• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

F T/R Competition 185s HARD on Brass

Re: 185s HARD on Brass

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: asbestosglove</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You guys talking about how well your RL powders do to usftr is like telling Lance Armstrong how well your Schwinn rides. </div></div>

I can't help it, that is effin funny!

No feelings were hurt, I'm just tired of the attitude on this forum. I stated my observations from the many shooters I have mentored and my friends that shoot .308Win in FTR. I did not say my observations on RL powders are irrefutable fact. Your observations obviously have been different and that's fine.

If you guys don't want my opinion on FTR shooting and think you know more, then I will not burden you with my trivial opinion.

Don't let him run you off. I always look forward to reading your posts. We are lucky to have someone with your experience and skill level that is willing to share.

Jeff, relax no need to take your ball and go home. The net has many issues related to poor written skills and the fact you dont get to see a mans face or hear his tone when he says something.

I dont think anyone meant to offend you. I know I did not mean to offend anyone. I doubt you meant to offend either

Its a fine line between helping and preaching. I keep screwing up what side of that line which I find myself fng up with all the time

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shoot4fun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bullets do not waist (sic) your brass until you combine them with TOO MUCH powder.
If PP are too loose after only one or two firings then you have too much pressure. Something has to give. Thank goodness it is only the PP so far.
</div></div>

I stand by my original post, RL argument aside, that the OP (by getting only one or two loadings on Lapua brass) is in dangerous territory and should rethink his load.
As for F Class, I have shot the game but no longer have a match closer than Oak Ridge (Three hours or so).
usftr:
please do not leave this forum because of me. My comments were not directed at you personally. I know you wouldn't leave a match because someone didn't agree with you.

I don't know about the rest of you "Nancys", but I am happy to take advice and take away information from others. I was very frustrated with my situation and after hearing from XTR, USFTR, and others on this thread I was in much better shape ,..felt much better…had an action plan to hopefully resolve my problem,..and I was grateful to receive the input.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: usftr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
If you guys don't want my opinion on FTR shooting and think you know more, then I will not burden you with my trivial opinion. </div></div>

Jeff,
Many here consider themselves extremely fortunate to hear your views regarding F-Class shooting. I am one, and I sincerely hope that a difference of opinion doesn't make you reluctant to continue sharing your considerable experience and expertise here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shoot4fun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Not correct. I use RL15 in 223 with heavies also. It has been my "Go To" powder for 223 AI. I also use RL22 above anything else in my 7WSM with great results. Oh, an did I mention it is my ONLY powder for the 6.5 Creedmoor.
BTW, I have seen Varget lose at least 1 full MOA when the temp dropped below 50 degrees on many occasions.
</div></div>

I've done some pretty extensive testing with Berger 230's in my .308. In the course of this testing (that included RL-17, along with 6 other powders), I was actually plotting velocity vs charge weight over two days of testing. For grins, I decided to duplicate a couple of loads. The ambient temperatures were ~93° on the first day of testing, and closer to 99° on the second day. The velocity vs. charge wt. curves for RL-17 had *very* similar curves for both days, but were offset by ~25 fps due to the difference in ambient temp.

My conclusion is that you can get excellent velocity out of the RL powders, but the temperature sensitivity will make it an uncertain choice indeed for competition, especially where temperatures will vary greatly over the course of the day.

Hope this helps,

Darrell

Only a 6 degree difference and you saw a 25 fps difference?! Wow.

A little off topic here, but with a "heavy hybrid bullet" yesterday, I noticed that pointed vs unpointed there was an 11" difference in point of impact at 962 yards. I didn't see that with with the Berger 185BT.

You can not class all RL powders in same class because of RL17 or RL15.

I use RL22 for 300WM heavies and have great results. I use RL22 and RL25 for 338 Lapua and have great results.

The 375 and 408 Chey Tac has been loaded with RL25 for years with great results.

Everything depends on caliber and use

Jeff on pointing. Man it all seems to be bullet to bullet. It works well on my 155 Scenars but does little on my 185 Scenars. I see no to little difference on the 185 BT Bergers as well.

I agree. I use RL 25 or N170 for my .30-.378Wby Mag and both gave acceptable results. Barrel is pencil thin and 26" so groups are not all that good as the barrel shifts as it warms really fast. But this thread is really about .308Win so my comments are ONLY with data from RL15 and RL17. I have no real competiton data for any other RL powder.

The only thing pointing does on my 185BT is make the extreme vertical tighter by maybe 1-1.5" on average. Point of impact didn't change. However, I still point my 185's! If nothing else, it makes me happy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: usftr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Only a 6 degree difference and you saw a 25 fps difference?! Wow.
</div></div>

Yeah, it seemed wild to me too. Looking back on the graph, it looks like I got my days backwards, the first day was the warmer one. Obviously I was not testing temperature sensitivity here, if I was, I'd have kept the charge weights level, and plotted vs. temperature... but for what it's worth, the attached plot:

215%2520Berger%2520plot.jpg

Man the more I do and experiment the less I know.

The RL17 has been a problem for consistency in everything I tried it in.

RL22 has been great and some calibers and suck in others.

The N540 is showing lots of promise but this is first year I have used much of it We will see how it does at Nationals before I decide if its a go to for me in Worlds next year. Right now no complaints. Pointed 155 Scenars are doing better and better

I think the N550 would do better with 190-200s

It all takes lots and lots of time on range to see how well they all really do.