• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

18in Spr Optics

carhartt45

Private
Minuteman
Aug 28, 2022
VA
Looking at Optics for my 18in spr/mk12 clone thinking of a Nightforce NX8 2.5-20x50 ffp or any recommendations?

Reactions: simonp
I continue to push my AR scopes smaller and smaller. Unless you're really pushing low light I much prefer an LPVO now. Or something like a 2-10 or 2-12.

I’ve got a uso 3-17 on mine right now and I wish I had something lighter and with less magnification. Especially when running my clip-on thermal. Not sure if your building a mod 0 or 1, but the 0 is very heavy as is. So it’s a good idea to keep the optic weight down.

Reactions: carhartt45
I’ve been going back and forth with the MK V and the NF myself

I’ve got a uso 3-17 on mine right now and I wish I had something lighter and with less magnification. Especially when running my clip-on thermal. Not sure if your building a mod 0 or 1, but the 0 is very heavy as is. So it’s a good idea to keep the optic weight down.
basically doing a mod 1 inspired and updated build

I’m running the 4-16 atacr, much much more forgiving eye box than that 2.5-20 (also experienced pretty bad tunneling wasn’t a big fan). To me the weight of the atacr is worth it’s versatility

I’m running the 4-16 atacr, much much more forgiving eye box than that 2.5-20 (also experienced pretty bad tunneling wasn’t a big fan). To me the weight of the atacr is worth it’s versatility
Which 2.5x20 did you have previously?

Nightforce C361 F1 3.5-15x50 Zero Stop H58 Riflescope​

UjLELBzm.jpg

This works for me but the optic is discontinued, 4-16 Atacr would be choice if it was within the budget

What are the objectives for the rifle?

- How clone correct do you want to be? Or is it more of a clone "inspired" build?
- What distances are you going to be shooting at?
- What's your budget?

I personally feel that a scope in the range of 3-15 or 3-18 is going to be more useful at distances than any sort of LPVO (1-8 ish). There seems to be a pretty wide band of power within an LPVO that just wouldn't get used, IMO. Not really great for short/CQB or long distances, IMO.

2.5-20 seems like a good zoom range, I would hear from others who have experience with the NX8 what they think of that line. The Leupold MK5 in 3-18 seems intriguing for this role. Steiner has a T6 in that optic range that's somewhat budget friendly. Burris XTRIII seems like a great budget choice (check out Liberty Optics), but have heard mixed things on the useability of the reticle at different powers. K318 seems solid. Top tier would be TT315M or a ZCO 420.

I started with a Leupold Mk4 3.5-10 then went to a NF SHV 4-14F1 then a 1-8x ATACR. My plan before the 1-8 was to put a 4-16 ATACR on it.

I don’t recall your intended use for the rifle. My use was for everything. But the deciding factor was that I use mine for matches that sometimes have magnification restrictions. Usually max 10x. That’s what made me decide in the 1-8 ATACR over the 4-16 ATACR.

If I never had a restriction in optics then I’d have the 4-16 ATACR with the Mil-XT reticle. 4x is low enough to use at closer ranges and the 16x will help with PID. And the reticle gives you plenty of holdover ability while not being overly intrusive or obscuring small targets.

The glass on the 1-8 is great but the reticle doesn’t lend itself well to shooting small targets. There is a center dot that is .35 Mils which is right about 1 MOA. For smaller targets the center dot will mostly obscure them. The reticle is bright with illumination, though. Truly daylight bright. And holdovers are easy. You’re probably going to be using holds as well. The turrets on the 1-8 are covered. They can be used uncovered but they are very low profile and the numbers and hashes are a bit more difficult to see.

The 4-16 is a better scope for fine precision. Maybe you need that on an SPR, maybe you don’t. I don’t regret the 1-8 because it’s a great scope but the 4-16 is probably a better do-it-all scope.

Last edited:
Reactions: thegrayham
have any pictures of it?
What are the objectives for the rifle?

- How clone correct do you want to be? Or is it more of a clone "inspired" build?
- What distances are you going to be shooting at?
- What's your budget?

I personally feel that a scope in the range of 3-15 or 3-18 is going to be more useful at distances than any sort of LPVO (1-8 ish). There seems to be a pretty wide band of power within an LPVO that just wouldn't get used, IMO. Not really great for short/CQB or long distances, IMO.

2.5-20 seems like a good zoom range, I would hear from others who have experience with the NX8 what they think of that line. The Leupold MK5 in 3-18 seems intriguing for this role. Steiner has a T6 in that optic range that's somewhat budget friendly. Burris XTRIII seems like a great budget choice (check out Liberty Optics), but have heard mixed things on the useability of the reticle at different powers. K318 seems solid. Top tier would be TT315M or a ZCO 420.
going for a clone inspired build

I started with a Leupold Mk4 3.5-10 then went to a NF SHV 4-14F1 then a 1-8x ATACR. My plan before the 1-8 was to put a 4-16 ATACR on it.

