• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

1885 High Wall Conversion/Rechamber

Son of Dorn

Castellan
Minuteman
Jul 27, 2019
Hi y'all. This is sorta a follow-up to another thread re: a Martini-Henry rechamber. I don't think that'll work, so does anyone know if an (Italian) 1885 High Wall can be safely converted from .45-70 to .450 Nitro Express?

Thanks,
Son of Dorn

If you mean a Pedersoli... you might as well just put a grenade in your mouth and pull the pin. I doubt an original could take a big nitro. Those were made for low velocity pumpkin slingers based on 45/70s. Even the big 50-100 guns were just big low pressure pushers not high pressure nitro rounds.

You might look at a Ballard? But they are getting spendy . And I am not sure could handle pressure either.

Buffalo winter has done a lot of smithing on these guns... maybe he will have something better for you than I do!

Sirhr

Well an Uberti but it's the same thing as the Pedersoli, just has a different name on it. I've seen someone with a Pedersoli Sharps that he rechambered for the nitro, but if I was going to do that, it'd be with a C Sharps or a Shiloh, and not a '74 model either. C Sharps makes a Remington Hepburn that maaaybe could work, ditto with another company I looked at last night.

Other than that, well, there's a Farquahrson but those are rare as hen's teeth and just as expensive. I might as well buy a double rifle in the nitro from Pedersoli. Ruger, I know the No. 1s can be rechambered without much issue, I've seen them done, but as outwardly similar the Farquahrsons as they are, I'm not sold on one 'cause it's not quite the same as having a vintage or direct copy rifle.

As for the Ballard, I don't think that'd work, either and I'd be hesitant to try it with an original anyway.

I'd certainly welcome any input from @buffalowinter , though, even if it's just to rule options out! Only real interest I have for a single-shot Nitro is to have something fun against certain very big, very grumpy sub-Saharan bovines in the event that a 9.3 Mauser boltgun is a no-go.

Thanks,
Son of Dorn

I am amazed that someone rechambered a sharps in a nitro.

I may be wrong, but it’s not just a metallurgy issue... it’s an action geometry issue. Those guns just don’t have the design for a massive pressure cartridge. Again, I may be wrong... maybe a beefy new barrel makes it all ok,

The Martini action was for a cordite cartridge, iirc, that used the same high pressure propellants as the later “nitro” or nitrocellulose guns. The American stuff was designed for black powder.

Again, I may be remembering entirely wrong here. But beware with conversions to powerful cartridges. BP frames and the like we’re not meant for smokeless pressures.

Cheers, Sirhr

I have no idea what the guy was using for loads, but I saw his posts on the CastBoolits forum (not a member there so couldn't ask). But unless I knew 100% for an absolute fact that any of the above rifles could take a full-load NE multiple times and not explode? Nah, I don't think the High-Wall will work after talking to Buffalowinter, and the other actions I thought about, I can just send emails around and ask. I'm not sure about the Martini Henry, either; there are modern-made ones for modern shells but I'd still be hesitant to try.

Now, I could probably use a Black Powder Express in any of the antiquated American actions, but according to several laws, the BPE doesn't meet the energy requirements for taking dangerous game (i.e., cape buffalo). My best bet, for a Nitro Express, would be either the off-the-shelf Pedersoli Kodiak double, a Ruger #1, or (for the low low price of $18K!) a Soroka falling-block. Unless I could find an original Farquharson online that wouldn't break the bank. As a matter of fact there's one on Gunbroker now for $8700, but I don't have the $$ for that right now and this was just an idea knocking around in my brain. Other stuff is ahead of it in line.

Not to worry. I'm sure I'll either figure something out or find a good compromise when I get around to it!

Son of Dorn

I’ll offer a few comments here.

First, I do not know if the Italian copies are as well built or as strong as the Winchester’s. I can’t say if the conversion is a good idea on these or not.

Second, the Winchester Single Shot, high wall variety, is a very strong action. Winchester chambered these rifles in 30-06, 303 (Savage and British), 7mm Mauser and 405WCF so it was more than a black powder era relic. These actions were even used for pressure testing ammunition (smokeless) at DuPont and Winchester for many years.

Why not find a C Sharps action or rifle for your project? They are good quality, I used one of their thick side actions for a 405WCF project a number of years ago.

First, I do not know if the Italian copies are as well built or as strong as the Winchester’s. I can’t say if the conversion is a good idea on these or not.

Second, the Winchester Single Shot, high wall variety, is a very strong action. Winchester chambered these rifles in 30-06, 303 (Savage and British), 7mm Mauser and 405WCF so it was more than a black powder era relic. These actions were even used for pressure testing ammunition (smokeless) at DuPont and Winchester for many years.

