• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

168 gr. Match BTHP Load(s) suggestions

adkmtnman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 14, 2011
Upstate, NY
Hey guys...

Just wondering if anyone has some good loads worked up for the 168 gr. Match BTHP. I'm shooting a Rem700 26" barrel 1:12 twist. Trying to get a feel for different loads people are using, to help me narrow down one. This way I can start making ballistic tables and such

Thanks for the time!

Re: 168 gr. Match BTHP Load(s) suggestions

What powder do you want to use?

Here's something to try out.

(Hot load) 46.2 gr Varget, 168 SMK @ 2.85" OAL in Win Brass
(Easier Load) same parameters with 42.5 gr Varget

Right now, IMR 4064, but I am open to suggestions... And I have a bunch of different powders as I load other calibers..

Thanks!

Just a second, let me look up my 4064 data...

Warm Load:

Same parameters, but 44.1gr IMR 4064

Low Load:

40.5gr IMR 4064

You shouldn't have trouble getting to the faster load, but work into it a little.

Thank you...

I need to invest in a chrono... This way I can find out the all important FPS data...

Thanks again!

My 26" remmy tube likes 44 grains of Reloader-15 in a win. case and wlr primers.

With 4064 in .308, 41.5 to 42.5 gr should do it.

My barrel with 42.5 gives 2560-2600 fps from an M1A with 168s, right there in the spec for M852 (2550 at 78 feet, +/- 30 fps, about = 2560-2620 fps at 10 feet).

Then there is the old reliable 41.5 IMR-4895 load, again in military brass. I suspect it goes a bit slower, like 2530-2550 at 10 feet, but that was the one which for years we said, "if your rifle won't shoot this load well, it has a problem".

Work up and believe your chronograph AND your targets. I suspect that Win brass might take a full grain more of powder to reach the full-spec velocity, but you are the one responsible for your safety.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: adkmtnman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey guys...

Just wondering if anyone has some good loads worked up for the 168 gr. Match BTHP. I'm shooting a Rem700 26" barrel 1:12 twist. Trying to get a feel for different loads people are using, to help me narrow down one. This way I can start making ballistic tables and such

Thanks for the time!
</div></div>

Hey adkmtnman,

You should try a box of Hornady AMAX 168 grain bullets. They are flatter shooting than 175 grain SMK bullets and comperable to 1,000 yards. I'm dispensing 43.3 grains of H4895 powder using R&P brass with Wolf LR primers. I'm using AMAX 168 bullets with an ogive height that yields a typical COAL of about 2.810" but this varies slightly depending on the bullet. This load in my 40 year old Remington 700 BDL with a 24" barrel leaves at 2,730FPS. This is a very good load for my old Varmint special 700.

HTH!

I use 44grn of varget.
Easy on barrel yet plenty fast

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grump</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With 4064 in .308, 41.5 to 42.5 gr should do it.

My barrel with 42.5 gives 2560-2600 fps from an M1A with 168s, right there in the spec for M852 (2550 at 78 feet, +/- 30 fps, about = 2560-2620 fps at 10 feet).

Then there is the old reliable 41.5 IMR-4895 load, again in military brass. I suspect it goes a bit slower, like 2530-2550 at 10 feet, but that was the one which for years we said, "if your rifle won't shoot this load well, it has a problem".

Work up and believe your chronograph AND your targets. I suspect that Win brass might take a full grain more of powder to reach the full-spec velocity, but you are the one responsible for your safety. </div></div>

adkmtnman,

Grump's suggestion of IMR4895 powder is an excellent one in commercial brass though only a light starting charge. I like 44.2 grains of IMR4895 with the same assembly details as the H4895 load for a very similar 2,730FPS out of my varmint barreled Rem700. These are both 1,000 yard capable loads in my early '70's vintage (my first high-power bolt gun) Rem 700 which for some 40 years has always preferred 168 grain bullets.

