• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.17HMR or .22 mag?

Re: .17HMR or .22 mag?

Define what you consider "longer range" and are you hunting, punching paper, or both? Lot's of bolt gun options aside from just Ruger. Although I'm not sure about semi-auto 22WMR or 17HMR options.

Agreed, both. Out to 100 yards the 22wmr is a useful round.
Past 100 the 17 hmr carries better velocity and accuracy.
Nice thing about a rifle that accepts multiple barrels,
match caliber to purpose while maintaining rifle and trigger
feel and weight. Availability of ammo is useful too.

I personally shoot a 17hmr and Love it. I have had both, I use mine for hog hunting and squirrel hunting. At 100 yards neither one stands a chance. I use the marlin 17 with bull barrle and Nikon 3x9x50 scope. It's not the fanciest gun in the world but very durable.

I converted a 77/22 mag to 17hmr with a Lilja drop-in varmint barrel and McMillan stock. It is a tack driver, performs well on prairie dogs out to 200 with well placed shots.

Can someone explain why anyone would own a rifle for in 17 hmr or 22mag?

The price of those rounds are comparable to 223 before 12-14.

For the same price of ammo im taking 223 every time over any rimfire.

Target shooting, hunting, plinking, 223 whoops the rimfires everyday, and you can reload the 223.

Some people like a little less noise and recoil. Some like to have the next best thing. When it comes down to it trigger time is trigger time. I prefer to load my own but those little 17s are fun to shoot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cpt. obvious</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can someone explain why anyone would own a rifle for in 17 hmr or 22mag?

</div></div>

Shoot a fair number of sage rats here in Oregon. Many farmers prefer you use a rimfire cartridge near their homes/barns/irrigation equipment. 17 doesn't ricochet it pretty much disengrates on impact. It is flat shooting and vaporizes the rats close in and lays them out farther along. No recoil and I can watch the aerobatics in my scope when they impact.

I buy them in bulk at for 20c a round on sale a couple of times a year. ($10/50rnds)

Don't get me wrong I like the 223. I have 2 bolt guns in 223 but the 17HMR is just more fun. Reloading is a chore especially if you are just slinging rounds at rats through alfalfa all day.

That makes sense. I understand it is a niche cartridge, I just dont have a niche for it.

I have never fired a .22 mag, so my vote goes to the .17HMR. (maybe not fair to the .22 mag) I have dumped 4 coyotes with the .17HMR. The longest kill was at 200 yards and I held about 10" high. The coyote ran about 20' into the woods and died. My closest shot was 100 yards, I hit him right in the melon. I think inside 200 yards the .17HMR is great as long as your patient and know your rifle/bullet, past 200, I'd use a .223. But then again, they did reveal the .17WSM at SHOT this year.

Last edited:

You gotta have both. i do and i have a hard time choosing which one to carry into the field. and with recent 30 grain offerings,the 22mag isnt really lacking in performance area as it once was when the 17hmr came out. Not to mention 22mag ammo is usually a few bucks cheaper and has vast projectile weight and design offerings when compared to the 17s 3 or so

The new 17 WSM that was just announced in Shot Show 2013 looks very interesting as well, although availability of rifles for it will likely be in lacking in the beginning.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jimichanga</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cpt. obvious</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can someone explain why anyone would own a rifle for in 17 hmr or 22mag?

</div></div>

Shoot a fair number of sage rats here in Oregon. Many farmers prefer you use a rimfire cartridge near their homes/barns/irrigation equipment. 17 doesn't ricochet it pretty much disengrates on impact. It is flat shooting and vaporizes the rats close in and lays them out farther along. No recoil and I can watch the aerobatics in my scope when they impact.

I buy them in bulk at for 20c a round on sale a couple of times a year. ($10/50rnds)

Don't get me wrong I like the 223. I have 2 bolt guns in 223 but the 17HMR is just more fun. Reloading is a chore especially if you are just slinging rounds at rats through alfalfa all day.

</div></div>
Where are you finding them for 10 a box? Are the hornady 17gr vmax?

It's obvious, Captain ;-)
I live in a build up area.
We have a problem with coyotes.
The neighbors aren't going to appreciate:
-the noise of a .223
-the fact that it carries a lot farther...they seem to have an issue with the thought of round going through their living room.
yup...pretty obvious.

The .22WMR is gonna hit harder at closer ranges, maybe up to 150 yards due to a heavier bullet. The .17HMR is gonna shoot way flatter with better long range performance in my humble opinion. I like the .22WMR myself. I would not really be looking to shoot any critters beyond 150 yards, so it works well for me, but there is no joke about the .17's ability to reach out with accuracy.

I love my .17. It shoots flat and accurate. It is a lot quieter than my .223. A couple weeks back I posted
a lasered 301 yard ground squirrel kill and it made me extremely happy with my setup

Suppressed .17HMR is a riot. Sounds like a pellet gun and I have been accurate on Prairie Dogs out to 301 yards with a ballistic drop scope. Absoulte riot of a gun. Mine is a Savage heavy barrel Model93. If its within 300 yards it dead.