I don’t recall your intended use for the rifle. My use was for everything. But the deciding factor was that I use mine for matches that sometimes have magnification restrictions. Usually max 10x. That’s what made me decide in the 1-8 ATACR over the 4-16 ATACR.
so basically a do all rifle mainly longer range 300 to 600 target and 100 to 300 for varmint hunting

have any pictures of it?

going for a clone inspired
IMG_7082.jpeg
For targets out to 600 I would definitely want adjustable parallax (not found on many LPVOs). This is still light enough for me to run closer range drills with an offset dot yet feel very comfortable at distance shooting prone.

• Love
Looking at Optics for my 18in spr/mk12 clone thinking of a Nightforce NX8 2.5-20x50 ffp or any recommendations?

That depends upon what exactly you mean by “clone”. The scopes used on SPRs were primarily Leupolds that topped out at 8x – 10x magnification; similar to those pictured below.

noveske-18-inch-spr-ar15-with-leupold-scope-002.jpg

colt-20-inch-dmr-type-001.jpg

For a more modern scope in that same magnification role, the Nightforce NXS 2.5 - 10 X 42 Compact is my current favorite for that role.

nightforce-42-cropped-006.jpg

This scope is available with MOA or mil turrets, with MOA or mil reticles and it has a ZERO-STOP elevation turret. It has side-adjustment parallax that is adjustable from 25 yards to infinity.

The scope comes with a factory magnification-ring throw-lever that is removable. The scope has user switchable red and green illumination (daylight visible, not daylight bright). Only the center cross-hair is illuminated. Naturally, this scope has the excellent glass, durability and precisely repeatable turret adjustments on which Nightforce has built its reputation.

this scope has all of the above features along with the benefits of a 42mm objective, all while having a smaller footprint than legacy 10X scopes.

Last edited:
For targets out to 600 I would definitely want adjustable parallax (not found on many LPVOs). This is still light enough for me to run closer range drills with an offset dot yet feel very comfortable at distance shooting prone.
that's exactly the setup I'm going for

Reactions: BeckOlu
so basically a do all rifle mainly longer range 300 to 600 target and 100 to 300 for varmint hunting

You can do that with a good 1-8 or 1-10 but shooting those distances you’re going to be at or near the top end of the magnification most of the time and while some of the LPVO’s are very good on the top end for what they are they still don’t have the eye box of something with a 42mm, 50mm, or 56mm objective at the same magnification.

I’ve got two 16” DMR/SPR rifle set up identically with Vudu 1-10’s and while I really like that optic I’m switching one of them to a MPVO for my uses since I basically use them for the same thing.

ATACR master race! J/K but really it's an awesome option for this niche of rifle.

My Precious.jpg

There's a YT channel that had some great insights on SPR set up from Ridgeline Defense, one of them being optic selection and I agree with their assessment in that regard wholeheartedly. When you get out of a manicured range environment and/or away from a spotter, you're going to want more magnification.

I use a "mostly this, sometimes that" rule when doing set up and equipment selections, in this case meaning mostly I'm using this SPR for medium-long range and only sometimes for close range. So I have it set up with the 4-16 ATACR that I can use easily down on the lower mags and have it supplemented with offset iron sights for 50 and in basically.

Last edited:
ATACR master race! J/K but really it's an awesome option for this niche of rifle.

View attachment 8128122

There's a TY channel that had some great insights on SPR set up from Ridgeline Defense, one of them being optic selection and I agree with their assessment in that regard wholeheartedly. When you get out of a manicured range environment and/or away from a spotter, you're going to want more magnification.

I use a "mostly this, sometimes that" rule when doing set up and equipment selections, in this case meaning mostly I'm using this SPR for medium-long range and only sometimes for close range. So I have it set up with the 4-16 ATACR that I can use easily down on the lower mags and have it supplemented with offset iron sights for 50 and in basically.

I have a 4-16 ATACR in my cart right now.. going to the lgs tomorrow to check one out before I order it

I have a 1-8 ATACR on my Mod H, if I do another I would go 4-16 especially since you want to push it to 600m and will be using it for predator control / hunting. You can always dial back and ive found myself wanting for more mag especially outside of nicer landscaped ranges lol

Id get a good modular scope ring setup too - Badger COMM, NF, Geiselle + Reptila or otherwise - so you can do a J Arm or top mounted SRO or T2. Especially if you go 4-16, gives you good versatility without too much of a weight penalty.

