• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

185 gr. Berger Juggernaut and Hybrid Target bullets. Cannot find load data on 185 gr. bullets

Roy Allain

Private
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2020
I need help with the 185 gr. data for the two bullets in the title. These will be used at 600 and 1000 yards.

Right now I have loaded a bunch of brass with 43.5 grs. of VarGet. However I think I will need more powder, maybe.
I have many loads for 180 gr. & 190 gr bullets but none for the 185 gr.

Also, I need data for RE-15, Tac & Varget powders.

I have taken data from the 180 & 190 gr bullets and split the differences, and it comes up to 43.5 grs Varget more or less, and the others are close.
But it is my go to load for the 168 gr. SMK and it's freaking me out.

Any suggestions? PLEASE!

Many thanks, Roy Allain

If you give Berger a call, they will typically provide load data over the phone.

If you give Berger a call, they will typically provide load data over the phone.
Thanks Jolliec. I just got off the phone with Cory of Berger. We agreed with what I have done load wise. The two loads I have found are in my Sierra manual for the 180 gr and 190 gr bullets. I used the data for those bullets and Tac, RE-15 and Varget, then I saw the Hodgdon manual and saw their loads were 4 to 5 grs higher. So I decided to use 43.5 grs of Var
get. I haven't yet shot the rifle due to weather but next week looks good.

The rifle is an Aero Precision AR10 .308 cal. to put all this in perspective.

Again, thanks for your reply.

Roy Allain

What brass are you using? Cuz you can’t use Hodgdon’s data in heavy brass else you’ll have pressure problems.

What brass are you using? Cuz you can’t use Hodgdon’s data in heavy brass else you’ll have pressure problems.
Thank you for your reply 918v. I am using New .308 Starline Brass. By heavy brass do you mean military brass. It is not.
Roy Allain

I've got up to 44.8 grains of varget with 185 hybrids in lapua Palma brass, with no pressure. 44.5 grains with the juggernauts, no pressure. Seated to run out of a mag. In ran the 44.5 with juggernaut for 1000 rounds no issues. Just switched to the hybrids because I got a good deal on 1300 pieces. Even though I got up 44.8 with the hybrids they seem to shoot well at 43.8 grains of varget on initial test at 880 yards .going to shoot some more on Tuesday I'll report back info . Both bullets were seated 15 -20 thousandths off

Ctbo 2.226
Accumag no binder plate
Feed ramp is no otch on Remington 700
Never measured coal, it fit in the mag and feeds fine

Starline is just as heavy as military brass.
After thinking about it some more over the weekend, I feel that 43.5 grs of Varget is not a overly high load. (I weight each powder with a scale as I reload so there will not be any excursions of pressure. Incidentally, where in the brass is it heavier? The base would be my guess. Or is if further up the case?

It doesn’t matter. Brass displaces chamber volume. That’s what matters. More brass equals less room in the chamber equals more pressure.

Normally people work up a load. They start low, checking for pressure signs as they gradually increase the powder charge. You, on the other hand, just took a change and went with it.

Post pics after you’re done.

It doesn’t matter. Brass displaces chamber volume. That’s what matters. More brass equals less room in the chamber equals more pressure.

Normally people work up a load. They start low, checking for pressure signs as they gradually increase the powder charge. You, on the other hand, just took a change and went with it.

Post pics after you’re done.
I have been shooting 43.5 grs. of Varget and also 44.2 grs.; shooting 168 gr. SMK, various Berger bullets and have never had a problem. The 185 gr Bergers with 43.5 should tell me something as soon as I can inspect the brass after shooting the rifle. The rifle is a AR10 .308 Aero Precision.

Last edited:
You'll find a node somewhere in 43.5-44.5 of Varget

Also work up to 46.0 of 2000MR

Pardon my ignorance but what is 2000MR?

Do you live on the West Bank of the Mississippi from New Orleans? If so, we are neighbors. I live in Harvey

Roy Allain