• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing 162 Hornady A-Max

Re: 162 Hornady A-Max

It's not a hunting bullet, it's a match bullet. Match bullets come apart real fast and are deadly on broadside lung shots on deer sized game. That said IMO/IME there is no reason on God's earth to use a match bullet to hunt big game. Any premium hunting bullet will shoot as good as a match bullet within the range envelope for ethical hunting. There are a lot of shooters on this site who have shot sub MOA groups out to 600 yards with Sierra Game Kings, Barnes TSX, TTSX, MRX, Swifts, Nosler Accubonds and so on. If you need to take a shot that needs to break big bones and penetrate a long way, you will be far better served with a real hunting bullet.

AMAXs work great on deer and ground hogs. I use 168s out of a .308. At 380 yards on a diagonal shot, the bullet went completely through the deer. 60 grain VMAXs out of a .223 also work well.

Are you using a 7mm RM? As soon as GAP gets done my rifle, I will be using 162s out of my 7mm. I am also going to try some 139 grain SSTs. I tried SSTs in my .308 and they didn't shoot well.

-dan

I agree. But neither was Berger yet they have proven to do great on big game, I believe SMK are the same story.

I was thinking of these for farther yardages. Under 1k let's say.

with all the great game bullets out there, why use the wrong tool for the job? i shoot a lot of A-max bullets, but not on game.

Like? I may change it to the interbond is I am not satisfied with result through phone books.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1sikpupi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">with all the great game bullets out there, why use the wrong tool for the job? i shoot a lot of A-max bullets, but not on game. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1sikpupi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">with all the great game bullets out there, why use the wrong tool for the job? i shoot a lot of A-max bullets, but not on game. </div></div>

I use them becuase they are really accurate out of my rifle and I can buy them cheaper than most of the other hunting bullets.($21/box). I shoot alot on crop managment permits. I don't see any reason to change. If I put the bullet where it is supposed to go, the deer either drops right there or is dead within 100 yards. To me the fragmentation is a postive attribute. Less richochet, and less concern about the bullet exiting the deer.

JMO.
-dan

here is a little secret you won't read often here. terminal ballistics is a combination of impact velocity and bullet construction. a good bullet at good velocity in the right spot will not fail you. good game bullets are not made by accident. they are designed from the ground up for the task. target bullets are not made with terminal ballistics in mind at all. they may nuke or they may not expand. if you are too cheap to spring for good bullets, you shouldn't be hunting.

i came very close to becoming bear poop because i thought bullet construction diddn't matter.

Not sure if that is directed at me. But I'm not hunting, im killing deer. To be perfectly honest, I don't care if they run a mile and die a horrible death. I haven't had that happen, but it wouldn't bother me.

I would have a different view if I lived out where you live and there weren't so many deer But around here there are tens of thousands of them and they cause alot of problems.

-dan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deersniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not sure if that is directed at me. But I'm not hunting, im killing deer. To be perfectly honest, I don't care if they run a mile and die a horrible death.

-dan </div></div>

that pretty much sums it up.

We've used them from PA to WY on Whitetail, Mulies and Speed Goats.
We were using 7 wizzums.

BANG flop... they are simply devastating.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's not a hunting bullet, it's a match bullet. Match bullets come apart real fast and are deadly on broadside lung shots on deer sized game. That said IMO/IME there is no reason on God's earth to use a match bullet to hunt big game. Any premium hunting bullet will shoot as good as a match bullet within the range envelope for ethical hunting. There are a lot of shooters on this site who have shot sub MOA groups out to 600 yards with Sierra Game Kings, Barnes TSX, TTSX, MRX, Swifts, Nosler Accubonds and so on. If you need to take a shot that needs to break big bones and penetrate a long way, you will be far better served with a real hunting bullet.</div></div>

So have you used an A-max on deer sized game?

( crickets chirping )

I use them on Texas whitetail and have had no problem.I shoot 162,168 and 178 amax. I have had great luck.I dont think I would use them on a thick skinned animal IMHO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1sikpupi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
here is a little secret you won't read often here. terminal ballistics is a combination of impact velocity and bullet construction. a good bullet at good velocity in the right spot will not fail you. good game bullets are not made by accident. they are designed from the ground up for the task. target bullets are not made with terminal ballistics in mind at all. they may nuke or they may not expand. if you are too cheap to spring for good bullets, you shouldn't be hunting.

i came very close to becoming bear poop because i thought bullet construction diddn't matter. </div></div>

So do you deny the success of Berger bullet on big game?

Is a Interbond unacceptable as well?

