• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

16 Oct NC Test & Tune Day near the I-95 NC/SC line

SOC308

SSG
Minuteman
Aug 21, 2008
South Carolina
Double tapping in this forum as well, since there wasn't an upcoming events area.

My shooting partners and I are trying to grow the sport and we are going to host a Test & Tune day. If you want to get some LR practice in or just throw lead down range come out and join us.

This is geared towards everyone! New shooters to seasoned veterans. We would much rather you attend than sit home and watch tv all day. The weather is looking like it will be nice! Come test out that new load!

<span style="font-weight: bold">5 W's</span>
<ul style="list-style-type: disc">[*]Who: Everyone is invited![*]What: Long Range Day, shooting from 50-1050yds[*]When: 16 Oct 2011[*]Where: Maxton, NC[*]Why: Be cause we can...... duh[/list]

<span style="font-weight: bold">Details</span><ul style="list-style-type: disc">[*]<span style="font-weight: bold">Cost</span>: $20 per person (lunch and drinks included)[*]<span style="font-weight: bold">Caliber Restrictions</span>: nothing over .50[*]<span style="font-weight: bold">Ammo Restrictions</span>: No armor piercing or steel core ammo shot on steel (if a magnet sticks you will not be shooting steel) you can bring your own targets as well.[*]Range Open: 0700hr, 16 Oct 2011[*]Range Hot: 0800hr, 16 Oct 2011[*]Cease Fire will be called every half hour or so to replace/repaint targets or as needed[*]Range Cold: 1630hr, 16 Oct 2011[*]Range Closed: 1730hr, 16 Oct 2011[*]Shooting will be from the prone. We are building a few benches, but for now bring your shooting mats![*]Camping Allowed! Come early on Saturday evening/afternoon and camp out if you want.[/list]

<span style="font-weight: bold">FAQ</span><ul style="list-style-type: disc">[*]You will have access to 100-1000yds from the same firing line, no moving around to get different ranges.[*]The firing line can fit at least 15 people across (its grass so we can always squeeze in 1 more!)[*]There will always be cadre personnel on the firing line who are acting as RSO and not firing. We will be in direct communication with our safeties.[*]If you wish to bring your targets you are welcome to bring them to set up. We will have ATV's and tractors for hauling targets downrange. We will have some steel and such to shoot, but the more people that come we may need some more targets.[*]I'm sure there will be some friendly wagers happening... Maybe someone can bring that dinty moore beef stew and we can take turns shooting at it @ 1000yds. [*]We will provide a lunch off the grill and drinks throughout the day. If we can get a solid headcount from here we may try to get some pig cooking, if not then we will have burgers and dogs.[*]If you are a newb or are just interested in coming out to shoot with us please send me a PM or email me and we can talk.[/list]

The only things we ask
  1. Have fun and maybe try to learn something
  2. If you are a new shooter and want to pump some rounds through one please let me know and maybe we can work out something.
  3. Police up after yourselves!
  4. No whining

We look forward to seeing everyone!

Re: 16 Oct NC Test & Tune Day near the I-95 NC/SC line

We need to get out and support this shoot, 1000 yard ranges are far and few in between in this area.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lucksthename</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We need to get out and support this shoot, 1000 yard ranges are far and few in between in this area. </div></div>

Another good opportunity for shooters in the Carolinas!!

This sounds like lots of fun, I'd love to shoot 1,000. 800 is the farthest I've ever shot and that was only 3 shots. The date does not work out for me, are you planning any more of these? I usually have to plan at least a month in advance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bjordan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This sounds like lots of fun, I'd love to shoot 1,000. 800 is the farthest I've ever shot and that was only 3 shots. The date does not work out for me, are you planning any more of these? I usually have to plan at least a month in advance. </div></div>

We will try to have more of these in the future.

I'm going to find a way to make it to this, count me in. Thanks for putting this on!
cool.gif

I'm in. Thanks for holding this event.

J.S.T. Glenn who is currently computer less will be coming with me, so that's two lunches....

Anybody got a rifle I can shoot?
smile.gif

I want to come but Mark at Short Action said my rifle probably won't bf done until late October.

I'll bring all the beer you can drink on Saturday night!
smile.gif

Im there....
SOC, do we need to bring our own targets? Steel?

EDIT, I can provide some steel targets if you can drive some steel T-Posts into the ground...

Sending in a PM to put myself on headcount.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wheres-Waldo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im there....
SOC, do we need to bring our own targets? Steel? </div></div>

If you want to bring targets go ahead. We have a bunch of steel plates. Mostly 12inch stuff but have some torsos, poppers, and others. We have a few target stands for paper as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pusher591</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anybody got a rifle I can shoot?
smile.gif

I want to come but Mark at Short Action said my rifle probably won't bf done until late October.

