roo’s like it’s nobodies business in the meantime out to 600m with just Hornady precision hunter ammo

Manners EH1 with mini chassis gap camo
ARC Archimedes action
Proof 16.5 inch 1-8 twist 308WIN
Withoutwarning tmb
ARC rings
Kahles 525i
Henderson arca rail
Triggertech 2 stage special
ARC mag

80A6734B-57DD-4BE1-B03F-B75E82753EE1.jpeg

Getting close on the WTO rebuild.

About 95% done with opening up the recoil lug area. Need to do a little more trimming and get a scope rail and DBM. Then either cerakote the BA OD Green or coat the stock Coyote to match the BA. Undecided for now.

16" barrel
A3-5
SOCOM762RC

RMtcjBe.jpg