• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

175 AMax Out Of A 20" 5R - Which Powder?

Gosu

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 18, 2012
300 yard is the norm, but big swings in temperature and humidity. Looking for something that meters well.
Narrowed down to:
Varget
IMR 4895
H 4895
and finally I am real interested in the CFE 223.

Been using BLC2 (left over from my kid's AR) with Nosler 168 BTHP with decent success.

Used some of a friends powder (IMR 4895) and 175 AMax the other day for 20 rounds. Much better success with that. Went from .692 MOA to .402 MOA at 300.

About to buy a larger order from Powder Valley and kind of leaning towards the CFE 223 but can't find enough information to give the warm and fuzzies.

Thoughts?

Re: 175 AMax Out Of A 20" 5R - Which Powder?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ejd049</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use Varget with 178 AMax </div></div>
From what I have heard, Varget doesn't have issues with temperature as much as it can a little bit of a pain metering out of throw, right?

Been real happy with Varget. 43.8 grains for 308

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PappaSniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Been real happy with Varget. 43.8 grains for 308 </div></div>

My first load was 43.3 with a 1 in 12 at 2550fps. After a rebarrel and some work I bumped it up to 44.00 with a 1 in 10.

CFE223 is not in their extreme line of powder so it might give you fits with temperature sensaivity. Varget has been great to me at 43.3 set at 2.80 but I am now using Alliant AR-Comp and it is an extruded powder similar to Varget but a little smaller. It meters better plus I get more velocity out of my 22" barrel. i get 2720fps out of a 22" barrel by using 42gr of AR-comp at 2.80

8208xbr meters pretty well, better than Varget but won't give you top velocity. RE15 is so-so metering-wise, excellent velocity. Alliant 2000mr meters great, and gives great speed.

It's a mistake to make a bulk powder purchase not knowing EXACTLY what you want. Buy it locally by the pound to try out first. You'll know when you've found the powder you want 8lbs of...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">8208xbr meters pretty well, better than Varget but won't give you top velocity. RE15 is so-so metering-wise, excellent velocity. Alliant 2000mr meters great, and gives great speed.

It's a mistake to make a bulk powder purchase not knowing EXACTLY what you want. Buy it locally by the pound to try out first. You'll know when you've found the powder you want 8lbs of... </div></div>The Alliant 2000mr is the same as the CFE223. So you like the 2000?

I'm using varget and 175smk's with good results. I will be trying alliants Pro MR2000 and Hornaday 178 bthp in the very near future. Trying to see how far I can push a 20" tube .308

2000mr from my 20" LTR with 175smk, 2650 fps. Around 5/8 moa and consistent. Meters real nice from a RCBS powder thrower.

I ended up buying Varget, CFE223, W231 and WST (needed powder for the pistols also).
I ordered bulk of the CFE223 mainly because of the .223 loads also.

CFE223 and 2000MR are suppose to be the same powder. Love the 2000MR powder for 308 with 175/178 grain bullets. My experience with Varget has been mixed. The first time running it, my groups were around an inch and couldn't dial it in. The next time with the same loads (40 degrees cooler), my groups were under 1/2". I may have to retry it some day. Reloader 15 is my other choice.

WST is awesome for pistols! I used 231, greendot, Bullseye, and many others. Settled on WST for most loads.

Paul

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pcschwenke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">CFE223 and 2000MR are suppose to be the same powder. Love the 2000MR powder for 308 with 175/178 grain bullets. My experience with Varget has been mixed. The first time running it, my groups were around an inch and couldn't dial it in. The next time with the same loads (40 degrees cooler), my groups were under 1/2". I may have to retry it some day. Reloader 15 is my other choice.

WST is awesome for pistols! I used 231, greendot, Bullseye, and many others. Settled on WST for most loads.

Paul

</div></div>
thanks Paul. What are you running with the 175/ 178 and the 2000MR?
Joe

My current load is Winchester primers with 47.5 grains of 2000MR. The cases have been Federal and Hornady. I just picked up new Lapua & Winchesters and I'm not sure if I need to adjust my load or not. My gun has a large sweet spot with this combination.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pcschwenke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My current load is Winchester primers with 47.5 grains of 2000MR. The cases have been Federal and Hornady. I just picked up new Lapua & Winchesters and I'm not sure if I need to adjust my load or not. My gun has a large sweet spot with this combination. </div></div>I have read, not sure if it is still holds true, but the Federal cases had issues with splitting around the primer holes after a half dozen reloads.

gosu, I've shot mine 7-8X already with no issues. The primer pockets seem no different than the new Winchester brass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">8208xbr meters pretty well, better than Varget but won't give you top velocity. </div></div>

How fast do you want to go? I find that for 300 yards I can shoot .3 MOA groups with this bullet at 2615 fps average.

Well within the capability of 8208 XBR. Varget is just too much a pita for metering. The granules are so large that just one or two falling from the tube of a Chargemaster will put your charge over.

Not only is 8208 XBR a better metering powder, it yields the same speeds over temps ranging from freezing to 100 degrees. Some Bench Rest shooters have also demonstrated that it yields nice small groups over a range of charge weights. In other words larger sweet spots.

I'll be trying a pound this week. If it works then that creates another problem for me of "What to do with the 24# of Varget I have in stock
frown.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pcschwenke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My current load is Winchester primers with 47.5 grains of 2000MR. The cases have been Federal and Hornady. I just picked up new Lapua & Winchesters and I'm not sure if I need to adjust my load or not. My gun has a large sweet spot with this combination. </div></div>
So my CFE 223 shows up tomorrow. What kind of min. / Max are you using for the 2000?

gosu, I started at 46 grains and worked my way up to 48.5. Didn't have any pressure signs in my 5R but, start low and work up. At 47.5 grains, I can be +/-0.4 grains without noticing a difference.

Paul

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pcschwenke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">gosu, I started at 46 grains and worked my way up to 48.5. Didn't have any pressure signs in my 5R but, start low and work up. At 47.5 grains, I can be +/-0.4 grains without noticing a difference.

Paul </div></div>Thanks Paul, I'll post up data later this week once I get some together.
Joe

I would recommend using MR 2000 as well. I am using Winchester brass/ CCI BR 2/ 46 Gr MR 2000/ 178 GR BTHP/ 2.810 COAL. shoots one ragged hole at 100 yds with my KAC MK 11 MOD O. Interestingly enought I get better results with the 168/Varget combo.

YMMV

Johnny

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1SMALLJOHNSON</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where the blazes did anyone hear that 2000 MR and CFE 223 were the same powder? Could this be an internet "fact", supported by someone else's supposition? </div></div>There are several threads on the CFE223 and 2000MR right within this very forum. Both are made by St Marks. According to tech at Hodgdon, they are similar but wouldn't' elaborate on differences. He did elude to reduced fouling on the CFE, go figure being his product.