• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

1903a3s and 1917s

BigPappaG

Private
Minuteman
May 9, 2012
I have been prowling the local gun shops, looking for a mil surplus toy. I have come across several 1903a3's and Enfield 1917s. I think that I recall that there was am issue with steel quality on some of these guns. Is this true, and how do you identify the questionable guns?

Re: 1903a3s and 1917s

"And yes, I've gone where no man has gone before, but I was in Mexico and her father gave me permission! My name is William Shatner, and I am Canadian!" - William Shatner

Here dad told me " she be virgin once, for you, she be virgin twice!"
That was weeks before Shatner got there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: n64atlas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"And yes, I've gone where no man has gone before, but I was in Mexico and her father gave me permission! My name is William Shatner, and I am Canadian!" - William Shatner

That was weeks before Shatner got there. </div></div>

Uh . . . . what?

Been drinking?

Low s/n's 1903's it wasn't really a quality of the steel but improper heat treatment. In the early 20's they went over to nickel steel for the receivers which was better yet. On Springfield made receivers you want s/n's above 800,000 and on the Rock Island receives I think it is around 275,000. Can't remember right off hand on the RI receivers. So take that one with a grain of salt. All 1917 Enfield style receivers are out of Nickel steel and no heat treat issues. Only issues seem to have been with the Eddystone receivers some say the barrels where tightend on to tight and can cause the receivers to crack etc...when trying to get them off and if not done properly etc....

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: n64atlas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"And yes, I've gone where no man has gone before, but I was in Mexico and her father gave me permission! My name is William Shatner, and I am Canadian!" - William Shatner

That was weeks before Shatner got there.</div></div> WTH.

The Springfield 1903s above 800,000 are double heat treated. This cause a glaze to form on the wear areas where the bolt rides. One of the smoothest actions you'll ever cycle !

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 303_enfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The low number 1903's had a problem. A3's, Model 1917 and P14 steel is fine!

Go over to the CMP to find the serial number range.
http://www.odcmp.com/Sales/m1903.htm </div></div>Yes, I read this to in an article in one of the Rifle Shooter magazines I have.

That was weeks before Shatner got there. </div></div>

This is why you do not drink an post!!