• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

168 SMK Replacement for Rem 700. .308

BrokenTrace

Private
Minuteman
Sep 30, 2011
www.burgersandboomsticks.com
I am curious as to what the community would recommend for a comparable bullet for the 168 SMK? The are getting harder and harder to find and I want to get something that is close to the ballistics of the SMK.
Any ideas of brand and model?
I have heard about Berger and Barnes, but wanted to get the general consensus.

Thanks!

Some of my target rifles like the Hornady 168 A-Max better then the SMKs, some don't. A-Max works better then Bergers in most of my guns.

But all guns are different just like people.

The 168s seem to be coming in at midway every few weeks or so, and stay in stock for a few hours. Sign up for a notification and you will most likely get some soon. After they go back oos reset your notification.

Ideally I want something with similar ballistics and physical size so I can use the same dope charts. I'd also like to have a few brands available since we are in a crazy ammo market right now.

Try the Hornady 168 BTHP. Should perform closely to the SMK. The AMAX is an excellent bullet and better for long range than the SMK as it has a better BC and does better going transonic but with the higher BC it might fly slightly different than the SMK. Honestly I wouldn't worry about trying to keep the same data. Just run a different chart with whatever bullet you choose.

I am curious as to what the community would recommend for a comparable bullet for the 168 SMK? The are getting harder and harder to find and I want to get something that is close to the ballistics of the SMK.
Any ideas of brand and model?
I have heard about Berger and Barnes, but wanted to get the general consensus.

Thanks!

AMAXs pretty much always shoot better than matchkings in my 308s.