You can get to 2,800FPS using RL-17 but by many reports this is not a very temperature stable powder and on a warm day will be over-pressure. Both H4895 and IMR4895 seem pretty heat insensitive and I have used both for some time here in southern California mostly in the hot (70F-120F) weather though not so much in the cold (lower than 50F). Varget is also very popular powder choice in terms of temperature insensitivity but Varget seems to be inconsistent lot to lot which is why I buy it in the 8lb. jugs! Hodgdon BL-C2 is another good powder that can give you a speed boost due to it's density and softer hit when ignited. Using about 46.0 grains of BL-C2 will get you close to the same velocity as the Hodgdon 4895 and IMR 4895 powders above.

My personal favorite powders for .308Win (all easily loaded to safely produce higher velocities and consistently accurate rounds) using 168 grain bullets are IMR4895, IMR3031, H4895, BL-C2 and Varget. All of my pet powders seem to produce slightly more modest pressures by weight when compared with other commonly used powders for .308Win. The slightly lower energy powders ignite softer and produce more gas slower than higher energy powders which IMO is why they tend to produce more velocity and accurate loaded rounds. Combining a softer primer it seems like you can get more velocity from the same components because you can use slightly more powder to increase the volume and duration of high gas pressure to work on accelerating the bullet down the barrel.

Remember, start 10% below current loading manual maximum charge weights and work up from there looking for pressure signs. If you shoot inside 600 yards you will probably see more consistency from modest powder charges and velocity.

HTH!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: srtaman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use 44grn of varget.
Easy on barrel yet plenty fast </div></div>

srtaman,

From what I have seen in testing I'd say that inside 800 yards or so a 168 grain AMAX bullet sitting over 44.0 grains of Varget is a great load and under the right atmospheric conditions even 1,000 yards is doable. By comparison a 168 grain SMK is excellent to 700 yards or so but pretty much done by 900 yards. The edge from the AMAX's BC and slightly higher velocity makes a huge difference when shooting long range but inside 700 yards they are pretty close in practical terms.

HTH!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: adkmtnman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey guys...

Thanks for the time!
</div></div>

I forgot to ask you what sort of shooting will this load be used for at what ranges. I get all wrapped up in loading for 1,000 yards plus and sometimes forget that other folks may not want to shoot on the practical fringe for the .308Win cartridge.

HTH!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YAOG</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: adkmtnman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey guys...

Thanks for the time!
</div></div>

I forgot to ask you what sort of shooting will this load be used for at what ranges. I get all wrapped up in loading for 1,000 yards plus and sometimes forget that other folks may not want to shoot on the practical fringe for the .308Win cartridge.

HTH!
</div></div>

First off, Thank you to everyone that has contributed in my quest to find the right load. I know I will have to experiment.

Yaog, Id love to shoot 1000, heck I would be thrilled with 500 yards. However, most shots taken inside 300 yards. I would love to have "an all around" round capable of 1000...

EVERY ONE of the powders that you have listed, I have and use for other calibers I load for. I use a fair amount of IMR4895. What is the min and max on that load so I can work it up. I need to order a chrono so that I can fine tune things...

Thank you again soooooo much to all!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: adkmtnman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
First off, Thank you to everyone that has contributed in my quest to find the right load. I know I will have to experiment.

Yaog, Id love to shoot 1000, heck I would be thrilled with 500 yards. However, most shots taken inside 300 yards. I would love to have "an all around" round capable of 1000...

EVERY ONE of the powders that you have listed, I have and use for other calibers I load for. I use a fair amount of IMR4895. What is the min and max on that load so I can work it up. I need to order a chrono so that I can fine tune things...

Thank you again soooooo much to all!!! </div></div>

adkmtnman,

Have a look here: Hodgdon Powder load database The best data is from the powder manufacture IME and gives you a good place to start.

HTH!

In general most people I've talked to don't consider the 168 SMK a 1000 yd round, the BC is too low, and it wants to go transonic somewhere around 900 and things get wonky by 1000.

So that said I don't shoot 168SMKs; however, this info may be helpful to you anyway.