Why not find a C Sharps action or rifle for your project? They are good quality, I used one of their thick side actions for a 405WCF project a number of years ago.
I was leaning towards the High Wall since I liked the way the walls protected the hammer and made it look a bit more streamlined, and because they were still in production until 1918, they were capable of smokeless cartridges and might've been more ideal than a long-out-of-production Sharps rifle for a turn-of-the-century shooter's big-bore rifle.

That said, a C Sharps action was one I've looked at, if the Sharps is capable of handling Nitro Express pressures to begin with. I'm not sure of the pressure difference between a .450 and your 405WCF. I actually have one of their catalogues somewhere, if my cousin didn't steal it. They make a High Wall action as well. C Sharps also makes a Remington-Hepburn action; the R-H was made in a modified version in 1893 that allowed for smokeless cartridges and if the C Sharps one is capable of a Nitro Express, I'll give it some good, hard consideration!

The C Sharps High Wall action is the one I was referring to. The Nitro Express cartridges are moderate intensity as they were designed for double rifles. The 405WCF is a higher pressure round, the SAAMI data comparison with the Max Ave Pressure is 46ksi for the 405 to 41ksi for the 470NE. The 470 is the only NE cartridge I saw listed.

Ah cool. Wikipedia (oh-so-reliable) says the .450NE max pressure is 44,237 psi. So unless I'm wrong, and I may well be, that suggests the .450 would be within pressure tolerances, yes?

It sounds like a reasonable number. I was drawing from the SAAMI dataset which is only one out there. I think that a quality high wall action (materials and workmanship) would have no problems with the 450NE. You can always ask the C Sharps people on their thoughts if you are thinking of using their action.

Oh absolutely I'll ask first, I'm not about to sink any kind of money now or down the line without making sure! Hell I'll even ask if they could do me up a complete rifle, although I expect they'd say no since it'd be an unusual chambering. Ditto with asking about their Remington-Hepburn.

It sounds like a reasonable number. I was drawing from the SAAMI dataset which is only one out there. I think that a quality high wall action (materials and workmanship) would have no problems with the 450NE. You can always ask the C Sharps people on their thoughts if you are thinking of using their action.
Email to C Sharps asking if the High Wall and/or R-H actions could handle a .450 or .470NE came back with "High wall in 450 probably work just fine". So I guess that's a plan!

Nice. I dug up photos of the one I had built in 405WCF. The work was done by Allan Mack of Mack Brothers.

Attachments

• AM High Wall 1.jpg
    AM High Wall 1.jpg
    479.4 KB · Views: 93
  • AM High Wall 2.jpg
    AM High Wall 2.jpg
    483.5 KB · Views: 104
As an update to this. An email to C Sharps did say they're of the opinion that the 1885 action will hold, and a second one said that they could build one for me should I want to go through with it. The math seems to be in support of the concept even if actual practice is not. So at least I have some idea that it might work, or else I don't think they'd have said they could build one. But I'm not 100% sure about doing it, so I'm putting a pin in the idea for the time being.

The 1885 Winchesters by Miroku and/or the B-78 Brownings might be a good candidate. They both have been chambered in 60K plus cartridges. I don't know whether they are dimensionally adequate. If it will fit, consider the .450 No2 NE.

This site has a wealth of information http://forums.nitroexpress.com/show...in=241279&Words=+Grenadier&topic=&Search=true
Hi Quarter Horse. This has actually turned from a conversion to a up-from-scratch build using a C Sharps or MVA action now. Converting would present a problem with the rim thicknesses that I'm not sure could be rectified, and if C Sharps can do me a full rifle, it may not be much difference in cost anyway.

I know this is an old thread, but I just thought if anybody is looking for info on what has been discussed here, I might be a little help. I have built five guns based on C. Sharps action's, I would not try this with imports or any investment casting American actions because the C. Sharps actions are made from a solid chunk of heat treated 8620 chrome moly steel, they are VERY strong and can handle just about any of the big British elephant cartridges and more. The calibers I built on were 338/348 Improved, 26 Krag Improved, 338 Lapua, 500/416 Nitro Express and a 416 Chey-Tac, the Chey-Tac being the largest and most powerful of the bunch. I've shot hundreds of rounds thru these guns with no harm to the actions. Another tidbit, the Sharps extractor CAN be made to work with a rimless cartridge, but you have to be careful when loading the round in, but they eject just fine.

^^^ a .338 Lapua sharps? A Chey Tac Sharps?

Now that is cool!

Do tell more! Pictures?

Sirhr
I took the 416 CT (408 necked up to 416) out of service for a while because it was just getting too expensive to shoot anymore, I re-barreled it to the 26 Krag and it's still a work in progress. I've had the 338 Lap for about seven years now and shoot it often, although it too is getting a bit expensive to shoot. My 500/416 Nitro Express was going to be mostly a black powder/ cast lead project but after initial range testing, it shows promise to be a really good jacketed and cast bullet shooter, will do more testing this summer for it. I also have a BAT action bench gun that I chambered three barrels for, in 26 Nosler, 416 CT and 51-Short Gibbs (my own designed wildcat). I like building stuff you can't buy over the counter. My creations are not for any kind of competition but just for fun mostly. I do like to varmint hunt, and living in Idaho, it gives me plenty of long-range shooting practice. You should see the looks on kids' faces when I drag out a 40 pound "varmint" rifle!! LOL!
I'll try and remember to put some pictures together.

