• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

18" PERSEUS from UGSW

BlackOps Tech

Still The Head Skunk
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
This rifle is is for one of my LE customers and it's undoubtedly one of the sweetest duty rifles we do. The specs are:

UGSW Model 911 "Compatible"
Nitride Treated Bolt
UGSW Bolt Knob
UGSW Recoil Lug
Rock 18" RECON Contour Barrel
Chambered in .308 with UGSW Reamer
UGSW Custom Cap
UGSW Fire Control
UGSW Trigger
Badger Ordnance M5 Bottom Metal
Badger Ordnance EFR with UGSW Side Rails
Manners MCS-T4A as Finished By UGSW
UGSW Fit and Finish
MilSpec Cerakote mixed Flatter/Darker
UGSW Black Epoxy Stock Finish

iypw7d.jpg

11wbha1.jpg

2rrpd8i.jpg

t0rr6q.jpg

Re: 18" PERSEUS from UGSW

Mike

Once again very nice.

What are specs on the recon contour barrel?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Red Belly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mike

Once again very nice.

What are specs on the recon contour barrel? </div></div>

Thanks Red....Basically, it's an MTU with a 1.2" breech diameter, straight tapering to .940" at the muzzle. Because this is an 18" barrel, I had to slice a piece of barrel out of a longer blank, so it's pretty beefy.

I just returned from the range with this rifle and it printed a pretty impressive first five shot group, but no thanks to the weather. Normally, I shoot multiple groups for certifying, but didn't want the rifle soaked in the process....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 71firebird400</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mike,

What advantages does nitriding the bolt have over cerakoting? Run smoother?

Thanks,
Mark </div></div>

Cerakote adds dimensionally to the bolt body and slows down bolt cycle. Also, in some areas, it actually creates a sticky feel and the bolt doesn't run as smoothly.

Here in Montana, a bolt with Cerakote on it feels fine, but the same rifle shipped elsewhere won't feel the same. I started Nitriding bolt bodies to alleviate this problem and the Nitrided bolts cycle far more smoothly than the Cerakoted bolts. Bear in mind though, not all bolts can be Nitride treated. The process is material specific.

We still (obviously) Cerakote the handle and knob though....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Papagallos</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Beefy barrels look awesome, especially short barrels.

Outstanding work of art!
smile.gif
</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tip em over</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That turned out really sharp. Bet it shoots nice too!
Gotta love a 18" 308! </div></div>

Thanks Guys. Shot it today.... .215" five shot group with Hornady 178 Superformance....

Mike

Are you doing your nitriding in house?

I just purchased a BAT action for a future build. It has been nitrided. I am amazed at how nice the finish looks and feels.

Ceracoat is a great finish, but besides adding to the dimensions of the bolt it will also rub off over time.

The attention to detail on all of these UGSW rifles is amazing!! Thank you for sharing the photos!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: .257</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mike

Are you doing your nitriding in house?

I just purchased a BAT action for a future build. It has been nitrided. I am amazed at how nice the finish looks and feels.

Ceracoat is a great finish, but besides adding to the dimensions of the bolt it will also rub off over time.

The attention to detail on all of these UGSW rifles is amazing!! Thank you for sharing the photos!
</div></div>

Thanks .257....

The Nitriding is done at MMi-Trutec. We build 10 to 12 rifles at a time, so we ship the bolts to them in a batch of 10 to 12 and they turn them around in about a week. Having gotten rid of the bluing tanks because of the caustic nature of the salts, I don't think I want to get into Nitriding....

Mike built this rifle for me and all I can say is that he is a great guy to work with!

I have not had it in my hands yet but by the pics and test target I saw.....this thing will serve me beyond what I will ever need!

Thanks again Mike, you are the man.

PIC

You are 1 lucky dude and that is as bad ass as they come. Congrats on 1 wicked stick. When money is not so tight it will be 1 of those and 1 on a KMW stock. Enjoy

That's almost exactly what I want you to build me next, only with a 22" barrel and in 260. Very nice!

UGSW is pumping out some rifles! How many guys are working in the shop these days?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PIC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mike built this rifle for me and all I can say is that he is a great guy to work with!

I have not had it in my hands yet but by the pics and test target I saw.....this thing will serve me beyond what I will ever need!

Thanks again Mike, you are the man.

Thanks PIC. Much appreciated and we'll get it out Monday....

PIC </div></div>
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dan Tucker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You are 1 lucky dude and that is as bad ass as they come. Congrats on 1 wicked stick. When money is not so tight it will be 1 of those and 1 on a KMW stock. Enjoy </div></div>

Dan, I'll be sending your tracking # later today.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SavageStag</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's almost exactly what I want you to build me next, only with a 22" barrel and in 260. Very nice! </div></div>

Thanks Casey. I'm finishing one now in 6.5CM with a 22" barrel. I'll have pics soon....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goatphius</div><div class="ubbcode-body">UGSW is pumping out some rifles! How many guys are working in the shop these days? </div></div>

Believe it or not, still just two, but I just hired another guy that will start in August. With Tim and Colton in the shop, things are really going to get interesting....I'll be looking for another finish guy by the end of the year.

Thanks Mike and its great to hear business is going gang busters on your end with the way things are out their. Get with me some time on the other build ( not the varmint ) and i can pick your brain on the final color. <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skunkworks</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goatphius</div><div class="ubbcode-body">UGSW is pumping out some rifles! How many guys are working in the shop these days? </div></div>

Believe it or not, still just two, but I just hired another guy that will start in August. With Tim and Colton in the shop, things are really going to get interesting....I'll be looking for another finish guy by the end of the year.</div></div>

very slick looking rig, craftsmanship looks top notch...... would love to see and drive one in person

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: poff762</div><div class="ubbcode-body">very slick looking rig, craftsmanship looks top notch...... would love to see and drive one in person </div></div>

Thanks POFF. I'll let you know if I'm going to be in the Columbus area.

