• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

178 amax vs 180 accubond

gcoulsey

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2010
Lincolnshire England UK
Just curious,
I currently use my accuracy load of 178's for hunting,
But was looking at the 180 accubond figures on jbm,
And it pretty much runs identical, it has a slightly higher (published) bc,
But was wondering if you chaps have any realworld experience with them downrange??
Are they anywhere near as accurate as the amax?

Re: 178 amax vs 180 accubond

I only shoot them out of one 308 huntin' rifle. My rifle shoots 'em .5" @ 100yds. Never tried to air 'em out. They aren't a match bullet, like the A-max, but tend too shoot well. All rifles are different, only one real way to find out......

Re: 178 amax vs 180 accubond

The 165 Accubonds shoot as good as the 175SMK in my Rem 5r, and better than the 168 SMKs, all of which are sub-moa.

In fact, the best groups at 100yard I have shot were with the 165 accubonds, three different 5 shot groups right at .2 inches.

For hunting I dont use anything else, and to be honest out to 800 I would prefer them over the smks on targets too, its just that they are expensive. Since my rifle likes the 175smks about as well thats what I feed it.

One more thing, if this is out of a 308, consider the 165accubond. At the longer ranges, the 180 may not expand as much as the amax or the 165s. It is a tough bullet and even at very close range wont let you down.