I'll bring all the beer you can drink on Saturday night!
smile.gif
</div></div>

I will lone you my air rifle. Just kidding. Of course there will be a rifle you can shoot as long as I am there. But don't expect anything fancy, as I only have a savage and a howa. I have to shoot on a budget LOL.

Oh and I drink cheap water downed American bear, Bud Light.

Don't think I will make this event, but just wanted to say thanks for hosting it! The LR shooting community needs all the opportunities it can get to welcome new shooters in a low pressure environment. This sounds like a good chance for folks to get some practice and/or get their zero's sorted out at various distances. Charge on...
cool.gif

Thanks for putting this on! I think I can make it. I'll email once I confirm tomorrow!

Anything we can do to help ? I don't have steel but I'm happy to pick up some spray paint or bring something else.

Anything you guys bring to help out will be greatly appreciated.

Things you could bring that would help out:
-Any Steel targets you want to shoot and/or don't mind others shooting
-White Spray paint
-Rubber Straps to hang steel
-Extra spotting scope to help spot for shooters
-Extra shooting mats

I can bring out 4-5 steel targets. As long as you are shooting something that wont bend/penetrate them you can put rounds on them all day.

IPSC 25%, 4", 6" and 8" squares.

SOC, do we have any yardage markers if we want to verify dope? (Someone please bring out thier surveyors tape!)

Are we good to just bring a tent/sleeping bag if we are coming out Saturday evening?

Yes We'll have markers for the yardage.

I doubt we'll need the steel, we have plenty of smaller stuff, but you're welcome to bring whatever and I'm sure we can find a use for it.

Tent and sleeping bag will be good for camping.

we have room.

Just a reminder this is a practice day. Shoot as much or little as you like.

Just because we open the gate at 7 and go hot at 8 doesn't mean you have to be there then. You can come and go as you please.

We will have a cease fire for lunch, and hopefully some door prizes too (if the stuff comes in on time), that will last about 30 minutes.

The firing line will hold about 10-15 people comfortably at a time. So bring a chair and/or spotting scope to help spot for others or have someone spot for you.

I'm unsure if a separate pistol area will be completed by Sunday. We are working that out right now, but our priority is the long range.

We look forward to seeing everyone, right now we have about 30 people confirmed on showing up. There is plenty of time for everyone to get some good trigger time in.

SOC308,

Just an update on my numbers:

Originally: Bob and Glen (02)
Now: Bob, Glen and Dwight (03)

See you tomorrow,

Bob

See you guys in a few hours. Total shooters will be 3, counting Alex.

good stuff, got some quality range time in today. a public thanks to all involved in putting this on. not naming names, cuz i will miss one... - MC

I would like to thank everyone that came out to support this event. Your support is what will let us keep this running. I'm sure everyone had a great time, I did, and I only fired off about 10rds the entire day.

It was good to meet new people and watch them throw some lead down range. There were rifles from mosin nagants to Barrett 50's playing on the line. We had about 40 people that came throughout the day.

A big thanks goes out to Chris Watkins from www.Gunn-Fighter.com (check out his site!). He donated the hostage target, flopper torso, Armor plate circles, t-shirts, and those targets that made a lot of smoke (and a little boom) when we shot them
smile.gif

Also my help, Liam and Scott (the cook) who took their personal time off to come down and work the range and make it more enjoyable for everyone.

If you had fun we're glad you did, if you didn't have fun please tell us what it would take to make it fun for you. This is/was not just a one time deal, we are looking at doing these about once every 4-6 weeks as the weather permits since we are going to be getting into the cool seasons here soon.

If anyone would like to come down for a work day and help out you can pm me for details.

Thanks
Kyle

When I saw this thread I thought "Rats". This is the worst time of the year (work/time wise) for my shooting enjoyments. If you do this again after the 1st of the year, please post it up. I'd be willing to come and help RO a 1/2 day just for some shootin time.
Semper Fi!

We will be hosting more, looking approx every 4-6 weeks weather permitting.

If anyone who went took some pictures and wouldn't mind emailing them to me or posting them please do!

Again thanks for all who participated and we look forward to seeing everyone again!

Any plan as to when the next Test & Tune day will be? The last one was a blast
smile.gif

We'll have another one soon. We're trying to get all our dates for matches, T&T days, and classes sorted out for 2012 so that everyone (us included) can get their schedules planned.

count me in on the next one... I'm in the middle of sorting out a new 6xc rig