• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

1911 9mm 147gr - am I inducing the POI height

st1650

Private
Minuteman
Aug 13, 2009
So I used to shoot exclusively a G19X with a DPP with 147 gr. I never worried about my POI because I've always just set my zero at 15 yards and it's hitting where I'm aiming.

Now I acquired a beautiful custom 9mm 1911 with traditional iron/fiber optic sights and even with a low 6 cloak hold, I'm hitting way way high (like a good 4-5in at 15 yards) the groups are fine and tight but the elevation is way too much and I even have adjustable sights and I've bottomed the adjustment and it's still way high, yet when I'm shooting 124gr, I'm dead on POA/POI.

Now I'm aware that there are poi shift when going from 124 to 147 but 5in at 15 yards is massive and I wonder if it could be me. I have really really really large hands and shoot strong hand thumbs over safety with support hand with the thumb riding the slide pointing forward. I also hook my support hand index finger around the trigger guard. I have good recoil control but I'm not sure what's causing this vertical difference beside the whole "subsonic bullets leaves slower therefore it gives more time the barrel to rise up".

I have 2 barrels on that specific 1911(including a very nice Kart custom fitted) and they both do the same.

Let some other people shoot it and see what happens. Probably not the ammo.

I had something similar happen with a 45 Colt when I went from 240g factory down to 200g CAS loads. If the POI does the same with other shooters, you will need to replace the front sight blade with a taller blade to push the POI down.

I've definitely seen this when shooting hot loads through revolvers, but I'm surprised that the very modest difference between 124gr and 147gr 9mm would cause such a difference. As @Old Man with Gun suggested, start with another shooter.

Yep. Try some “more traditional” 9mm loadings and see where they’re going. But in truth it’s probably God punishing you for shooting 9mm in a 1911.

Jesus, John Wayne and John Moses Browning are very disappointed in you.

59B1371E-F303-4D3A-998A-730B745B74F4.gif