Reactions: Modoc and lash
Haha this thread is pretty old now for sure but it's alright, no worries.

I abandoned this project idea a long time ago in favor of going in a different direction. Recently I've leaned towards a Remington Rolling-Block and I actually found one that seems to have been redone for .450 Black Powder Express, which is basically a British .45-120 Sharps. More or less. I'm tempted to spend part of my next paycheck on it...

Reactions: sirhrmechanic

I abandoned this project idea a long time ago in favor of going in a different direction. Recently I've leaned towards a Remington Rolling-Block and I actually found one that seems to have been redone for .450 Black Powder Express, which is basically a British .45-120 Sharps. More or less. I'm tempted to spend part of my next paycheck on it...

Do it!! That sounds like a very worthy conversion

So it’s synchronicity that this thread popped back up. A sign to buy that rifle.

Sirhr

As a matter of fact, I just got handed a Rolling Block project by a good friend of mine. He wants me to see if a 50-90 Sharps will work in it, if so, to continue. I remember some years ago an article I read about a similar project done by some guys that worked at RCBS, they were attemping to chamber either a 45-120 or a 50-140 and found that the cartridge was too long so they cut the case down to 2 7/8" before it would fit, the problem, they found was getting the longer case to clear over the hammer and block. I came up with a test for a problem like this some years back when the question of the idea might not work, was to machine up a short "mock-up" barrel out of a piece of aluminum or plastic (UHMW works very well) camber it and cut needed extractor clearance in it, this way I'm not risking a $500 dollar barrel against the possibility it might not work.
I will be doing this "test" with my friends action to confirm one way or the other.
PS: That RCBS article was in one of the gun magazines years ago, there is a possibility it's on the internet somewhere by now.

Do it!! That sounds like a very worthy conversion

So it’s synchronicity that this thread popped back up. A sign to buy that rifle.

Sirhr
Haha perhaps so! Think I'll actually see if the seller would be open to a trade for the Pedersoli trapdoor I have. If not a full swap, might at least lighten the load on my wallet a bit. The roller even comes with several rounds of smokeless-for-black ammo and reloading dies, so that's even more of a plus.

Then I'd just need to find out if the .450BPE is still legal for certain game in Zimbabwe, just in case I ever manage to get on that safari...

Haha perhaps so! Think I'll actually see if the seller would be open to a trade for the Pedersoli trapdoor I have. If not a full swap, might at least lighten the load on my wallet a bit. The roller even comes with several rounds of smokeless-for-black ammo and reloading dies, so that's even more of a plus.

Then I'd just need to find out if the .450BPE is still legal for certain game in Zimbabwe, just in case I ever manage to get on that safari...
My buddy & his wife (who has the Rem RB) has done 2 African hunts in the past 4 years, the last was for the "little lady" she got a Nyala with a 40-70 400g CL black powder round in a Sharps Borchardt. Your 450 BPE should be no problem. How about a Winchester 405 in a M-95? "Teddy" was enamored with this set-up.

Reactions: lash and Modoc
My buddy & his wife (who has the Rem RB) has done 2 African hunts in the past 4 years, the last was for the "little lady" she got a Nyala with a 40-70 400g CL black powder round in a Sharps Borchardt. Your 450 BPE should be no problem. How about a Winchester 405 in a M-95? "Teddy" was enamored with this set-up.
99% of game I'm interested in should be more than okay, between it and my Lee-Speed. The only one I question is, I believe, an eland. That may require some careful load-tweaking to get legally-sufficient energy.

Reactions: lash
99% of game I'm interested in should be more than okay, between it and my Lee-Speed. The only one I question is, I believe, an eland. That may require some careful load-tweaking to get legally-sufficient energy.
Or just have your guide get you close enough. Ross Seifried hunted these animals with a 500 Linebaugh 485g CLGC in a 5.5" Ruger Bisley, 1200 fps. I think he even took an elephant with this set-up.

Or just have your guide get you close enough. Ross Seifried hunted these animals with a 500 Linebaugh 485g CLGC in a 5.5" Ruger Bisley, 1200 fps. I think he even took an elephant with this set-up.
After checking, the BPE should come in right at the legal limit, but I would not expect a safari company to quibble too much over such a small difference in ft/lb when it's a hefty .458-calibre chunk of metal being sent downrange. It certainly surpasses the minimum calibre requirement.

At the very least it'd be a hella unique domestic gun for buffalo, bear, elk, what-have-you!

Reactions: jacklikesbigbores