• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

1903 springfields!

diver9

Private
Minuteman
Jun 16, 2011
1903 springfields..show em! lets see some range reports as well!!

Re: 1903 springfields!

Here is what I picked up off of Gun Broker:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=229433262

...and this is the beauty that I received:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIk90KGt08A

The bolt did not head space, so I do not have a range report just yet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=up61AcpJDBE

I have an un-issued bolt body on the way from Sprinfield Sporters, and hope to have a range report shortly there after.

Did I mention that I also have a CMP Greek Return? I report on it later, once I have it back together.

Thanks for starting this thread!

very nice rifle im looking to pick one up. i really like how the old world war rifles have iron sights. i hope you dont mind but how much did you pick that one up for? you can pm it to me. i see good quality rifles for around 1k. fair price? keep the pics and range reports coming!!!!!!!!

I picked the rifle for $450, it was a steal. The local shooter who played FFL for me has already stated that he wants the rifle...

The new bolt arrived, and it head spaces as designed, so I hope to take the rifle to the range on 4th of July Weekend.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DRAGON64</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I picked the rifle for $450, it was a steal. The local shooter who played FFL for me has already stated that he wants the rifle...

The new bolt arrived, and it head spaces as designed, so I hope to take the rifle to the range on 4th of July Weekend. </div></div>

good for you man and good luck with your rifle! im very jealous and cant wait to see the range report and dont be afraid to pm me if you see another STEAL like that one

This one has been in the family since 1976. I carried it in Alaska....and then I restored it to military condition.

M1903 Modified -

meandjesse.jpg

m1903_A.jpg

m1903_B.jpg

I have a question to ask about the 1903s. I know that certain vintage rifles like the mausers come with a warning of being careful about loading hot rounds for fear of too much pressure. Do the 03s have similar issues? I am not talking about hi-power cartriges like a 300wm or anything. In keeping the 03 chambered in the 06 round, is there any danger in pushing a hot loaded round and creating a dangerous or destructive situation.

There are a set of serial numbers (Low serial number) that have case hardening issues.

I would thik it would be safer.

I've run some 180gr bullets at MAXIMUM load (Want to say 53 or 57 gr of 4350 but I'd have to check)....no issue...

Would not run them anymore as a matter of practice simply because there is no need unless you are shooting a 1000 yard match....

Low numbered 1903 rifles are:

Rock Island numbers below 500,000
Springfield Armory varies and depending who you get your info from is anywhere between 750,00 to 800,000.

Before these numbers, '03 receivers were single heat treated(cased) like ArticLight mentioned. Workers manning the furnances figured their hardness by eye and the color of the receiver. Far from an accurate measurement, you will encounter low number 1903s that were rebuilt during WWII and re-issued. Hatcher's Notebook is an excellent book with quite a bit of ordnance info.

i have a 1903 that my grandad found in his corn field after the manuevers pre WWII. i will post a pic tonight.

i also got a killer deal on a 1917 remington about a month ago!! will post pic of it too!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DRAGON64</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is what I picked up off of Gun Broker:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=229433262

...and this is the beauty that I received:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIk90KGt08A

The bolt did not head space, so I do not have a range report just yet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=up61AcpJDBE

I have an un-issued bolt body on the way from Sprinfield Sporters, and hope to have a range report shortly there after.

Did I mention that I also have a CMP Greek Return? I report on it later, once I have it back together.

Thanks for starting this thread! </div></div>

There's something not quite right about that rifle - I believe you have 03A3 bottom metal on it but it's not an 03A3.

And I MIGHT be wrong but you may have an M1903 Modified based on the s/n - going to look it up now...(That would be a good thing).

Also your sling swivels look to be stamped and not milled, indicative that they are 03a3 parts.

Yep you have a 1903 in that thar rifle as advertised but have 03a3 parts on it.