Mike - You are putting out some hot rifles. This one and the Kukri are my idea of perfect rifles; compact, light and maneuverable. I'll be calling you soon. One quick question; do you charge extra to certify the rifle's accuracy?

SC

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SierraCharlie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mike - You are putting out some hot rifles. This one and the Kukri are my idea of perfect rifles; compact, light and maneuverable. I'll be calling you soon. One quick question; do you charge extra to certify the rifle's accuracy?

SC </div></div>

Thanks SC. We shoot every rifle prior to shipping but only worry about supplying certification targets for the duty guns. We shoot so many at once that we don't try to keep track of who's target is who's, but the LE/Mil rifles are in a different category. If someone asks for their target, we're happy to oblige....

Thanks again and call anytime....

SC [/quote]

Thanks SC. We shoot every rifle prior to shipping but only worry about supplying certification targets for the duty guns. We shoot so many at once that we don't try to keep track of who's target is who's, but the LE/Mil rifles are in a different category. If someone asks for their target, we're happy to oblige....

Thanks again and call anytime.... [/quote]

I don't know if this statement should concern me. Can you elaborate as to why LE/Mil rifles are given more attention to detail than a civilian's rifle. What if we have to protect ourselves from zombies that are fast approaching our residence?
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chawk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mike,
The Perseus looks awesome with the 18" barrel. Another amazing rifle...
</div></div>

Thanks Chris....Yours is in the finish room and will see some range time after my trip to Phoenix.

We're doing a few 20" JAEGERs in .300WM and they're not disappointing me at all....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Papagallos</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SC Thanks SC. We shoot every rifle prior to shipping but only worry about supplying certification targets for the duty guns. We shoot so many at once that we don't try to keep track of who's target is who's, but the LE/Mil rifles are in a different category. If someone asks for their target, we're happy to oblige....

Thanks again and call anytime.... </div></div>

I don't know if this statement should concern me. Can you elaborate as to why LE/Mil rifles are given more attention to detail than a civilian's rifle. What if we have to protect ourselves from zombies that are fast approaching our residence?
laugh.gif
</div></div>

It shouldn't concern you at all....
grin.gif
All of our rifles receive the same attention to/level of detail and all shoot well below our guarantee. The only difference is, we don't run downrange to collect a target after each set of five shot groups for each rifle shot. If we did, we'd spend about twice the amount of time at the range and less time in the shop.

If we shipped a rifle, regardless of who the end user is, it passed our QA process, as we go well beyond accuracy in every rifle we build. Non LE/Mil users receive the exact same rifle as LE/Mil users....

You can feel quite comfortable knowing that fast approaching zombies won't be a problem.
grin.gif

Thanks Papa....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skunkworks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We're doing a few 20" JAEGERs in .300WM and they're not disappointing me at all.... </div></div>

Hmmm... everyone knows that if you cut the barrel on a 300WM below 26" that the bullets will get to the end of the barrel and fall on the ground... quivering. Lot's of experts on this site will prove you wrong on this one, Mike.
wink.gif
Of course, I'll bet they're not willing to stand in front of the rifle, at *any* range, to prove their point.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skunkworks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We're doing a few 20" JAEGERs in .300WM and they're not disappointing me at all.... </div></div>

Hmmm... everyone knows that if you cut the barrel on a 300WM below 26" that the bullets will get to the end of the barrel and fall on the ground... quivering. Lot's of experts on this site will prove you wrong on this one, Mike.
wink.gif
Of course, I'll bet they're not willing to stand in front of the rifle, at *any* range, to prove their point.

John

</div></div>

You're right, but I don't think I've been the guy that has ever subscribed to what has been considered conventional wisdom..
wink.gif

Mike,

Do you generally have those keep a supply of the Manners MCS-T4A in your shop? Since I went with a marble finish on my McM A5 that I'm waiting on, it's my understanding that we wont be able to use it and retain the finish. I'm thinking of going with the Manners instead for my build but I dont want to extend this any longer than necessary.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: swage</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mike,

Do you generally have those keep a supply of the Manners MCS-T4A in your shop? Since I went with a marble finish on my McM A5 that I'm waiting on, it's my understanding that we wont be able to use it and retain the finish. I'm thinking of going with the Manners instead for my build but I dont want to extend this any longer than necessary. </div></div>

I had a few extras but they were absorbed by a PO for PERSEUS builds. I'll check delivery for you and be in touch later today.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: swage</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mike,

Do you generally have those keep a supply of the Manners MCS-T4A in your shop? Since I went with a marble finish on my McM A5 that I'm waiting on, it's my understanding that we wont be able to use it and retain the finish. I'm thinking of going with the Manners instead for my build but I dont want to extend this any longer than necessary. </div></div>

Gary,
I had a great conversation with Manners today....Call me....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skunkworks</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: swage</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mike,

Gary,
I had a great conversation with Manners today....Call me.... </div></div>

Mike,

I'll give you a call tomorrow morning. Thanks for making that call.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: swage</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skunkworks</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: swage</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mike,

Gary,
I had a great conversation with Manners today....Call me.... </div></div>

Mike,

I'll give you a call tomorrow morning. Thanks for making that call.

</div></div>

No problem....