• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing 162 Hornady A-Max

Re: 162 Hornady A-Max

Hey sledder... how are ya... Sorry I missed you last week. No worries I'll be back in 2 more weeks. Funny how you keep avoiding me.

I see you've been kicked off many of the boards. Wonder why that is. Your reputation seems so outstanding and you've been nothing but cordial and honest.

There's new rules here, why don't you fill out your profile.

I see the rumors are still flying on as the valley turns. I guess it was a hard winter after all and the cabin fever women added to the rumors. Amazing.

Nope, still in the poor house. I'm sure glad it wasn't any of my money. I see you have met mr. humble. You guys going golfing? LOL

I'm one step ahead of the law. Glad to see you are too. It's hard though, you know making up identities and hiding from the law while being on public internet forums.

How do you do it. You know, making stuff up about people and never really telling anyone who you are? You seem really good at it.

You another one of those experts that have never posted a pic with you in it and something killed. You went on about the outfitters you worked for..like who?

Again another spectacular post spot on.

Hell ricky me and your old lady hooked up last week.What did you want to watch?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sledder</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Hell ricky me and your old lady hooked up last week.What did you want to watch? </div></div>

Great, another sh*thead slinging mud. Do us a favor and ride your sled into a bridge abutment at full speed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deersniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not sure if that is directed at me. But I'm not hunting, im killing deer. To be perfectly honest, I don't care if they run a mile and die a horrible death. I haven't had that happen, but it wouldn't bother me. </div></div>

Wow, such enlightenment. May St. Francis strike you down in similar fashion.

woundchannel-2.jpg

167lb 6.5yoa cull buck DRT 22.250 80gr Amax 3200fps

zapata8pt.jpg

178lb 6.5yoa buck same bullet passed through deer went 15-20 feet folded up.

The Amax bullet is quite capable of killing ethically.

Mr. H if you don't think so I'd be glad to hit your stupid ass with one. Let's from 10-500 yard and we'll see if you live. IF you do you can shoot me with a bullet you think is better.

Banning non-resident hunters can start with your ignorant miss guided ass off this forum.

KT

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nate Haler</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deersniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not sure if that is directed at me. But I'm not hunting, im killing deer. To be perfectly honest, I don't care if they run a mile and die a horrible death. I haven't had that happen, but it wouldn't bother me. </div></div>

Wow, such enlightenment. May St. Francis strike you down in similar fashion. </div></div>

If they cost you $100K a year, you wouldn't like them much either.

Nothing like pulling into a field and it looks liked it was mowed from the deer eating it. There goes the time/money spent soil sampling, discing, liming, fertilizing, planting, spraying again.

I raise about 2500 acres of corn, soybeans, wheat, barley, and hay.
A 100 acre field yielding 200 bushels per acre of $4 corn is worth $80,000
The same field with 40 bushel soybeans at $8 is worth $32,000.

I learn something new everyday i would have never guessed that you grew corn in maryland. If there are that many deer you need more people hunting on your land that will take the deer and eat them and not go to waste. So they are eating 200 acres of corn and soybeans a year thats alot. Talking to a couple guys who farm twice as much as you figure they might loose 6k tops and it is just part of the game and would never think of shooting deer and just letting them lay because they are eating the food you put out in the wild.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kurt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I learn something new everyday i would have never guessed that you grew corn in maryland. If there are that many deer you need more people hunting on your land that will take the deer and eat them and not go to waste. So they are eating 200 acres of corn and soybeans a year thats alot. Talking to a couple guys who farm twice as much as you figure they might loose 6k tops and it is just part of the game and would never think of shooting deer and just letting them lay because they are eating the food you put out in the wild. </div></div>

So are the supposed to know twice as much? That's a dumb fucking statement. Perhaps the deer population is different? I've seen resident flocks of canada geese eat more than $6k worth of beans.

Why is it that all these advocates of hunting bullets always resort to claims of bear maulings and elephant tramplings? If you're hunting bear with an amax you're a dumb shit. We're talking about deer here. And VLD's work great on deer.
H, as far as stalking game, you should take time to consider that not all of us live in areas that have rolling hills, and allow stalks. Some areas are flat and wide open.

All in all this was another great thread in the life of "VLD's or Amaxes for Hunting" threads. A simple search would have saved all of us the trouble.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kurt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I learn something new everyday i would have never guessed that you grew corn in maryland. If there are that many deer you need more people hunting on your land that will take the deer and eat them and not go to waste. So they are eating 200 acres of corn and soybeans a year thats alot. Talking to a couple guys who farm twice as much as you figure they might loose 6k tops and it is just part of the game and would never think of shooting deer and just letting them lay because they are eating the food you put out in the wild. </div></div>

I never said I shoot deer and let them lay.

Maryland is just a tiny bit different than SD. We have housing devolopments and park/county/state owned ground everywhere. You can't hunt there so the deer get out of control. We don't have giant fields like out west. Lots of 10-20 acre fields. Lots of 5-400 acre sections of woods where deer live/hide and come out and eat at night.