I do shoot 165 BTHP SGKs for hunting, and I've been told and seen written that for most folks who shoot 168s they are a great hunting round because the POI it the same as the 168 at hunting ranges. I just finished doing load workups with the 165 and my 308s shoot 3/8 to 3/4 moa with the SGKs at about 2700 fps. I load them over 44.9gn of Varget. Winchester or BH Match brass, CCI 200 primers. My guns are a 26" VLS and a LSR with a 24" Rock.

I'm using:

168 gr HPBT SMK
42.5 Varget
2.800 COAL
Once fire Fed brass
FGMM Primers

Pretty close to a FGMM Clone too

Mod.700 SPS Tac.
Hodgdon BLC-2 / 44.3 grains
168 grn/smk
Fed. brass
FGMM primer
O.A.L = 2.800

I tested this load yesterday with five three rounds groups. All the groups were atleast 3/4" with the best group coming in at .292" @ 100yds. I'll be loading more with this load to check and see if it will be consistant. My rifle also likes RE-15 and Varget with the 168 grn, SMK'S, Hornady Match & A-Max.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: XTR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In general most people I've talked to don't consider the 168 SMK a 1000 yd round, the BC is too low, and it wants to go transonic somewhere around 900 and things get wonky by 1000.

So that said I don't shoot 168SMKs; however, this info may be helpful to you anyway.
<<SNIPPED>></div></div>

Most people when talking about Sierra 168 grain MKs are right about the SMK168s being a poor bullet choice for 1,000 yard shooting. Even at 2,900FPS (which is not likely from a tactical length barrel) SMK168s can barely stay supersonic at sea level and this does not take into account the SMK168's poor behavior as it starts to go transonic. With a muzzle velocity of 2.750FPS up to about 800 yards SMK168s are very good but past this distance SMK168s target precision fails very quickly.

This is why I was discussing the Hornady 168 grain AMAX bullets. The AMAX168s BC is more like a 175 grain SMK and this clearly shows in the field at ranges well beyond 800 yards. The AMAX168s only need to leave the barrel at 2,750FPS (possible even with a factory chamber)) or so to stay supersonic all the way to 1,000 yards and don't seem to behave as poorly going transonic as SMK168s. The funny thing about AMAX168s is that overall dimensionally they are more like an SMK175 with the weight of a 168. Of course you could always use a Hornady 178 grain Match bullet at 2,650FPS to get out to 1,200 yards or so.

HTH!

41.5 gns IMR 4895
Fed match brass
CCI LR primer

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YAOG</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: XTR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In general most people I've talked to don't consider the 168 SMK a 1000 yd round, the BC is too low, and it wants to go transonic somewhere around 900 and things get wonky by 1000.

<<SNIPPED>></div></div>

Most people when talking about Sierra 168 grain MKs are right about the SMK168s being a poor bullet choice for 1,000 yard shooting. Even at 2,900FPS (which is not likely from a tactical length barrel) SMK168s can barely stay supersonic at sea level and this does not take into account the SMK168's poor behavior as it starts to go transonic. With a muzzle velocity of 2.750FPS up to about 800 yards SMK168s are very good but past this distance SMK168s target precision fails very quickly.

This is why I was discussing the Hornady 168 grain AMAX bullets. The AMAX168s BC is more like a 175 grain SMK and this clearly shows in the field at ranges well beyond 800 yards. The AMAX168s only need to leave the barrel at 2,750FPS (possible even with a factory chamber)) or so to stay supersonic all the way to 1,000 yards and don't seem to behave as poorly going transonic as SMK168s. The funny thing about AMAX168s is that overall dimensionally they are more like an SMK175 with the weight of a 168. Of course you could always use a Hornady 178 grain Match bullet at 2,650FPS to get out to 1,200 yards or so.

HTH!
</div></div>

Thank you for all the info you've provided.

So, if I went with the 175gr and copy the load for the m118lr round, what am I looking at as far as a recipe? and how do u think this would perform out of a 1:12 twist 26" barrel rem 700?

