• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

185 Scenar help

BradfromND

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 6, 2010
Fargo, ND
Just wondering if anyone here has an advise with these bullets. I shot at 600 yds tonight and had pretty lackluster results. I'm shooting them in my T/R rifle with a 168 freebore and tight neck. I shot 43.2, 43.6 and 44 gr of Varget over neck turned Lapua brass with BR-2 primers. 43.2 gr showed some potential but 43.6 had 7 inches of vertical and 44 had 14 inches, all 10 shot groups.*

How far off the lands do these things like to sit? All rounds tonight we're loaded .003 into the lands. I'm not a big fan of jamming bullets hard.*

Thanks

Last edited:
I think you'll fare better with 0.040" or more jump with 185 Scenar.

Don't jam em. No need to because it's designed to jump. Oh, once you run out if the scenars, hit the 185 Berger OTM or juggernaut. They're the exact same bullet. HELL OF ALOT BETTER BC

I have been shooting 185 hybrids (even better bc) but have had some inconsistencies at distance. I knew these were supposed to be very consistent so I wanted to try them. By design the scenar looks like it wants to jump but I generally try new loads right at the lands in case that's where they want to sit, but it can also cause a pressure spike. I usually start them there to find my powder charge and then play with seating depth.

Thanks for the reply. I think I'm going to try them again tomorrow at .020, 0.40, and .060 off the lands and see how they do.

I haven't shot the 185 Scenars but do shoot a lot of juggernauts and .010-.020 jump is the sweet spot. I would think the Scenars would perform decent at that distance to the lands in most guns but testing is the only way to know in your gun. I tested the 155 Scenars at .015 jump and they shot very well also.