Get onto e-gunparts.com (Numrich) and get the correct parts on there - that's a beautiful rifle!!!
They do not have the sling swivel in stock right now (Except gold plated)...

Here's a link - I'd be leery of anyone else selling parts for that rifle...

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Products.aspx?catid=11901

(The Gov could have swapped them on in the war, but it would be more historically accurate to get 03 parts, not to mention they are milled and look better).

<span style="font-weight: bold">1942 3000001 3348085 (M1903)
1942 3348086 3607999 (M1903A3)</span>

If you look at my pic above you can see the floor plate, a bit, that it's milled and not stamped...

K98and1903.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArcticLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yep you have a 1903 in that thar rifle as advertised but have 03a3 parts on it.

Get onto e-gunparts.com (Numrich) and get the correct parts on there - that's a beautiful rifle!!!
They do not have the sling swivel in stock right now (Except gold plated)...

Here's a link - I'd be leery of anyone else selling parts for that rifle...

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Products.aspx?catid=11901

(The Gov could have swapped them on in the war, but it would be more historically accurate to get 03 parts, not to mention they are milled and look better).

<span style="font-weight: bold">1942 3000001 3348085 (M1903)
1942 3348086 3607999 (M1903A3)</span>

If you look at my pic above you can see the floor plate, a bit, that it's milled and not stamped...
</div></div>

Agreed, the milled parts would look better... and, oh yeah! Thanks a bunch pal...! now I'm on a new mission to correct this rifle
grin.gif

Seriosly though, my Greek return has the milled parts, and it looks awesome! so you are right, I need to correct the rifle, as it is a beautiful example.

Here is my Greek Return as of this past weekend:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aarsVMJqNfQ

Well it's only a suggestion, I suspect either way would or could be historically accurate but I think you'll find the pre-03A3 parts to be much better parts with a better feel and look to them
smile.gif

Here's a couple pics of a correct 1903 bottom metal and sling swivel - note it's solid (Sorry camera would not focus properly...)

1903bottommetal.jpg
1903slingmount.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArcticLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well it's only a suggestion, I suspect either way would or could be historically accurate but I think you'll find the pre-03A3 parts to be much better parts with a better feel and look to them
smile.gif

Here's a couple pics of a correct 1903 bottom metal and sling swivel - note it's solid (Sorry camera would not focus properly...)

1903bottommetal.jpg
1903slingmount.jpg
</div></div>

The rifle is to pretty not to correct these items... I'm hunting for the parts.

Remington made som 03's early in war. these were 03 and no 03A3s. they look just like the normal 03 but sport a lot of stamped parts like the A3s.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Emilio</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Remington made som 03's early in war. these were 03 and no 03A3s. they look just like the normal 03 but sport a lot of stamped parts like the A3s. </div></div>

I had heard they did that, was not sure if it was during a repair cycle or manufacture....

That would have been later in the war tho, no?

Mine was a Rock Island 5/43 - if stamping occured would it have been in 44 and later?

Mine is dated 1942 and my friend's is dated 1941. From what I have read it was gearing up for the war. When we went to war they stopped making the 03 and started up the A3.

Here is a pic from gun Broker of the 1903 parts in question:

pix371346037.jpg

Incidently, the seller stated that they had to replace the bolt body of this rifle. The 1903 came with a B&S bolt body that would not headspace using Clymer gauges, so I replaced it with an R marked body from Springfield Sporters, and now it will headspace. What I mean by not headspacing; the B&S body would not close on the "GO" gauge, but the "R" marked bolt will.

with the Remington 03's it depended on the serial number, early ones had all milled parts and later ones had a mix, the trigger guards were stamped. Mine is all milled barrel date is ??/42 serial number is 30????, can't remember and it back in Michigan.

If you are actually going to be shooting it for accuracy, such as a military rifle match the milled is the preferred floorplate. The stamped won't hold torque like the milled will, I discovered this after shooting my rifle through one summer, it shot phenominal groups at 200 yards slung prone with iron sights, then suddenly didn't. I couldn't figure out what happened then happened across some info reccomending the milled and it cured my problem. By the way this shot these great groups with ball lake city ammo.

