• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

16-18 inch shorty rifles

Mind sharing what kind of velocities you've gotten so far? And what's the difference between BRX & BRA?
1635213481938.png

Mind sharing what kind of velocities you've gotten so far? And what's the difference between BRX & BRA?
I don't have ammo loaded yet for it. It is a reamer of my design... nothing really special. .246 neck and 85 fb. It was a .260 fb for the 95skm and it LOVED them. I hope to shoot the 75 eld right at 3k with r15 or varget. Quick loads says I should be able to... I will know in a few weeks

PXL_20211117_035736806_2.jpg

Not quite finished product, but getting close. Haven't torqued the barrel up yet as I need to find a gunsmith to throat it for longer bullets. Scope came in Monday, but its too close to the barrel for caps even with Hawkins highs.

What color Cerakote should I go with on the barrel ends and the action?

View attachment 7742358
Not quite finished product, but getting close. Haven't torqued the barrel up yet as I need to find a gunsmith to throat it for longer bullets. Scope came in Monday, but its too close to the barrel for caps even with Hawkins highs.

Looks good, how do you like that stock?

Great looking rifles in this thread - I'm acquiring parts at the moment for my own shorty 6 Creed. Longest wait will be the Manners CS2 stock w/ Mini-chassis, but so far I've got the following sitting in my safe:

- Terminus Zeus with QC
- Bartlein Carbon #13 19" blank (finish length of 18")
- Triggertech Diamond Flat blade
- NF NX8 2.5-20x
- Gunwerks 8ight suppressor

May end up tossing it into a cheaper stock or chassis while waiting on the Manners. I don't think I'll be able to wait several months to shoot it!

View attachment 7742358

Man love that look! Really close to how I'll have mine setup except for a KRG Bravo. What is the barrel length/contour?

View attachment 7742358

What did your weight come in at?
I'm acquiring parts for a very similar build, 16.5 C6 LW 6.5c, Origin SA, same stock and optic.

Tikka 8 twist 223.

Chopped and fluted by LRI.
Atacr in M10s on a 419 rail.
Turbo K til the ultra 7 is free.
Mathews riser keeps the blinker in line.
Tikka vertical grip.
Mountain tactical billet mags for extra coal.
Sterk shifter.
Needs a bipod.

Shoots 75 ELDMs at 2850.
What does the rest of that Landcruiser look like? What is that a 96-97 FJ-80?

What does the rest of that Landcruiser look like? What is that a 96-97 FJ-80?
95 🙂

Funny you should ask- it's got about 300 on the clock and just started blowing blue smoke pretty heavy- I'm coordinating with my mechanic now.

Gonna rebuild the top end (🤞 bottom is good) then due 2" OME lift, 35s, and bumpers, maybe roof tent.

It's served it's time as a daily and now is getting fixed up for camping / expo duty.

They're amazing rigs- the head gasket is the Achilles due to an afterthought EGR design, but after that's done I expect to get another 200k assuming gas is even legal for the next couple decades.

Reactions: Changed
95 🙂

Funny you should ask- it's got about 300 on the clock and just started blowing blue smoke pretty heavy- I'm coordinating with my mechanic now.

Gonna rebuild the top end (🤞 bottom is good) then due 2" OME lift, 35s, and bumpers, maybe roof tent.

It's served it's time as a daily and now is getting fixed up for camping / expo duty.

They're amazing rigs- the head gasket is the Achilles due to an afterthought EGR design, but after that's done I expect to get another 200k assuming gas is even legal for the next couple decades.
The front oil seals and the HG were major issues for the LC. I had a 97 that I sold years ago. Ran like a champ, but ultimately, I got tired of doing axle seal replacements.

I know. I've got an ultra 7 in jail and just might add an ultra 5.
I have a 5 and a 9. The 9 makes stuff quite where ear pro is not needed. I mostly use it when at the range and don't want to use ear pro. Now the 5 I bought just for hunting when I just don't need my ears blown out. It is still loud. I love it for its shortness. Make movement a breeze. Not to mention. It fits in a pack really well.

As for the rifle, thanks for the kind words. I have built several dozen pr style of rifles, from shorty to big tanks and this is probably my favorite......just need to get thorough making cases and then see how it shoots.

