• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

18" SPR Barrel Choice

poptart4YALL

Private
Minuteman
Oct 8, 2012
Just wondering if you guys had any suggestions on barrel choices for a 18" rifle length gas barrel. Price isn't to much of a concern. Trying to find some actual support for one barrel over another.
Been looking at WOA for a while but I wanted to see what you guys had to say about a few other options like Lilja, Noveske, the Rainier Arms Ultramatch (shilen blank), Fulton/Criterion, also heard good things about Lothar-Walther and of course Krieger but neither of them other the length I want.

WOA uses Wilson blanks, if that matters. And I used to shoot a 20" WOA and was getting about 1/2 MOA pretty consistently at 100yrds. I guess I'm just not sure if I should stick to what I know or try for something hopefully better.

I had a Noveske and it was AWESOME... youre going to pay for it though. I think mine was $560 for the barrel and gas block. Flawless fit and sub MOA without any effort.

Bergara isn't too bad for one of the cheaper SPR barrels available. I've been pretty impressed by mine so far. It typically shoots around 1/2 to 3/4 moa. What I like most about it is that it holds accuracy extremely well as it heats up. Even after long strings of fire without cool down, it still holds zero without any discernable shift.

Frank White (CLE) is an excellent choice if you are interested in quality

Yes, I'm half temped to call him up and see what he can do for me, he works with Krieger and Douglas barrel. If there is any chance of getting what I want with a Krieger I'll be doing that.

Frank White actually does barrels for WOA, thus allowing John Holliger focus on WOP.

You and the other posters covered some good ones. Just for discussion,
-when I checked with Brux about a similar barrel, I was surprised by the quoted turn around and reasonable price (this was before the craziness though).
-A Douglas from Centurion Arms or High Caliber Sales should also be top notch. Superior Barrels also uses Douglas that is nitrided, but has a different chamber than the CA or HCS.
-Finally, the BCM SS barrels (Criterion) also get good reviews.

I think any of the options listed in the thread would be very good, likely close to 1/2 MOA with the right ammo and shooter. Best value has to go to WOA with no accuracy compromises.

Yes, I'm half temped to call him up and see what he can do for me, he works with Krieger and Douglas barrel. If there is any chance of getting what I want with a Krieger I'll be doing that.

Frank White actually does barrels for WOA, thus allowing John Holliger focus on WOP.

Frank told me he's not doing custom 1 off barrels. He may use a different blank and run it in the same profile as the DCM barrels he makes. He does 50 at a time for me in 6mmAR and 6mmBR.

I've got a wilson combat barrel. 1:7 18" SPR, it shoots 1/2"-3/4" MOA pretty consistently with 75gr BTHP's, want to try some 68 or 69 grainers, and that's 1/2 MOA with me driving. I think it was $250 or so.

Just got my Noveske in from Rainier last week. Love it. But all the manufacturers you mentioned are top quality. Also give Kevin at High Caliber Sales a call. He sells the barrels that they use in the "real" Mk12 SPR's.

Last edited:
I have a 18" 1:8 rifle length 5.56 Black Hole Weaponry barrel...been very pleased with it and its reasonably priced.

There's probably "better", but the value seems to be quite high.

+1 for Noveske. I bought one used for $300 before the craze, and it shoots a solid sub-moa every time. If I do my part, half with the right load.

Got a Walther Lother Barrel with Match BCG for my MK12 SPR"ish" Build in 1 in 8 Twist with .223 Wylde Chambering and it is a aboslute laser with just about anything I feed it. Though mine is a 20" not 18".

I believe Larue Tactical also uses Walther Lother Barrels for the Infamous OBR Rifles if that means anything. I know for a fact that those rifles shoots lights out!

Got a Walther Lother Barrel with Match BCG for my MK12 SPR"ish" Build

Same here...

temporary_zpse33ae379.jpg

Yeah, it's an RMR angled to at least keep some sense of a cheekweld. I normally prefer a backup RDS mounted on top, but this HDMR/OBR combo doesn't work so well for that. The turrets of the scope are just too tall.

As for the Lothar-Walther barrel, not only does it shoot well, it shoots well even when its dirty. I normally clean the bolt after every match (anywhere from 80-220 rounds), but I have yet to clean the barrel after 800+ rounds and it's still holding nice groups.