It really depends on the distance, target size, and lighting conditions.

I like 2X magnification per 100 yards although over the weekend I was playing at 605 with a P4xi, and getting good hits. Lighting conditions were perfect and the target was 12x20", and provided good contrast against the background.

View attachment 8128122

There's a TY channel that had some great insights on SPR set up from Ridgeline Defense, one of them being optic selection and I agree with their assessment in that regard wholeheartedly. When you get out of a manicured range environment and/or away from a spotter, you're going to want more magnification.

Knew it before I checked the location, PNTC Starlight Range.

Takes about the same if I don’t stop for coffee on the way. Working on getting Starlight open on Saturday

any issues with the eyebox etc on the 2.5x10?

Depends on which one. The 24mm is as tight as you'd expect it to be, the 32mm is better, and the 42mm has a very nice eye box and also has parallax adjustment. I have one of the 2.5-10x42's that's going to live on one of my SPR's.

Depends on which one. The 24mm is as tight as you'd expect it to be, the 32mm is better, and the 42mm has a very nice eye box and also has parallax adjustment. I have one of the 2.5-10x42's that's going to live on one of my SPR's.

I agree with the above, I have the NF 2.5-10 X 24 and 42 versions and the 42 is pretty much better in every way in terms of IQ, FOV, and eye box. I don't think I'll ever part with my 24mm NF but it's definitely a dated design and it shows.

1682520960146.png

I did some really snobby shit with mine when I got a crazy deal on an S&B 5-20x Ultra Short.

1682521007922.png

I originally embarked on this project by asking myself "Ok, so you've already got a Mk12 Mod 0 service rifle clone for nostalgia's sake, what would you build with today's components for that mission?" So I started with an LMT MLR 18" and used a Vortex 1-10x but found myself spending most of the time shooting with the magnification way up and wanting a bit more. I tried an NXS 3.5-15x I had laying around which was a bit of an improvement but much too large of a scope. That's also when I added the offset RDS, which confirmed that a midrange optic with RDS was the way to go. Then I got this crazy deal on an S&B 5-20x Ultra Short non-illum w/ H59 and it's turned out to be almost perfect (3-20x would be better but too long). This combined with the assaulter bipod really turned this rig into something I could almost do everything with and not be a big bulky annoying rig like the Mk12 Mod 0.

tempImageQCPvs1.jpg

LMT 13.25in quad rail MRP with factory 18in SS barrel/BRT gas tube, 3-12x56 Hensoldt with mil-dot reticle, BE Meyers 3 degree Kiji with Steiner CQBL on Echo Arms mount, and LMT DMR stock. I really like the 3-12 range with a heavier mil-dot reticle for this type of setup. The visible laser could be used at close range outside daylight bright conditions. At night with NV the IR laser is stupid easy at 200 yards and reasonable getting hits at 300 yards on 1/3 IPSC.

tempImage8tSfvu.jpg

First three shot group at 600 yards with 53 Vmax/N133 load checking dope... I wish I could do that every time! The rifle is more capable than the shooter, I am not very good shooting semiautos but trying to get better.

I’ve ran tons of scopes; 3-12 S&B, 3.6-18 mark 5, 3-18 XTR3, 2.5-20 NX8, 3-12 LRTS, 4.5-18 LRTS (LRHS too), 4-16 arken, 3-10 mark4.

Mark5 was my favorite. Until I got the XTR3. The price was a steal (especially what I pay). I didn’t feel it was giving up much except a few Once’s.

I have one 18” gun left in 556 with a 3-18. My 6arc 18” had a EP5 but I’m putting another XTR3 3-18 on it soon.

I have a 16” gun that is more precision oriented I will be trying the 2-12 Athlon. I have heard many good things about it. Look into that one too.

View attachment 8128122

There's a YT channel that had some great insights on SPR set up from Ridgeline Defense, one of them being optic selection and I agree with their assessment in that regard wholeheartedly. When you get out of a manicured range environment and/or away from a spotter, you're going to want more magnification.

Modern Day Sniper Episode #0085 is all about scoped carbines. I guess MDS just hired a carbine guy and they are going to start teaching carbine courses.

This podcast episode would be a good one for the OP to listen to.

I have a 16” gun that is more precision oriented I will be trying the 2-12 Athlon. I have heard many good things about it. Look into that one too.
I have one and I like it, but be aware it is not a group shooting type scope. The reticle is coarse and fast, not fine and precise.

I’ve got a 5-25 on my SPR and it lives around 12-15 most of the time. 3-18 is probably what you’d want to go with.

I had a USO 3-12 on it and really didn’t like zeroing it at 100.