Suppressed .17HMR is a riot. Sounds like a pellet gun and I have been accurate on Prairie Dogs out to 301 yards with a ballistic drop scope. Absoulte riot of a gun. Mine is a Savage heavy barrel Model93. If its within 300 yards it dead.

What supp are you using for .17?

Can someone explain why anyone would own a rifle for in 17 hmr or 22mag?

The price of those rounds are comparable to 223 before 12-14.

For the same price of ammo im taking 223 every time over any rimfire.

Target shooting, hunting, plinking, 223 whoops the rimfires everyday, and you can reload the 223.
Ok, I will splain it to u...17hmr ammo is around $14 for a box of 50 rds. 223 ammo is no where close to that for quality factory ammo. If you reload then you know that the price for bullets, powder, primers, brass, dies add up to much more then that. Not to mention time it takes in load development and just the reloading process.
If you beleive that any 223 with crap factory ammo will shoot with the 17 hmr then I would love to shoot against you. Bring your lunch box because I get hungry after shooting. My JP-15 or my armalite will not come close to my CZ-453 within 100 yds using these parameters. This is not the case when using good reloads or top quality factory ammo but is very close.
As far as hunting goes, have you ever shot small game with a 223-5.56 ? I don't think you have. Have you ever heard of over penetration ? No, probably not.
Lets talk about noise levels between 223-5.56 & 17hmr, enough said.
If your shooting consists of going outside and shooting soda cans at 25yds once or twice a year then you are right. If you like to shoot a lot then you would know why most of use/ own a good 22lr or 17 hmr for target practice ,and like me you get both.
You should read more and shoot more before you make a statement like you posted.

My vote has always been for the heavy barreled 17 HMR's because they're just darn fuckin accurate and for $10 / box 50 rounds, you can shoot all day and spend maybe what a quality box of 556 costs with current market...

Plus I use it to hunt squirrels and other small game in the fall.

You gotta have both. i do and i have a hard time choosing which one to carry into the field. and with recent 30 grain offerings,the 22mag isnt really lacking in performance area as it once was when the 17hmr came out. Not to mention 22mag ammo is usually a few bucks cheaper and has vast projectile weight and design offerings when compared to the 17s 3 or so

I agree that the 30 g "v-max" offerings have changed the game with .22 mags. They really shrink the trajectory gap between the two rounds. FWIW, I own both calibers. As to why I use them over reloaded .223's, even though I'm a compulsive reloader, sometimes it's nice to be able to go out and shoot without having to do it. Also, they are much easier on the ears and less controversial in sound-sensitive areas. I still end up using a .22 lr much more than either one, though ...

Hey AmmoDog, I'll even make it simpler for Callen...we don't have to explain anything to you...we all don't have to like the same thing.
Really, why would you bother with a .223 when for the same outlay you can have a .308 with way more power? (do you get my drift)
Okay, this is turning into a bit of a rant but I've never got the thinking... 'gee, I don't like XYZ and don't see why everyone doesn't agree with me'

Hey AmmoDog, I'll even make it simpler for Callen...we don't have to explain anything to you...we all don't have to like the same thing.
Really, why would you bother with a .223 when for the same outlay you can have a .308 with way more power? (do you get my drift)
Okay, this is turning into a bit of a rant but I've never got the thinking... 'gee, I don't like XYZ and don't see why everyone doesn't agree with me'

Hey man, sorry if my post read like a rant but that's the way I felt at the time. To all marines shooting is serious business, it's in our blood it's how we make a living. My senior drill instructor ( AKA " dad " ) beat me with a steel pipe when we got back from the range one afternoon. That's no lie or exaggeration at all. I was platoon guide at the time and I did not shoot well that day. I guess he was making an example of me. Funny how the rest of the platoon 3066 got real busy with cleaning the squad bay while I was being taught a lesson. He only hit me in the chest with the rounded sharp end a bunch of times and caused some minor bleeding so no big deal. I did qual expert so I guess I learned my lesson.
The point is, shoot everything perfect no matter what it is ! I don't really have a favorite caliber or rifle. It just has to shoot straight. It helps when the ammo is cheep and good quality.
I hope senior drill instructor SGT forshy ( april to july 1991 platoon 3066 )does not get mad if he reads this. No hard feeling Sir !!! Semper Fi

I waited for the varmint hunters to have a say on the cartridge since my family is chocked full with
.22lr and .22mag. It didn't take long for them to say that the .17HMR sucked on coyotes and fox better
be in close.

So, it is simple for me:

Since I adore my brother's REM 597 Mag, 3/4" all day at 100yds with 30gr polymer tipped ammo {any brand name will do, it's
all made by Hornady},

I WANT REMINGTON to come out with a 597 that can handle the .17 Winchester Super Magnum...
with alloy mag bodies, floor-plate and follower.
smiley_freak.gif

Last edited: