• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

1903A1 National Match rifle

Calfed

Private
Minuteman
Dec 3, 2009
A couple of years back I saw a 1903 rifle on auction, billed as a National Match model. It looked right and I requested a Springfield Research Service serial number check on it. The inquiry came back with a hit from the SRS...1903A1 NM DCM sale, 9/12/1938. Based on this, I went ahead and made the opening bid on it. Also saw a 1903A4 at the same auction and put in the opening bid on that one.

I didn't hear anything from the auction house for a few months and assumed that I had been outbid. Out of the blue, I got an email from the auction house advising that I had won both rifles. I previously posted about the A4, but here are a few pictures of the NM rifle.

bMx3Xfv.jpg

G7GFfVf.jpg

zrwWfKj.jpg

idVmDoX.jpg

EHN4JRJ.jpg

Last edited:
Oh man if the bore looks half as nice as the outside you sir have a awesome rifle!

That's quite a find. Congratulations!

Ron (Canada)

This is the SRS letter on the rifle and a copy of the purchase record...

Gt14NFF.png

b2VHcOK.png

Here is my post on the 1903A4 that I won at the same auction...

Love that old school upper handguard......interesting the "Hatcher" hole appears to be Philedelphia USMC drilled rather than Springfield. Looks like it has a little evidence of a burr. I see the sales lit says NM in a private sale though.

Paging @cplnorton ........

Reactions: Calfed
@pmclaine @sandwarrior @cplnorton @sirhrmechanic etc.. anybody know what the differences are between 1903 Nat’l Match vs 1903 Special Target?
I know I wasn't included in the question but I have a copy of Brophy's book. He states that pre-1928, the Special Target was a standard service rifle with a star gauged barrel. Between 1928 and 1930, it was a reconditioned National Match rifle with the "specially designed" NM parts replaced with standard parts. After 1930, it was a reconditioned National Match rifle with a C stock. He discusses it on page 201. Hope that helps.

I would post a picture of the passage but I think that would violate copyright law.

@pmclaine @sandwarrior @cplnorton @sirhrmechanic etc.. anybody know what the differences are between 1903 Nat’l Match vs 1903 Special Target?
Where all the authors have got confused is "Special Target" actually was used for about 6 or 7 different models of rifles sold thru the DCM. It was used in every title of the different models they sold. Otherwise for instance, special target national Match, or Special Target heavy barrel.

Then Ordnance realized that there was a lot of confusion on the term special target, so they reclassified it in the late 20s.

So they actually reclassified it to where it meant a prior year National Match rifle that was cleaned or repaired.

So any NM rifle that had any work done on it, became a Special Target.