If you get a good one these rifles will shoot. I used to have one of the targets I shot that was 5 shots in 3/4 inch with ball, lol this was 100yards. This wasn't the average though, it was usually around an inch or so with ball, I never tried it with anything else. I would strongly suggest going to the milled if you can find one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Casey Simpson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Arcticlight, that looks like an oil treatment on the wood. Nice. </div></div>

Which one, the springfield?

That's a CMP stock, but it came bone dry.

I put two coats of Tung oil per my smith (Clear).

I used acetone on the K98 stock and then put one coat of TUng on it, for now - but I'm gonig to steam a few dents out...

I have two Springfields. The first is actually a Smith Corona that I got for a song and ended up building it into a tribute 1903A4 using a Lyman Alaskan scope. It's a damned accurate rifle, but I haven't taken any really great pics of it that I can find. I hunted with it once, and it performed nicely.
2001Buck.jpg

The second rifle is a Springfield 1903 (circa 1918) that is just barely in the high number range. It's an old Greek return from the CMP, and it was in absolutely hideous condition (albeit with an excellent 1918 dated bore) when I got it. I replaced the chewed and cracked scant replacement stock with a reproduction 1903 finger groove stock set, and since the Greeks had refinished it anyway, I had a new park job applied.
DSC00024.jpg

DSC00021.jpg

DSC00025.jpg

DSC00028.jpg

And she's a shooter! Here's a target shot with Greek Surplus ammo from CMP. Range was 100 and I used a rifle rest.

DSC00010.jpg

Saleen

I have some extra milled bands around here somewhere. Your sling swivel band is stamped and is not a match for your milled forward band. If you want a milled one, let me know.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bcw1284</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have some extra milled bands around here somewhere. Your sling swivel band is stamped and is not a match for your milled forward band. If you want a milled one, let me know. </div></div>

I'm interested, I'll send you a PM...

My Dad was an Army Armorer in an Ordnance detachment / Recovery Unit with, by the way, Charles Askins, Jr. who became later a Colonel and at last field editor of NRA publications.

He always praised the '03 Springfield for its accuracy over the M1. I just offer that as testimony for back in the day. His stories told me he had opportunity
to shoot all the small arms quite a bit. He also preferred the 1917 Colt revolver to the 1911.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: saleen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
The second rifle is a Springfield 1903 (circa 1918) that is just barely in the high number range. It's an old Greek return from the CMP, and it was in absolutely hideous condition (albeit with an excellent 1918 dated bore) when I got it. I replaced the chewed and cracked scant replacement stock with a reproduction 1903 finger groove stock set, and since the Greeks had refinished it anyway, I had a new park job applied.

Saleen </div></div>

Saleen - that sling would look mighty fine, and probably last decades longer with this fine product from turner Saddlery.

Albeit it will darken it slightly but I use it on all of my slings....

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=620836

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Parga</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Low numbered 1903 rifles are:

Rock Island numbers below 500,000
Springfield Armory varies and depending who you get your info from is anywhere between 750,00 to 800,000.
</div></div>

From <span style="color: #000099">Hatcher's Notebook</span>: Rock Island Arsenal began double heat-treating of receivers at SN: 285,507; Springfield at <span style="font-style: italic">around</span> 800,000. One rifle SN: 801,5XX did burst during firing, but Hatcher was convinced that it was a single heat-treated receiver which for some reason wasn't immediately put into service, and subsequently received a higher serial number than it normally would have.

Nice rifles!

I saw a really nice repro 1903A3 at Bisley on Saturday.....I wish people would stop showing me all this stuff....just makes me want to buy more rifles!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArcticLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Basra you don't have an 03 yet????

