• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

1903 springfields!

Re: 1903 springfields!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mudcat-NC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dude, that looks like an original finish gun. If it was me, and that was the case, it would be set aside and I would shoot up a mix master. Hard to find orignal condition A3s and that one looks pretty premo!

John
</div></div>

Man, don't tell me that! I was hoping to stay nice and oblivious and think "well, this is in really good condition, but there are tons of them and I won't feel bad if I shoot it a lot and use it in vintage competitions". Now I'm sitting here going "Well, I guess I better get home tonight and re-clean it and leave the oil on it this time and stick it in a safe." :p

And since my grandfather has had it for the last like 60 years and only probably shot maybe 40 rounds through it, I'd guess that it's original finish and all matching, I know nothing about 1903s so I couldn't really tell. Also while we're on the subject, the box of original ammo he gave me with it also came with all the casings he'd fired; are these safe to reload? I figure they are WWII surplus 30-06 and I don't really know if I can reload them or not.

wow wolven...that is one amazing 03!! i wouldnt shoot it either...i would get a mix or cutt up one to shoot..that thing is worth a pretty penny in that kinda shape..and original finish like that is getting hard to find....i got a m1 garand with green finish just like that...unmolested it looks like..thats a great 03 you got there sir.

Yes I did because it had cosmoline all over it and I had to clean all the cosmoline off the stock so I when over it a bit not much. Thank you.
HiddenBuff

P1030630.jpg

P1030632.jpg

P1030633.jpg

Here is mine.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

I'm also working on building a Model 1924 .22RF International Match rifle that Springfield built. Will post pictures in a few days of the barreled action when I get the barrel installed.

Later, Frank

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Frank Green</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
P1030632.jpg

Here is mine.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels </div></div>

What is the paint on the barrel? I'm not an expert but an F.A. with the flaming bomb symbol would tell me the F should be an R for Rock Island - no?

Just curious, never saw anything BUT RA's (There are others just never saw one)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArcticLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Frank Green</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
P1030632.jpg

Here is mine.

Later, Frank

What is the paint on the barrel? I'm not an expert but an F.A. with the flaming bomb symbol would tell me the F should be an R for Rock Island - no?

Just curious, never saw anything BUT RA's (There are others just never saw one) </div></div>

The paint that is in the engraving? You use a paint pen. I'll look up the name on mine at home tonight and post tomorrow. You rub the paint pen across the grooves/lines and the paint pen will fill it in. If you look on luger pistols etc..the safety area was done like this so the lettering stood out etc...It's been to other guns over the years also.

The letter "F"? You are correct. Most Springfields have a RA or a SA for Rock Island or Remington Arms depending on when the barrel was made and Springfield Armory. We made the barrel here at work and I did the fitting. The "F" stands for Frank. Why the 3-36 date? That was my dads birth date. That's all.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

Man, I wouldnt shoot that rifle (yes, it does appear to be in original finish/condition) and I would not shoot that ammo. What is the headstamp on the ammo?

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: former0302</div><div class="ubbcode-body">An ordinary white grease pencil works well too (is that the same thing as a paint pen?) </div></div>

It's not a grease pen. It's actually like a thick paint. It hardens over night. Written on it is:

Markal B Paintstik marker

Says it's weather and fade resistant/leadfree

They make them in different colors. There made by LA-CO Industries, Inc. in Elk Grove Village, IL 60007

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Frank Green</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
The paint that is in the engraving? You use a paint pen. I'll look up the name on mine at home tonight and post tomorrow. You rub the paint pen across the grooves/lines and the paint pen will fill it in. If you look on luger pistols etc..the safety area was done like this so the lettering stood out etc...It's been to other guns over the years also.

The letter "F"? You are correct. Most Springfields have a RA or a SA for Rock Island or Remington Arms depending on when the barrel was made and Springfield Armory. We made the barrel here at work and I did the fitting. The "F" stands for Frank. Why the 3-36 date? That was my dads birth date. That's all.

Later, Frank

I have a Remington made `03 that has the HS with the flaming bomb. The HS stands for for High Standard, which is a fairly nice barrel. I just bought another HS replacement barrel (7-44), as the current 9-44 HS barrel is all but shot out.

