• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

173 grain M118 bullets...

Just Jim

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 13, 2008
"Mexico North" (So. Calif.)
Was cleaning out my bench recently, and discovered a small lot of DCM 173 grain M118 bullets. Anyone have a proven .308 load using AA2520, IMR 3031 or Varget? Given the current scarcity of components, I'd like to shorten the load development process.

Thanks in advance! Jim

Re: 173 grain M118 bullets...

45.O of Varget in LC brass is warm but works well in three different 700's. One a Sendero, One a PSS and one a LTR. Any thing a 175 will take sould be safe. I've not tried 173's with TAC yet but I'm getting some great groups with it and 168/175 SMK. And the TAC is cheaper here than Varget. I love the 173's in my Garands and M1A's. I use IMR4895 for them and try to load to GI spec.

These were sold in bulk (by the 50 caliber ammo can full) by DCM/CMP years ago. They are no longer made to my knowledge. They have not been available in at least 8-9 years (maybe longer).

Jerry

Thought that was the case! I bought 500 at a gunshow in PA several years ago and hadn't seen any for quite a while.