• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

18" SPR Barrel Choice

The Mil-Spec barrel is a Douglas. They aren't a big name on the hide, but they must be doing something right as I never saw a single complaint about the barrel on the SPR.

On a side note, does anybody have the drawing for the SPR barrel contour and gas port diameter?

No idea on the mil-spec profile but the ones you will see on the market are by and large 20" HBAR barrels that have been shortened 2". Gas port .105-.110.

Kreiger sells a 20" heavy barrel that you can have cut down to 18". I had one done probably five years ago and it was around $600 for barrel and everything if I remember right. Most of the best groups I have ever shot were done with that barrel.

It was a stellar barrel that I eventually sold when I went to a 16" SS barrel I bought from BCM.

My gun wears an SPR barrel from Denny's Guns/Global Tactical (I think they are still around, were much more popular a few years ago). It's from a Douglas blank. At 100 yards it is 1/2 MOA with 75 gr. AMAX handloads, expect it would be about the same with Hornady 75 gr BTHP which will feed from the mag. Larue billet upper and Y/M NM bolt carrier round out the upper. Couldn't ask for more from an AR barrel

Saw this thread and thought I would revive it. What's the current status on barrel choice for an SPR? Or these recommendations still good? Are these companies still making a good barrel....

I bought a Rainer UltraMatch based off if the reviews in this tread. I couldn't be happier. 18" with a Rifle length gas system

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got a WOA 18" SPR from Adco in. Strapped it together and it shoots 1-1.25" with TAP 75 gr. 25.1gr of Varget and a Hornady 75 gr handload shot just under an inch. Those were all five shot groups. Something tells me I can squeeze a little more out of it with developed hand loads and better glass. Sure beats those 4 piece of shit Kriegers we were sent.

I also have an Ultra match SPR rifle gas 18" and a saturn cut rifled 18" SPR coming. Hopefully one of those will be a shooter also.

Last edited:
Just replaced my old woa spr barrel, got a cmmg 18" 416r 1/7 because it has a medium contour. Its pretty light. Thought id give ut a try for $200.

AR Performance 18" fluted SPR 3gun barrel, 4150 CMV, Wylde chamber, 5R rifling, Melonite inside & out, rifle length gas. 5/8 x 24 muzzle thread. Same velocities, and just as accurate as my RRA NM barrel, recoils like a pellet rifle.

All of my Kriegers have shot lights out. 3 dcm ar barrels, 1 m110 308 barrel, 1 m1a barrel; better than 1 moa easy.

Our custom profile Noveske 18" with rifle length gas system and 1x8 three groove rifling are superlative.

We changed a few things from the original SPR contour.

1. Ours has a CNC contour vice the simple straight line lathe contouring of the original. Ours weighs in 1/2 ounce more but is I truly believe much stiffer.

2. Our gas block seat is 1.000" vice the 2.000" of the original.

3. The change in gas block seat length allows us to push the barrel collar shoulder back 0.250", allowing three more full turns of thread engagement of the Mk 12 suppressor on the Ops-Inc brake.

Now, if Noveske would only fill my orders for them ….

Our custom profile Noveske 18" with rifle length gas system and 1x8 three groove rifling are superlative.

We changed a few things from the original SPR contour.

1. Ours has a CNC contour vice the simple straight line lathe contouring of the original. Ours weighs in 1/2 ounce more but is I truly believe much stiffer.

2. Our gas block seat is 1.000" vice the 2.000" of the original.

3. The change in gas block seat length allows us to push the barrel collar shoulder back 0.250", allowing three more full turns of thread engagement of the Mk 12 suppressor on the Ops-Inc brake.

Now, if Noveske would only fill my orders for them ….

Any on hand? How much?