Nice work on the `03.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DRAGON64</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Frank Green</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Later, Frank

I have a Remington made `03 that has the HS with the flaming bomb. The HS stands for for High Standard, which is a fairly nice barrel. I just bought another HS replacement barrel (7-44), as the current 9-44 HS barrel is all but shot out.

Nice work on the `03. </div></div>

Dragon64, You are correct on the HS for High Standard. Forgot about that one. Also there where a couple of others like Sedgley which if memory serves me right made some barrels for the USMC and I thought one more but these are not as common as the other ones.

Thanks for the comment on the nice work!

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

Good to see as many variations of M1903 as shown here, even a few with Unertl scopes - very jealous!!
cry.gif

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Mine.</span></span>
Had it since about 1995. I was just after an '03 - <span style="font-weight: bold">ANY '03</span> - my ideal would have been an '03A3, even a '03A1 would have been great

Guess what <span style="font-weight: bold">the only one I found for sale</span> was?
...too bl**dy expensive at the time, as I had just graduated University...
But - I liked it - so bought it
grin.gif

PICS

03A44.jpg

03A43.jpg

I have put one of my M1907's back on it now - the M1 sling gets used as a short term item

Missed a range outing with it yesterday.
mad.gif

Busy working up/researching reloads for it as it's almost impossible finding surplus .30-cal ammo in the UK now.
Will be using SMK 168's & generic Rel-com 150 FMJ bullets.
Have H4895 powder for now, but will switch to one of the Viht type soon due to better prices

My father in law brought this rifle back from Vietnam. He had it shipped back in 1970. It is an 03a4 from the first sn block. FIL used this rifle while working with the South Vietnamese Army. He shipped an old Luger and SKS back at the same time. Posted this up a few years ago but figured it would go good in this thread. Keep em coming!!

100_1710_edited-1.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nicholst55</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Parga</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Low numbered 1903 rifles are:

Rock Island numbers below 500,000
Springfield Armory varies and depending who you get your info from is anywhere between 750,00 to 800,000.
</div></div>

From <span style="color: #000099">Hatcher's Notebook</span>: Rock Island Arsenal began double heat-treating of receivers at SN: 285,507; Springfield at <span style="font-style: italic">around</span> 800,000. One rifle SN: 801,5XX did burst during firing, but Hatcher was convinced that it was a single heat-treated receiver which for some reason wasn't immediately put into service, and subsequently received a higher serial number than it normally would have. </div></div>

+1 on the serial number range for the single heat treated receivers. The magazine floor plate on the 03 in question is from an 03a3. I own several variations of 03's including the Remmy made 03 and all have milled floor plates. I have never seen or read of any correct 03's having stamped parts.

As you can see from the results the top gun at our last Garand Match was using a Springfield 1903!

CDA Rifle & Pistol Club
N. 5105 Atlas Road
Coeur d’Alene, Idaho 83814
CMP #63004-00359
RESULTS
John C. Garand Match September 11, 2011

Competitor Firearm used Prone slow fire Prone rapid fire Sitting rapid fire Standing slow fire Rapid fire aggregate Slow fire aggregate Grand total

Dusty McQuary M1903 197-3X 94-0 97-2X 90-1X 191-2X 287-4X 478-6x
Tom Bangs M1 194-3X 93-0 93-1X 86-0 186-1X 280-3X 466-4X
Chuck Deilke M1 194-2X 88-1X 86-0 90-1X 174-1X 284-3X 458-4X
Don Gage M1 190-2X 92-0 85-0 81-1X 177-0 271-3X 448-3X
Lyle Scott M1 188-5X 93-3X 93-1X 64-1X 186-4X 252-6X 438-10X
Carl Zmuda M1903A3 185-0 88-2X 61-0 80-0 149-2X 265-0 414-2X
Tony Kastella M1917 Enfield 185-2X 80-1X 73-0 67-1X 153-1X 252-3X 405-4X
Wayne Schoonmaker M1 184-2X 85-0 79-1X 55-0 164-1X 239-2X 403-3X
Jim Warner M1 184-2X 76-0 69-0 69-1X 145-0 253-3X 398-3X
Mel Nottage M1 176-2X 63-0 46-1X 79-1X 109-1X 255-3X 364-4X
Mike McMullin 30 Carbine 140-1X 84-1X 76-0 49-0 160-1X 189-1X 349-2X
Bruce Wright M1 166-6X 76-0 74-1X 28-0 150-1X 194-6X 344-7X

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mercman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">An 03A1 that I picked up last year for $450 OTD.