You need one for your collection!!!
</div></div>

laugh.gif
Been trying to find a good one for a while now but there don't seem to be that many to choose from this side of the water....apart from the one I saw on Saturday!

Man these are some nice rifle's my father in law just gave me one for my B-day i'll post some pics later of it.

Here are the results of Sunday's Garand match at Coeur d' Alene Idaho.
316khz6.jpg

My best stage was rapid sitting with a score of 96-3X. I came in second for that stage with that score. I was shooting 150 grain cast bullets in my Remington 1903A3. There were two of us shooting the A3s the other 10 used the M1 Garand.

312cz6a.jpg

I just picked up the other night from my local shop a Remington 03 A3. I know absolutely nothing about these rifles other than the A4 seem to be a bit pricey. I was hesitate on the purchase for 600 because the rifle looked too good, if that makes sense. For something supposedly made in the 40's the stock looks great. The metal looks superb and the sling looks to be in very good condition. None of the rifle looks perfect but damn nice. The rifle was on consignement and the shop really didn't know that much about vintage rifles. They looked the numbers in alittle book and to them it appeared the rifle was correct. I decided to take a chance on the rifle and purchased it. After all even if its not an original remmy 03A3 it still may make a nice shooter. anyway, I'll get a few pictures up tonight and if anybody can help identify this sucker to see if its a repro or remake or resurfaced. There are no proof marks on the stock.
sam

It is cool that you guys shoot the rapid sitting stage. I have never been to a Garand/Vintage bolt match where they shoot that stage.

Too bad Coeur d' Alene is so far away.

They have Garand matches near Lewiston,ID.

They probably have some near Boise too.

Check out the CMP webpage for info.

carl

PS I stopped at the Pony Express in CDA today. They had two Springfields for sale one a Smith Corona 03A3 Mk 1 for $750 and a 1903 Springfield Armory for $1200.

They both appeared to be in better shape than mine.

I have a 1903 I acquired about 15 years ago. I don't know anything about it and have never fired it. The stock appears to have been refinished and the refinish is really shiny. Overall the gun looks to be in fair condition. Here's some pics I just took, maybe someone here knows a little about what I have.

101_0066.jpg

101_0063.jpg

101_0064.jpg

101_0062.jpg
101_0060.jpg
101_0059.jpg
101_0058.jpg
101_0056.jpg
101_0055.jpg

Etnie,

That 1903 is actually a 1903 MK1, cut for the Pederson device (ejection hole on the left) from the pics it looks to be an all original. FWIW pull the bolt and take a picture of where the trigger sear comes up out of the receiver. If the sear looks like it's got an extra "lever" in it you might have a complete and correct one. Then all you would need is $35K to get the Pederson device to go with it
laugh.gif

Cheers,

Doc

I came across an 03 rear sight, front sight hood, and a "C" stock buttplate (New unissued ori ginal equipment from Numrich)...

If anyone needs them let me know - sell on teh cheap - and I realize this should go in the 4sale but how many of you spend time in there too?

My grandfather bought a Remington 03A3 shortly after he got out of the army in the 1950s from the NRA program, he's had it ever since and today I went and got it for myself because he was selling it. He's had it for 60 years or so, it's been fired and used, but is in absolutely pristine condition. He even gave me that wooden box which was the ammo he originally bought with the rifle, and it's about half-full. I haven't taken it to the range yet but I'll add pictures when I do.

250108_2056236360405_1079472750_32298786_1737573_n.jpg

229718_2056235800391_1079472750_32298785_2095719_n.jpg

206090_2056236760415_1079472750_32298787_2040749_n.jpg

262497_2056235520384_1079472750_32298784_742151_n.jpg

254748_2056235240377_1079472750_32298783_6604491_n.jpg

250046_2056237080423_1079472750_32298788_951556_n.jpg

Dude, that looks like an original finish gun. If it was me, and that was the case, it would be set aside and I would shoot up a mix master. Hard to find orignal condition A3s and that one looks pretty premo!

John