• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

16" AI AW

Re: 16" AI AW

Go 308. Makes it really handy and an awesome hunting rig! Relatively speaking...
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I believe all the AI .308's are 1:12 but not 100% on that. </div></div>

Checked on this today... 1 in 12 is right.

If AI America wasn't offering faster twists before, they are now. I just ordered a 20" fluted barrel with a 1 in 10 twist from Stacey.

I know that they are, and who that source is... while it is not a secret, it is not my department to say.

Deadly, you've got me thinking now. I really like the look of your rig, and I will have an extra barrel when my 20" comes in. I have a suppressor that I'm waiting on the government for, chopping my current 26" to 16" when the 20" comes in is a real attractive option!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am looking forward to muzzle velocity data.

A 16" AE would be very compact and handle nicely. But I don't think I can accept the loss of velocity over the 20". </div></div>

Lonewolf, we should have the rifle in hand tomorrow and out sometime within the next few days. We will post the velocity once we confirm it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am looking forward to muzzle velocity data.

A 16" AE would be very compact and handle nicely. But I don't think I can accept the loss of velocity over the 20". </div></div>

Already have solid data from my 16" M700.

168 Amax TAP 2470fps
M118 175gr 2450fps

Hope that helps!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 762frmafr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">weight? </div></div>

can't say right now, but we are guessing in the 15-17 lb range w/ optic, sling, and full mag

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HDC-Deadly</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 762frmafr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">weight? </div></div>

can't say right now, but we are guessing in the 15-17 lb range w/ optic, sling, and full mag </div></div>
gotcha....so about the same as my Badger build.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DesertMonkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is it a Tight Bore? Or just a cut down factory barrel?

Cheers,
DM </div></div>

Its a UK factory barrel cut down to 16"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HuDisCo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Already have solid data from my 16" M700.

168 Amax TAP 2470fps
M118 175gr 2450fps
</div></div>

I am specifically interested in what you are getting through the AI barrel since it should be significantly faster than a factory Remington barrel.

My 20" AE clocks M118LR at 30fps than my 26" Remington.

If I could get 25-2600 from a 16" AI barrel then it might be a viable option for me.

Interesting...

Never had like barrel lengths to compare.

I'll be sure to let you know then.

Should be headed out there today.

This little thing shoots like a laser, its easily the "handiest" gun here. Its running around 2580 fps "ish" with M118LR with the 175 SMK

LW,
Running the numbers through Exbal, its staying super sonic out to 1K and a little past it

Pretty sure after seeing these numbers that my current barrel is getting sent out to get cut down as soon as the new one comes in...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HDC-Deadly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This little thing shoots like a laser, its easily the "handiest" gun here. Its running around 2580 fps "ish" with M118LR with the 175 SMK </div></div>
We spent yesterday shooting at 4" pigeons at 520 yards... and pieces of pigeons!
grin.gif

2cdg6zn.jpg

20t2u4w.jpg

This thing is great. One of my favorites instantly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HuDisCo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HDC-Deadly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This little thing shoots like a laser, its easily the "handiest" gun here. Its running around 2580 fps "ish" with M118LR with the 175 SMK </div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Spent yesterday shooting at 4" pigeons at 520 yards</span>... and pieces of pigeons!
grin.gif

This thing is awesome! </div></div>

and little rocks
crazy.gif

sweet looking rig!!
hope you kept it at 16.25" to keep the ATF off your back..
cut my rem 700 spsv in 223 down to 18.75" so theirs 16" of rifling to travel down. not sure it matters??

I do not believe you'll, send me that bad boy so I can test it myself.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Danley</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was there yesterday shooting also & seen this thing make some great hits out to 500+yds. NICE SETUP is an understatement! </div></div>

AR or the 6BR?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Danley</div><div class="ubbcode-body">6BR </div></div>

sorry about that muzzle blast from that 300
laugh.gif

It wasn`t a big deal ... thats part of it! Still better than the last F-Class match. I shot right next to a 338. Now that was a little disturbing to say the least
grin.gif

So Nathan, I am to assume you are happy by the way it looks and sounds HUH? I told you that she would be a monster!!!! Enjoy buddy and look forward to getting together soon and doing some shooting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MrsDeadly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm a little upset y'all went without me...thought I was part of the team??
smile.gif

</div></div>
busted!!! can't keep it hidden when it comes on the Hide - even from the wife - that sucks
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MrsDeadly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm a little upset y'all went without me...thought I was part of the team??
smile.gif

</div></div>

Busted!
shocked.gif
Sorry about that! I'll make sure he checks in with you before we go next time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stacey @ AINA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So Nathan, I am to assume you are happy by the way it looks and sounds HUH? I told you that she would be a monster!!!! Enjoy buddy and look forward to getting together soon and doing some shooting. </div></div>

Man, It's better than I thought.

Probably going to have to shoot this one in the Bash coming up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HDC-Deadly</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Danley</div><div class="ubbcode-body">6BR </div></div>sorry about that muzzle blast from that 300
laugh.gif
</div></div>
LOL! That thing is brutal!
eek.gif

I am REALLY happy to see this. For my 1st ever .308, I bit the bullet and ordered the DTA SRS Covert (16", 1 in 11" twist). I hope it performs even half as well as listed above in this post (4" pigeons at 520 yds).

Any of the 16" barrel .308 shooters out there ever tried the 155 gr Scenars for the purpose of squeezing out an extra couple hundred fps??? Ditto for Hornady 168 gr A-Max or 178 gr BTHP???

The brake is not necessary but he is running a can so the barrel required threading and why not utilize the brake in place of a thread protector. She looks sweet and enjoy, nothing but fun from here.

I would also be interested in hearing how loud this is with the suppressor mounted compared to a longer barrel.

I had an 18" suppressed bolt gun (aac cyclone) at a comp that required the range officers to hold the shot clock near the rifle to pick up a signature.

The sound unsuppressed will be more say "shocking" to those around you due to the shorter barrel and close proximity of the dual ports. As for the suppressed, it actually will vary from can to can. Some will demonstrate a small to notable difference in sound. My experience with the cans I am running will be somewhat quieter. Nathan will have to post his experience with his model however.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HDC-Deadly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just thought we would show off the newest toy. 16" 308 Barrel on the AW. Enjoy.....

16AW.jpg
</div></div>

WOW! Very nice! What would this run $$$?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DrDeath</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HDC-Deadly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just thought we would show off the newest toy. 16" 308 Barrel on the AW. Enjoy.....

16AW.jpg
</div></div>

WOW! Very nice! What would this run $$$? </div></div>
a 20" AIAW w/ 2.0 folder option, muzzle break is 6600$ last i checked, then you have the fees to get the barrel cut and rethreaded, and the cost of the NV mounting device, my guess would be 7500-8k