Thanks again bud

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: adkmtnman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><<SNIPPED>>
Thank you for all the info you've provided.

So, if I went with the 175gr and copy the load for the m118lr round, what am I looking at as far as a recipe? and how do u think this would perform out of a 1:12 twist 26" barrel rem 700?

Thanks again bud </div></div>

Well I don't know much about the M118LR rounds so I cannot help you there. Do you have a good chrono? Using a Kurzzeit PVM21 chrono my tired old Rem 700 with a 24" 1:12 barrel using Hornady 178 grain Match bullets over 42.3 grains of IMR4895 powder, commercial Remington brass, Wolf LR primers assembled with cases trimmed to 2.005", cases sized to net 0.002" headpspace, a base to ogive height of 2.159" for an approx. COAL of 2.835" or so with 0.001" neck tension I get 2,650FPS. BUT YMMV and your rifle's chamber and throat is most certainly tighter and that 26" barrel is going to give you an extra 30-40FPS so start with a 5%-7% lower charge weight and check for pressure signs before increasing charge weight.

HTH!

adkmtnman,

If you don't have any IMR4895 or it's hard to find in your area H4895, IMR3031 or IMR8208XBR all get to 2,650FPS with the same cartridge setup using different charge weights of course than shown for IMR4895. I just happen to like IMR4895 and have had a lot of good experiences using it over the many, many years I've been using it. But H4895 and IMR8208XBR are both great too and very temperature stable so you have less of an issue with marginal pressure with hot loads and almost no vertical changes to POI as air temps go up.

HTH!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YAOG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
adkmtnman,

If you don't have any IMR4895 or it's hard to find in your area H4895, IMR3031 or IMR8208XBR all get to 2,650FPS with the same cartridge setup using different charge weights of course than shown for IMR4895. I just happen to like IMR4895 and have had a lot of good experiences using it over the many, many years I've been using it. But H4895 and IMR8208XPR are both great too and very temperature stable so you have less of an issue with marginal pressure with hot loads and almost no vertical changes to POI as air temps go up.

HTH!
</div></div>

I do have IMR4895... I just happened to get a brand new can as a matter of fact free thanks to Cabelas sending me that in stead of varget... how u mix those too up is beyond me!
Anyhow, I need to get a chrono. I was thinking of the Pro Chrono, but not sure. Any recommendations are greatly accepted. I would like something that shows me a string of shots and high and low and average fps...
Ill look at the one that you mentioned.

Thanks bud

Running a Rem 700 26" barrel 1 in 12 twist.

Rem brass
45 gr of Accurate 2520
CCI 200
168 SMK

42.5 H4895
168 SMK
CCI 200

20" SPS Tac AAC Cyclone
6100' elevation

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: adkmtnman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YAOG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
adkmtnman,

If you don't have any IMR4895 or it's hard to find in your area H4895, IMR3031 or IMR8208XBR all get to 2,650FPS with the same cartridge setup using different charge weights of course than shown for IMR4895. I just happen to like IMR4895 and have had a lot of good experiences using it over the many, many years I've been using it. But H4895 and IMR8208XPR are both great too and very temperature stable so you have less of an issue with marginal pressure with hot loads and almost no vertical changes to POI as air temps go up.

HTH!
</div></div>

I do have IMR4895... I just happened to get a brand new can as a matter of fact free thanks to Cabelas sending me that in stead of varget... how u mix those too up is beyond me!
Anyhow, I need to get a chrono. I was thinking of the Pro Chrono, but not sure. Any recommendations are greatly accepted. I would like something that shows me a string of shots and high and low and average fps...
Ill look at the one that you mentioned.

Thanks bud
</div></div>

How nice of them to send you free powder!

Well I don't have any personal experience with the popular inexpensive chrono units but a lot of people swear by them and a lot of people swear at them. The Kurzzeit PVM21 is expensive but other than an Oehler 35P I don't think anyting else is as repeatable or reliably accurate.

Cheers!