P1010223.jpg

</div></div>

THAT is an M1903 Modified - Sweet
smile.gif

It is 800 higher than my s/n!!!!

JayJay, how long was the wait, Im looking to get one or an M1. Rumor is you dont need a FFL just meet the criteria? Looks in great shape!

Man, you guys make me green with envy. The M1903 is my dream rifle. Nice guns guys.

Here are some photos of a 1926 Springfield that I found in a beat to hell sporter stock a while back. Fortunately all the original hardware was still with the rifle and the barrel was not cut up, the barrel is a 1926 dated with star gage numbers stamped. Apparently this rifle sold through the DCM in 1937.

DSC_5763.jpg

DSC_5771.jpg

DSC_5765.jpg

DSC_5772.jpg

DSC_5770.jpg

DSC_5768.jpg

was that lyman sight original? Did they put them on target/match rifles back then?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: armydog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">was that lyman sight original? Did they put them on target/match rifles back then? </div></div>

That's a later model/version of the lyman sight. The match rifles normally didn't have lymans on them but you could pay a few extra bucks and they would install a lyman sight on the '03 match rifles.

Nice gun!

Later, Frank

Gotta tell ya, I still wouldn't want to be on the business of one of those held in the hands of a good ole boy who grew up hunting squirrels . . .

Some very nice old rifles here. Would someone give me a current ballpark value/range of values for a 1903 National Match rifle? I may post pictures at a later time.
grin.gif
Thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: N2DADARK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">JayJay, how long was the wait, Im looking to get one or an M1. Rumor is you dont need a FFL just meet the criteria? Looks in great shape!</div></div>

Right on 4 weeks to my door. No you do not need an FFL. Don't bother with a 1903, they sold out the day they were released on October 3rd all models except low serial numbered springfields which are unsafe to shoot. They still got some M1's but I'd do it fairly quickly as a guy I know who works there said they had less than 150,000 M1's left and that was last year, after all these years of selling them it seems the stockpile end is in sight

Hey guys! Some nice lookin rifles here! I'm hoping some of you can help me out. I picked this one up 20 some odd years ago from a pawn shop for 75 bucks. I know it's almost sacrilegious to have these un-original, so let me say this is how I bought it! ha I didn't do this to the rifle.

What I would like help on is helping me identify what the heck it is haha As you can see there's quite a bit of frankenstein-ed parts on here, I'm just curious what's original and whats not. The serial number is from Springfield Armory and is low 120,000s, which puts it manufactured in 1905. Under Springfield it says Model 1903. That's the extent of my knowledge on the rifle. I did notice that the front sight is different and says 'Lyman' on the side. Has this been rebarreled or somehow just the ramp added on?

Yes yes, I know you're not supposed to shoot the low numbered ones. But the facts are that 68 rifles out of 800,000 had failures...and this thing has been shooting since 1905. If it hasn't happened yet I'm comfortable taking the chance. I also wear safety glasses whenever I fire it haha. And damn does it shoot. When I bought it it had the Lyman sight on it but had scope mount holes drilled...but cock-eyed. I bought a B-square mount and it worked great...albeit hard to get a good cheek weld cause it was mounted so high. But I got consistent groups between .79 and .92in, and that was with non-match remington Core-lockt ammo! I was impressed. But then the mount failed so it was back to the Lyman.

Thanks ahead of time for the help!

This was the start of my day yesterday, 0900 hours and 60 plus degrees just west of Boston on an empty 200 yard range with a 1.3 SA 1903A1.

range001.jpg

The target fired with irons

range004.jpg

The rifle is the top one of the three in this photo

GungnirNothungMjolnir.jpg