• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing 175 SMK -VS- Coyote

Shocktroop0351

Private
Minuteman
Dec 4, 2008
SE Montana
I just thought some of you might find this as interesting as I did. I recently shot a coyote at ~425yds with my .308. I actually shot it twice, first shot hit the shoulder and then after it quit jumping around I made a better shot into the vitals to drop it for good. This picture shows the entrance wounds but the exits were exactly the same. If it wasn't for the blood on the fur you wouldn't have been able to find the exit wounds. No expansion or damage at all besides the hole itself.
IMAG0028.jpg

Re: 175 SMK -VS- Coyote

what would be a better .308 bullet for Coyotes?

Bergers vld hunting bullets are devastating on deer they would do the same on coyotes im sure.

I recently started hunting with my 175s which they have dropped 3 hogs. Last year I was using hornady 168gr amax which blows a nice hole. I think Im going to switch back to the 168s for hunting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: typhoon186</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what would be a better .308 bullet for Coyotes? </div></div>

178 gr Hornady A-Max made grapefruit sized exit holes in two coyotes I shot. 2 weeks prior to hunting with them I banged steel out to 700 yards with the same dope dialed in for my 175 SMK load and they printed within .1 to .2 MILs of each other. I'm a believer in the A-Max thus far!

<span style="font-style: italic">"No expansion or damage at all besides the hole itself."</span>

<span style="font-style: italic">"what would be a better .308 bullet for Coyotes?"</span>

Pretty much any soft nose, hollow point, or plastic tipped hunting bullet designed for rapid expansion is better. A 'yote is only a few inches across and slower expanding bullets, or non-expanding bullets, are likely to produce mediocre results.

A Berger VLD, A-Max, Nosler Ballistic Tip, or most conventional soft points will expand quicker and do a lot more damage. Consider lighter and faster, but the trajectory won't match your long range load.

It's easy to get wrapped up in the SMK magic - they're great on target. Sometimes they work well on game, sometimes they don't. I prefer a fast expanding bullet on coyotes myself, like the Berger VLD. Ripped the snot out of this one. The backside is really ugly!
da552040.jpg

Now, let's go shoot some more yotes!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bub</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's a nice dog. Pretty good shot at that distance too. </div></div>

Thanks, I was a little disappointed that I hit her in the shoulder first, I just got excited I guess.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: typhoon186</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what would be a better .308 bullet for Coyotes? </div></div> If your wanting knockdown power I would say do not even try the SMK's. I've shot coyotes with my .243 with soft points and they seem to transfer way more energy and drop the animal quicker. This coyote seemed to be confused and dazed for a few seconds after I hit her the second time until she just laid over and collapsed. I would say it didn't seem like there was much energy transfer. <span style="font-style: italic">BUT</span> if your trying to save the pelts and sell them, I don't think there is a better choice considering the exit hole was basically the same size as the entrance with my SMK. I didn't measure it but if it hadn't been for the blood on the fur I wouldn't have even known where to look.