As for the photo, I am lucky my wife is a photographer so I talk her into taking fun photos of my rifles for me.

Just my first rounds down range.

Reloader 15 got me up to 3124(little hot) with 75 ends

Nice node at 3040 so that is where I will do my next set of testing.

Wherever you live, I wanna live there too. I miss being able to set a rifle up in the driveway and the neighbors don’t bat an eye. Lol
Everyone is welcome in Texas, so long as you don’t forget the reasons why you left wherever you left.
What kind of attachment are you using for your cross? I've got a cross and I'm looking into getting a tripod setup.
It’s just a RRS m-lok direct bolt on ARCA rail section. You can get one any number of places.

Ran into a rather unique problem. New chassis. Planned on switching out my 28" for one of my 18" 6.5 barrels. :ROFLMAO: I could get away with 19" but figured I'd round out at 20" for a slight buffer.

Attachments

• tempImageYvKlpM.png
    tempImageYvKlpM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 211
  • tempImagenxRM9E.png
    tempImagenxRM9E.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 207
  • BFDC93DD-8E9A-41D3-B8FE-F180A5D42936.jpeg
    BFDC93DD-8E9A-41D3-B8FE-F180A5D42936.jpeg
    291.4 KB · Views: 213
Reactions: FiremanBrad
Ran into a rather unique problem. New chassis. Planned on switching out my 28" for one of my 18" 6.5 barrels. :ROFLMAO: I could get away with 19" but figured I'd round out at 20" for a slight buffer.
Haha. You should just go all AR hipster and put the 419 faux can flash bang forwarder thing on it under the rail.

• Haha
Reactions: Twitchy
308 guys, what kind of velocities/ballistics are you getting from these barrel lengths? I've got a 24" 11vt barrel I plan to thread and install soon but I'm unsure if I want to chop it yet or leave it long. The rifle will have a silencer 95% of the time.

308 guys, what kind of velocities/ballistics are you getting from these barrel lengths? I've got a 24" 11vt barrel I plan to thread and install soon but I'm unsure if I want to chop it yet or leave it long. The rifle will have a silencer 95% of the time.
I get 2610fps from a 175 SMK and 44.1gr of Varget out of my 18.5" with a mild load. Hodgdon states max charge with this combo to be 45gr. I've shot it all the way to 2760fps with Lapua Palma brass.

Reactions: Krob95
I get 2610fps from a 175 SMK and 44.1gr of Varget out of my 18.5" with a mild load. Hodgdon states max charge with this combo to be 45gr. I've shot it all the way to 2760fps with Lapua Palma brass.
Tight bore? 2760 with 175s out of an 18.5" That has to be pushing pretty hard no? I went with 168gr TMKs for my XM3 build just to keep the velocity up and not sacrifice too much BC. Having said that I got 2630fps with my old 20" 700 5R I used to have.

Tight bore? 2760 with 175s out of an 18.5" That has to be pushing pretty hard no? I went with 168gr TMKs for my XM3 build just to keep the velocity up and not sacrifice too much BC. Having said that I got 2630fps with my old 20" 700 5R I used to have.
It's a Hart XM3 barrel with whatever the XM3 reamer spec is. The 2760fps was with 45.5gr of Varget, so yeah, it's hot and very compressed. I like to see how far I can go pressure wise right before I start blowing primers and that's where I cut my testing. I would never shoot it regularly at that pressure. 2600fps gets me to 1000 easily so I'd rather save my brass than push it.

It's a Hart XM3 barrel with whatever the XM3 reamer spec is. The 2760fps was with 45.7gr of Varget, so yeah, it's hot and very compressed. I like to see how far I can go pressure wise right before I start blowing primers and that's where I cut my testing. I would never shoot it regularly at that pressure.
Well that makes me excited cause that's the exact barrel I have waiting for me at DST. DST is sponsored by Hart so I'm sure we can get the reamer as well. 2610 is solid though with that round. Did you do an XM3 clone? Was that the reason for sticking with the 175s? I thought about it but just wanted a bit of velocity gain and given the high BC of the 168gr TMK I figured 2650 would be relatively easy to hit.

I had a 24” Bartlein 1-10” cut down to 16.5” and still get 2530fps with a 175gr Lapua Scenar factory loaded by creedmoor sports.