Some fields get completely eaten. Mostly it is just big spots in the middle of the field that are eaten and the 15-20 feet around the outside of the fields.

I have two neighbors that also farm. One farms about 10K acres and the other 8K. They have proportional deer loss. There is a fair amount of farming in MD, you just have to go far to get the ground. The farthest distance for us from one field to another is about 40 miles.

-dan

edit: Most hunters I have met aren't very good. They either just want antlers and won't shoot the other deer or are too lazy to walk out to the stand. They want to drive their truck right up to the woods and wonder why they don't see any deer. One place we farm has 10" ruts in the field from the hunters driving a ATV from stand to stand.

Then you have the hunters who think taking 8 deer off a 200 acre farm will keep the population even. I could shoot 30 deer on that farm in 2 days.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cheyenne19</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

So are the supposed to know twice as much? That's a dumb fucking statement. Perhaps the deer population is different? I've seen resident flocks of canada geese eat more than $6k worth of beans.
All in all this was another great thread in the life of "VLD's or Amaxes for Hunting" threads. A simple search would have saved all of us the trouble. </div></div>

+1 I can't plant small grain (wheat/barley) near a pond because the geese will literally eat it all. I don't shoot geese though. Takes too much time.

Damn Deersniper,

wish I was a little closer to help, and I promise not to tear-up your roads and field while doing it. ;-) It's a REAL problem for you, but sounds like paradise to a lot of us a-holes.

LOL just think, there are all kinds of people out there who intentionally plant this stuff just to try and get deer to hang out.

Maybe you should turn your farm into a new company....maybe call it "Deer Sniper Safari" Forget all about those Beans and Corn.....Sorry I couldn't help myself :)

I actually know of a few Almond farmers who have trouble with wild pigs eating up their crops. Every single time they open one up anywhere near growing/harvest time they are completely full of Almonds.

Good luck man, and if I'm ever on the East side, I'll bring some bullets. *Big Cheesy grin*

-Pat

Not to be a smart ass but the Hornady reloading manual (in the bullet section)says " This bullet is also excellent for hunting thin-skinned game" I do believe deer to be thin skinned .

Sorry wasnt trying to piss anyone off just wondering. Sounds like the mayland game and fish need a better management policy on the deer they have there. We just went and shot 128 snow geese that were picking a winter wheat field clean today so i see your point on crop loss. So here is a question for you do you have the people who complain about no access to land but then only want to shoot bucks and not does? i have a couple of freinds that ranch and when ever any one asks to hunt they tell them yes but you have to shoot a doe first and 75% of them say they dont want to mess with it because they are to lazy.

Kurt: i have a couple of freinds that ranch and when ever any one asks to hunt they tell them yes but you have to shoot a doe first and 75% of them say they dont want to mess with it because they are to lazy.

Sad, you can't eat horns. I'd take a doe in a New York minute.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ed 221</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not to be a smart ass but the Hornady reloading manual (in the bullet section)says " This bullet is also excellent for hunting thin-skinned game" I do believe deer to be thin skinned . </div></div>

Thank you.

According to Vol. 2 of the 6th edition Hornady manual all the Hornady A-Max bullets above 224" are listed as Target-Match, Varmint and Medium Game bullets.

The 75 A-Max is listed as a Target-Match and Varmint bullet.

thanks ss. Like I was mentioning. I am not dead set on these bullets. They are just where I am starting. I will probably move to an Accubond or E-tip when hunting season roles around. Haven't really decided. Depending on tags being drawn, could be a couple backpacking Sheep and Goat hunts, in which case I may stick with the A-max or look at the Interbond.

I had great results out of an XP-100 6.5-284 handgun on both my sheep and goat using the SST's too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bunkerbean</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do they A-max and SST's fly much different? Is there a big POI shift? </div></div>

In my .264 Win mag they do. The 140 A-max shot alot better than the 140 SST. Had to redo load to get then to shoot under a minute. I shoot the A-max in altmost all of my guns. I have shot deer with my .308 155 A-max and man it was DRT at 300 yards. The SST's did well on an elk but I plan on building a 7mm to run the 162 A-max and with some field testing it may take a trip out west with me this year.

Great B.C.s Tough and explosive once in the animal. I don't care if the bullet passes through for a blood trail - I don't want to have to follow them to find them. I want the vitals to be mush, there isn't much tracking required then. I've tested them on many objects with my .308, .264 and .260 out to 500 yards and like I said I feel pretty confident it will drop a deer and anything smaller. If testing verifys the same results in the 7mm, I plan on taking the 162's out for Elk.

JamieD

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GoForBroke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Kurt: i have a couple of freinds that ranch and when ever any one asks to hunt they tell them yes but you have to shoot a doe first and 75% of them say they dont want to mess with it because they are to lazy.

Sad, you can't eat horns. I'd take a doe in a New York minute. </div></div>

I love meeting ranchers like this because I will shoot does all day long.
The only thing I do with horns is make knife handles.
Yes, the Amax will kill shit. Just because some folks have read that it won't work doesn't make it so!