Last edited:
I have a 18" stainless 1:8 barrel from BCM that does good things with 75 gr BTHP. BCM hasn't raised their prices at all but finding one in on their webstie may pose a challenge.

Last edited:
Just ordered a White Oak Armament. Can't wait to see how it shoots.

I have three AR's and all have WOA barrels. They are great barrels. I've heard good things about all the barrels you mentioned too.

Black Hole must be "embarrassed" by who makes their Blanks. Can't find any info concerning that.

I think I'm pretty set on going WOA.

Noveske doesn't really appeal to me simply because of the intermediate gas tube length. I'd rather not have to limit my options with proprietary parts. Plus the I don't really see the benefits of a intermediate over rifle length, but that's a whole other subject.

I agree with mjh30.. call Compass Lake and order one up. I ordered mine March 4 and received it in UPS yesterday... now I have to find a Knights Armament block to mount the rail.

I run a criterion on my 6.5 creedmoor ar-10 and I have been very happy with it!

I have been looking at buildling an 18" barreled SPR at some point I did look at the Legion barrels but honestly only because their hex fluting is sexy I have no experince with how they shoot.

Had Noveske and WOA barrled MK12's. The origionals has CLE barrels, which were kinda of hard to get at the time.

Don't waste your money on the Noveske. Maybe waste is a bad word, but it shot about the same (1/2-3/4") as the WOA at more than twice the price.

The WOA is one of the best barrels for the money. Guys win highpower matches with their barrels and they are very well known.

Get the WOA.

And since this is now a pic thread. Here is the first SPR I build using a noveske back around 2005

God I fucking miss that rifle. Best shooting 5.56 I have ever owned. Way too much money into it, but that rifle and optic combo was MOOOOOONNNNNEEEEEYYY. Should have never sold it.

DSCN0980.jpg

Last edited:
Black Hole must be "embarrassed" by who makes their Blanks. Can't find any info concerning that.

I think I'm pretty set on going WOA.

Noveske doesn't really appeal to me simply because of the intermediate gas tube length. I'd rather not have to limit my options with proprietary parts. Plus the I don't really see the benefits of a intermediate over rifle length, but that's a whole other subject.

I'm pretty sure Black Hole does their own rifling in house. Black Hole barrels are also sold under a few other brand names as well. The Rainier Select grade barrels and Parallax Tactical PXT barrels are made by BHW. Addax tactical also sells barrels made by BHW. I've run BHW barrels on a few rifles. One thing I have noticed is that the crowns that BHW puts on the barrels are sometimes not all that great. Rather than a target style crown, theirs is more of a rolled crown like you find on older military rifles. Some of mine have shot extremely well, while others have been 1.5 moa at best (Still not bad, but IMHO not good enough for an SPR)

For under $300, I think WOA and Bergara are probably the best options available. Like the WOA barrels, the Bergara (the one on my rifle at least) is easily sub moa capable. It runs well when hot, and doesn't seem to foul up even after several hundred rounds without much of a break. And since this turned into a picture thread:

8622672045_7213339f8a_c.jpg

I'm pretty sure Black Hole does their own rifling in house. Black Hole barrels are also sold under a few other brand names as well. The Rainier Select grade barrels and Parallax Tactical PXT barrels are made by BHW. Addax tactical also sells barrels made by BHW. I've run BHW barrels on a few rifles. One thing I have noticed is that the crowns that BHW puts on the barrels are sometimes not all that great. Rather than a target style crown, theirs is more of a rolled crown like you find on older military rifles. Some of mine have shot extremely well, while others have been 1.5 moa at best (Still not bad, but IMHO not good enough for an SPR)

For under $300, I think WOA and Bergara are probably the best options available. Like the WOA barrels, the Bergara (the one on my rifle at least) is easily sub moa capable. It runs well when hot, and doesn't seem to foul up even after several hundred rounds without much of a break. And since this turned into a picture thread:

8622672045_7213339f8a_c.jpg

You have a build list for that? Interesting Break, Rail and grip I've never seen

Just to let everyone know I call WOA today and order the barrel. They quoted me 6-7 months. Good thing I got a whole before I'll be home. I swear it's going to be like X-mas when I get there. I've ordered well over 2k worth of gun parts and still have more to go lol.

