• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Martini Henry rechamber (.450NE or similar)?

Son of Dorn

Castellan
Minuteman
Jul 27, 2019
This isn't strictly speaking a precision rifle-related question, just a vintage one. I've had a thought and wanted some feedback. Is it possible to rechamber a Martini-Henry rifle from 577-450 to something stronger, say .450 Nitro Express or another big-bore calibre? I've seen some folks who've done Sharps rifles from .45-70 to .450NE and I expect that with the larger-calibre Sharps one could try to do the same for the other NE rounds; maybe with a Winchester 1885 High-Wall too. But what about a Martini-Henry? Not saying I would or will do it, just wondering if it can be done (and safely function, at that).

Thank y'all,
Son of Dorn

I saw one once (May have been a commercial reproduction) chambered in 416 Rigby.
Hmm. Wouldn't be my first choice and I question how well a rimless cartridge would work, but it's some food for thought.

I don't have one, no. Wish I'd gotten a couple a few years back, but missed out. Just had the idea for it the other day and thought I'd toss it around.

Thanks but atm I'm tied up with some other projects I wanna work on first. And until I'm positive I can get what I want out of a Martini-Henry, I think I'd be better off setting it aside for later. But if I change my mind and you can still help me out, I'll let you know.

45-70 is about as long as you can go without modifying the breech block, or using a very sharply tapered cartridge - and given the stress is taken by the hinge pin rather than the receiver, I don't know how high I'd want the forces involved to get.
That said, I made a 45-70 up 35 years ago - new forend, express sights, the whole 9 yards and had a blast with it. Occasionally wonder what happened with it after I sold it.

45-70 is about as long as you can go without modifying the breech block, or using a very sharply tapered cartridge - and given the stress is taken by the hinge pin rather than the receiver, I don't know how high I'd want the forces involved to get.
That said, I made a 45-70 up 35 years ago - new forend, express sights, the whole 9 yards and had a blast with it. Occasionally wonder what happened with it after I sold it.
I figured cartridge length might be an issue. I could probably go with a .45-70 just for something fun to play with, and acceptable for some US game should I ever want to use it, but I was looking at the Nitro Express (or possibly a .400 or .404 Jeffrey despite being rimless) in the event of having something beefier for African game one day. So maybe I'll look back at the Sharps/High Wall idea.