• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

16.5” 6.5 Creed with 123 grain SSTs: Powder?

General RE LEE

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Dec 29, 2022
Middle TN
I’m having my Tikka T3x 6.5 CM hacked down to 16.5” to be shot suppressed as a whitetail deer hunting rifle. This is not going to be a long range steel rig, I’ve got other rifles for that.

I grabbed 2 boxes of 123 grain SSTs and have plenty of Varget and H4350.

Anyone get good velocities with Varget or H4350 with lightweight 6.5mm projectiles in 6.5 Creedmoor?

I’m just going to use Hornady brass. I save my Alpha Munitions and Lapua for other stuff.

My howa 1500 is 16" and it shot the hornady 123gr vld really well with varget and hornady brass. Unfortunately I don't have the velocity numbers for ya but the best groups were near the top of the load charts if I remember correctly

Reactions: General RE LEE
My howa 1500 is 16" and it shot the hornady 123gr vld really well with varget and hornady brass. Unfortunately I don't have the velocity numbers for ya but the best groups were near the top of the load charts if I remember correctly

Yep seems Varget is a good bet with the 120-123 weight class. Thank you.

interested in this.

I recently snagged a 16 inch howa setup to go into a cool short chassis for "backpack" gun or coyote gun or fun steel gun out to maybe 500.

I haven't start reloading yet, but am gathering info, will be reloading for 6.5prc and 300 prc as well.

What powders would be suggested to start with that are a bit faster burning for the shorter barrel/lighter bullets? I was leaning into finding something in the 120-130 range to start with for bullet weight.

*edit*

Reading around and doing some research it seems Varget, Norma 203b(if you can find it) or RL-15 would be all options. the later 2 providing a bump in FPS at muzzle at same pressures. if I am wrong or off here, please correct me.

Last edited:
I have used Varget with excellent results in 6.5 CM, using the 123 Amax or ELD-M. As Varget varies lot to lot, a good load will likely be somewhere in the 38.5 to 39.5 gr range. I generally used 39.0 gr. It produced 2875 fps from a 24" gas gun.