What do you think about there ability on say a Bighorn Sheep and Mountain Goat.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Weda'</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We've used them from PA to WY on Whitetail, Mulies and Speed Goats.
We were using 7 wizzums.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's not a hunting bullet, it's a match bullet. Match bullets come apart real fast and are deadly on broadside lung shots on deer sized game. That said IMO/IME there is no reason on God's earth to use a match bullet to hunt big game. Any premium hunting bullet will shoot as good as a match bullet within the range envelope for ethical hunting. There are a lot of shooters on this site who have shot sub MOA groups out to 600 yards with Sierra Game Kings, Barnes TSX, TTSX, MRX, Swifts, Nosler Accubonds and so on. If you need to take a shot that needs to break big bones and penetrate a long way, you will be far better served with a real hunting bullet.</div></div>

( crickets chirping ) </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bunkerbean</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Is a Interbond unacceptable as well? </div></div>

negative. the giveaway is the word "HUNTING" on the box or bullet maker's website. this generally means hunting bullet. some miss that, though.

my personal choice is the TSX or TTSX

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1sikpupi</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bunkerbean</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Is a Interbond unacceptable as well? </div></div>

negative. the giveaway is the word "HUNTING" on the box or bullet maker's website. this generally means hunting bullet. some miss that, though.

my personal choice is the TSX or TTSX </div></div>

I can read. Doesn't mean they were originally designed for hunting either.

I like TSX bullets.

While I like TSXs as well, those A-Max bullets have been known to take down a deer or two...(hint).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bunkerbean</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What do you think about there ability on say a Bighorn Sheep and Mountain Goat.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Weda'</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We've used them from PA to WY on Whitetail, Mulies and Speed Goats.
We were using 7 wizzums.

( crickets chirping ) </div></div> </div></div>

Whilst I've never taken one. I see no legitimate reason why not.

Save your breath with these guys. There are not hunters, they are target shooters execpt instead of paper or steel they use live animals and don't really give a rat's ass whether their 1000 yard shot results in a clean kill or blows off a jaw or leg.
There is no one who can hit the vital area of a deer or lope' EVERY shot at 1000 yards from real world field conditions. Whatever range you can do that at SHOULD be your ethical hunting maximum range. If you can't get within 400 yards of a big game animal then you just don't know how to hunt. We are burdened with a whole bunch of game wounders who believe that because they have a sooper dooper magnum with an 8-32 power scope they hit as far as they can see. They all drive ATVs or pickups with benchrests in the back and couldn't stalk a one eyed whitetail in a snowstorm.
We see the results in our spring backcountry rides but I guess they figure bears and wolves have to eat too and killing a three legged Elk is easier than a healty one.
If your rifle won't shoot a premium hunting bullet well enough to kill at 400 yards, then: you cant shoot, can't handload decently or have defective equipment.
This is what my 56 year old 721 300 H&H with a 40+ year old B&L 1.5-6X will do. all day every day. You think IT would not kill at 1000 yards? Yes it would BUT could I dope the wind, mirage, be sure the animal would not step off, etc etc EVERY FING TIME? Hell no, so I would never try that shot on an animal THAT I respect enough to make a clean kill very time. All you game snipers should forget all the technology and learn to use cover, camo, wind, study of game habits etc to become a HUNTER. That's my rant for today!
DSCN2020.jpg

Sm,

Nope wouldn't use it on Elk. I'd stick with deer sized game.
However, over the years I have seen/guided clients that ( against my suggestions ) used NBT's successfully on Elk.

mr.h,

Just as I thought, spewing bullshit from no real world data nor experience. Your quote in your sig line fits you perfectly.
Last time I checked the original poster didn't ask about LR hunting.
You're just assuming, looking for a reason to rant about things you know nothing about. Which again, in itself is laughable as it wasn't even part of the original question.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Humble</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Save your breath with these guys. There are not hunters, they are target shooters execpt instead of paper or steel they use live animals and don't really give a rat's ass whether their 1000 yard shot results in a clean kill or blows off a jaw or leg.
There is no one who can hit the vital area of a deer or lope' EVERY shot at 1000 yards from real world field conditions. Whatever range you can do that at SHOULD be your ethical hunting maximum range. If you can't get within 400 yards of a big game animal then you just don't know how to hunt. We are burdened with a whole bunch of game wounders who believe that because they have a sooper dooper magnum with an 8-32 power scope they hit as far as they can see. They all drive ATVs or pickups with benchrests in the back and couldn't stalk a one eyed whitetail in a snowstorm.
We see the results in our spring backcountry rides but I guess they figure bears and wolves have to eat too and killing a three legged Elk is easier than a healty one.
If your rifle won't shoot a premium hunting bullet well enough to kill at 400 yards, then: you cant shoot, can't handload decently or have defective equipment.
This is what my 56 year old 721 300 H&H with a 40+ year old B&L 1.5-6X will do. all day every day. You think IT would not kill at 1000 yards? Yes it would BUT could I dope the wind, mirage, be sure the animal would not step off, etc etc EVERY FING TIME? Hell no, so I would never try that shot on an animal THAT I respect enough to make a clean kill very time. All you game snipers should forget all the technology and learn to use cover, camo, wind, study of game habits etc to become a HUNTER. That's my rant for today!
DSCN2020.jpg

</div></div>

Whats that? You don't have any experience with the AMAX on live game? Maybe you should STFU and go back to fudd central. That group sucks for handloaded ammo BTW. Just because you are unsuccessful at mid to long range hunting/shooting doesn't mean everyone else is.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Humble</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Save your breath with these guys. There are not hunters, they are target shooters execpt instead of paper or steel they use live animals and don't really give a rat's ass whether their 1000 yard shot results in a clean kill or blows off a jaw or leg.
DSCN2020.jpg

</div></div>

What it must be like to study under a true hunter as yourself. I asked for A-max's ability on game.

