• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

17hmr vs 22wmr

rustydog32

Private
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2011
I am looking for a left hand 22wmr for my dad and I am having no luck finding one in any quality rifle. I was looking for something in the cz price range. He is dead set on the 22wmr but how does it compare to the 17hmr? all shots would be under a 100 yards and it just doesnt seem that the 17 with the lightweight bullets would have the same energy and knockdown on larger game such as coyotes and small feral pig head shots.

Re: 17hmr vs 22wmr

Ive heard of people killing pigs and coyotes out to 150 easily (headshots of course) any power that is lacked is made up in flat trajectory, accuracy, and velocity. In about any gun you get the 17 hmr will be VERY accurate out of it. You won't be disapointed i promise
smile.gif

thanks for the input I just need to find one in a left hand bolt action now lol..

Well, I am partial to the .22 WMR when it comes to 150 yards and under...at least for taking varmints like Coyote. The .17 HMR does shoot like a laser, but can be effected by wind more so than the heavier .22 caliber bullet. I like the 30 grain ballistic tip in .22 WMR because it shoot very flat for a .22. Don't get me wrong, the .17 will be more accurate than the .22, until the wind starts to kick up a bit. JMHO.

I like the 204 also but he is really wanting the 22wmr because of ammo availability in price. in our area you don't see the 17hmr very much but I guess theres always midway

22wmr will be better on heavier varmints and even smallish pigs. Lots of good WMR loads out there, more selection than the 17HMR as far as bullet choice.
Most all HMR aamo is loaded by CCI and is labeled differently for each company.

I have killed quite a few feral hogs with the 22WMR and really like it.I like the HMR as well and relegate it to more precision work.

Popped this porkie last year with the WMR and CCI Gold Dot.

pigslayer2.jpg

I second the 30 grainers they shoot pretty flat and put the hammer on racoons and foxes . Im not really sure of an accuracy issue with the magnum I can shoot 1.5 inch 8 shot groups at 100 yds with my remington 597 . they 8 shot thing is because that is what the magazine holds.

i have a .17HMR and drop pigs with it every weekend. My brother has a .22WM and can't seem to really drop em as easily as my 17. I shoot 20 Grain FMJ and it has no problem dropping pigs. When i go coon hunting or even have fun with rabbits, i just throw in a hornady V-MAX ballistic tip and thats it!
5ff9f18d.jpg

the left hand thumb hole savage 17hmr is the shit.... I bought my boy the right hand and it shoots awesome.. the wind is not really a problem. bullet moves soo fast if you can't make a kill shot at a groundhog in 10 mph wind at 300 yds you should not take the shot! hold off 1 inch and pull the trigger...