• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

178 gr BTHP BLEMS

You see blems from time to time from manufacturers, in your experiences, what is exactly wrong with them and no worries shooting? Was curious if they're just cosmetic which shouldn't matter

I just bought some blem 150 gr. SST bullets from Hornady. On the box is written Won't shoot/Accuracy issues. I paid $13.50 per box of 100. I don't know what type of accuracy standard they hold their bullets to, but they will probably shoot fine for me.

Bought some 175 blems from Graf.

They look fine to me, but I haven't yet weighed a sample to see if that possibly was the issue.

<EDIT> Weighed five yesterday. All +/- 0.1Gr. ES = 0.2Gr. All were unmarked, but didn't look to be as highly polished as first quality.

Last edited:
You see blems from time to time from manufacturers, in your experiences, what is exactly wrong with them and no worries shooting? Was curious if they're just cosmetic which shouldn't matter

midway usually sells hornady blems and advertises cosmetic blem only. usually discoloration in the jackets i got some hornady blems that are almost black. i got some 168 ballistic tip blems[168 a max] that the plastic tips were all diffrent sizes looked like the machine was not pouring enough pastic or they were using 55 v max tips in 168 a max bullets. i have some nosler blems that the seams on the tip where the jacket was formed are very visible. i have some sierra or nosler blems that i can not tell why they are blems.

Hornady blems from my experience are cosmetic. The price differential can be pretty significant depending on the bullet. I scored 2k 140 AMAX last year and they've shot fine out of my 260 Rem. I've gone through 500 so far and haven't had any issues.

I've not taken the time to weigh or sort them in any fashion. Trying to get trigger time behind my 260. On a good day, I'll get half MOA and that is plenty good enough for me.

I've bought 175 blems before also, not sure if they were SMK's, or CC's.
They were cosmetic issues, never could see a grouping difference. I have bought some lighter blems that DID fly poorly, so they were plinking type duty. Just depends on what you want, if match quality is your game; stick to first run products.