You have a build list for that? Interesting Break, Rail and grip I've never seen

The brake is actually a ported stainless shroud that covers a standard Ops Inc 12th brake. Being in CA, the actual 12th can is not an option, but I did want something to mitigate the amount of dust kicked up by the brake. The shroud redirects the muzzle blast to keep it from hitting the ground as much. It does seem to increase the accuracy as well, either through improved barrel harmonics or having the last few inches of barrel under tension from the 2 point mount. Either way, I did notice a decrease of about 1/4 moa in average group size when running the shroud.

The forend and rail are made by Precision reflex, just like the original components on the MK 12 Mod 0. Instead of the round Gen III rail though, I went with the Gen III Delta version which has a more triangular cross section. The Delta forend also requires a proprietary top rail that is slightly different than the PEQ rail on the Mod 0. The flat underside of the forend tends to be more stable than the round version when shooting from a pack or sandbags. I also installed a Noveske flush mount QD socket on the underside near the barrel nut to allow the sling to be repositioned there for better stability in unsupported positions. The pistol grip is the same Sierra Precision grip used for the Mod 0.

I couldn't be happier with my WOA 18" SPR bbl

I've got a WOA SPR barreled rig and a Noveske-barreled rig. The accuracy is close enough I can tell the difference. I'd buy again in a heartbeat from either of those companies.

I used a $159 (on sale from MidwayUSA) 18" DPMS 1:8 MK12 barrel, could not be happier for the money spent.

Attached target, 3 shot group, 100 yds, 55gr FMJ.

Equally impressive at 300 yds and out to 600 with 77 gr SMK over 23.3 grs of IMR 8208 XBR.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    27.5 KB · Views: 23
Just to let everyone know I call WOA today and order the barrel. They quoted me 6-7 months. Good thing I got a whole before I'll be home. I swear it's going to be like X-mas when I get there. I've ordered well over 2k worth of gun parts and still have more to go lol.

I had the barrel watch listed at Brownell's when I ordered and it was back in a week or two.
After dimpling and coating

I have an 18" BCM IonBond coated barrel on my AR and it shoots 1/2 MOA consistently. I absolutely love it.

Just wondering if you guys had any suggestions on barrel choices for a 18" rifle length gas barrel. Price isn't to much of a concern. ...

... of course Krieger but neither of them other the length I want.

There's always the option of buying an off-the-shelf service rifle match barrel (20" HBAR with rifle gas and .750" gas block seat), then having it cut and threaded to 18" if that's your preference. Cut-rifled brands like Krieger and Satern offer such models, as does Shilen (button-rifled). I think all three brands mentioned are listed on Midway's site, but not sure about current stock status. Fulton Armory had some Kriegers in stock last time I checked. Adco can cut, crown, and thread with reasonably quick turnaround. Overall, not the cheapest route, but might be preferable to get top-quality in a short amount of time versus waiting months for an ordered barrel.

Last edited:
I used a $159 (on sale from MidwayUSA) 18" DPMS 1:8 MK12 barrel, could not be happier for the money spent.

Attached target, 3 shot group, 100 yds, 55gr FMJ.

Equally impressive at 300 yds and out to 600 with 77 gr SMK over 23.3 grs of IMR 8208 XBR.

ER Shaw rep the other day told me they do AR barrels for DPMS.

My Rainier Ultramatch is absolutely spectacular. I had them do it in SPR profile with rifle length gas.

My SPR has a Noveske 20 inch barrel. The Noveske is by far the most accurate I have used. You get what you pay for in the long run.

I have the 18" Noveske SPR w/SwitchBlock mated to a matched Noveske upper/lower, CMC trigger, and MagPul PSR stock. Best shooting AR I have ever owned.

I hear you on this. I ordered a complete upper from WOA in December and I'm still waiting.

The Mil-Spec barrel is a Douglas. They aren't a big name on the hide, but they must be doing something right as I never saw a single complaint about the barrel on the SPR.

On a side note, does anybody have the drawing for the SPR barrel contour and gas port diameter?