Since you have only theories, you have squat to add.

This is one bullet of many I am thinking about.

It is much easier on the pocket book putting 500 of these down the barrel than it is Accubonds.

I haven't decided what I am going to shoot with these. May only be Rock chucks...

hehe me too...!

If your rifle likes the amax, you'll be impressed with the results both in accuracy and killability ( if that's a word? )

Hey it is word enough for me.

Your LSR 7WSM liked them right? And Berger's I believe. Maybe it was SMK's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MLC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is from a friend.
162 AMAX launched at 3200:

162AMAXvswhistlepig.jpg

</div></div>

Certainly cleaned house on that one.

I have only killed stuff with the 75 gr. 22 cal A-Max. Coyotes and p-dogs didn't care for 'em. Even the little 16" carbine made quite a mess of dogs out to 300 or so. They are less expensive than others and quite accurate too boot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bunkerbean</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey it is word enough for me.

Your LSR 7WSM liked them right? And Berger's I believe. Maybe it was SMK's. </div></div>

Loved the amax and the smk... not so much on the bergers.

loved the amax more..

Boy will I be supporting the lead ban! Now if we could just ban non-resident hunters......

Actually you don't know WY residency requirements or you would not make such a stupid comment, further you have no idea where I am and when I am there. I'm sure you are NOT a WY resident, given all the folks who would welcome your return............

You'll never replace NOBODY so stop trying you Sad Sack.

I know what the legal requirements are dipshit.. I just think it's pretty cheesy.. you boast about how you are this great fucking hunter who hunts hard and tough in wyo and in fact you're a pussy who up and leaves when the snow fly's.

I know where you are Cora ain't that big.

I've lotsa friends in Cody and I am there often. Soon, matter of fact.

Just like those FS trailheads you drove to at 10,000 asl. pulling your 6 horse slant with you cap on you rig. LOL fucking moron.

Here's the thing there are NO FS trailheads at 10,000 asl and you sorta can't pull a gooseneck slant with a cap on your truck.LOL

Not even trying to replace nobody, no need to be that hard on you. Your doing all the work yourself.

I'd like to hear your theories on why non-resident hunting should be banned. Should rank right up with your AMax and Lion hunting theories.

About par.

I can't see why you just don't shut the fuck up when you haven't a clue about what is being discussed.

I've used the A-max previously and would have no issues with it for deer and antelope sized game. However when the game gets bigger I prefer a stouter bullet and go to a TSX.

3 critters killed with the amax last hunting season.

1 WT doe shot in the chest with .223 75gr at 140 yards. DRT

1 175lb WT buck shot at 180 yards broadside behind shoulder with .308 178gr. Went all the way thru. Ran 30 yards.

1 250lb pig shot at 145 yards with .308 178gr. Didn't exit ran 40 yards.

Everything dead so far. No complaints.

Hope this helps.

Trilogymac

I shoot 155 amax out of my 308 because the gun loves them being pushed by varget... I've shot several yotes and some deer with them and they work great. Shot a 174 whitetail that was standing strong quartering @ 300,,, put it behind his last rib and bullet did its job - lung, liver heart.

Now, I shoot a lot of Bergers in 600 and 1000yd comp (love em for long range stuff,,, paper) and also shot several mule deer with 168 grain bergers out of a 300wm. It would put em where you want but the bergers would burn right through a pump station shot. I'm sure they would have worked fine it i would have did a shoulder (bone) shot but I like the meat.

So my experience leads me to believe the A-maxes work a little better for game than the Bergers,,, but, (as posted above) I would try bullets designed for hunting first (accubonds work very well) and then try other bullets if you can't get them to work.

Perhaps I could talk all you "experts" into a trip to Alaska or Africa. Take your match bullets there and try them on Browns in the alders or Buffs in the thornbush.
At least the gene pool would be improved by removing potential breeders who obviosly can't read a bullet box, listen to any reputable experienced guide or PH and whose library consists of X men comics.
If they are so great one wonders why the bullet companies even bother to make hunting bullets anymore?
"Stupid is as stupid does."

LOL... I'm not sure where this post was about Africa or Alaska. Nor was there any mention of hunting dangerous game.

We can always count on you to be proficiently obscure if not irrelevant.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">obviosly can't read a bullet box</div></div>

This is funny in two ways:

1. Do you believe everything you read?
2. You boast about how you are a publisher, yet your spelling is, well...laughable.

PS...

This is typically indicative of someone who is desperately trying to fit in and be accepted in an arena where he feels he is an educated expert when in fact he's yet to graduate the first grade.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Weda'</div><div class="ubbcode-body">PS...

This is typically indicative of someone who is desperately trying to fit in and be accepted in an arena where he feels he is an educated expert when in fact he's yet to graduate the first grade.

</div></div>

Yes,ricky you must be reflecting on your own inability to take a piss without getting it down the front of you.

Speaking of performance arenas.Has your father in law got back any of the money you wasted on that cowboy bob operation you tanked in cody?