• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns 1911 Barrel for Suppressor?

Douglas-001

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2012
50 miles west of Camp Perry
Short of buying one with the link, bushing, and pin for well over $200, where can I find one? It doesn't need to be threaded, I got that covered, and Midway, and Brownells have zip. What are members using or where did they find their barrels for a Gov't model? Thanks.

Doug

With your location I would check out ADCO Firearms and see if they can thread your barrel and then add a threaded extension. It was pretty economical when I had it done a few years back.

That Storm Lake is a nice kit, but I know how much that costs! How's that extension holding up? I'm trying to picture how it was done. I could just ask the shop that does ADCO's work, I shoot with them here locally. Never heard of that. I stumbled across a 6" bbl for the gov't model now that I think about it, it was at a gun show, I figured something like that would be easy to find.

You can find 6" barrels all over the place, they too are not cheap. The cost is not in the threading or the cap, though plenty have blown it right there.
Then there is the very real issue of link pin fit, bushing tolerances and the type of shoulder barrel facing your .45 suppressor will run best with. Some shoulder up past the threads, some use the front of the barrel, some both.
Can you save $50 and make it all work, absolutely, is it worth it? Harder to know.
The 1911 is more forgiving in this sense than say a Glock or S&W, H&K, Beretta, Walther, etc., etc. The key word there is "more" most of the times you end up beating it out of something.
Welding on an extension is for those barrels currently not available properly configured. Freeboring right there, prior to the Neilson has consequences, prior to the diverter has consequences. Turning the barrel down, threading both the barrel and the extension, maybe.....

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=.45+acp+barrel+6"

Last edited:
I bought a 6 inch STI .355 barrel for my STI 2011 Tactical in 9x19 then threaded it to fit my can. I also had Chuck Rogers fit some of his tall sights.

Not a drop in barrel by any stretch.

I too couldn't find anything back in Jan 2012. I got desperate as my stamp was coming in around April
That year, and won an auction on the broker for a new drop in Stormlake. I paid more than usual, but
It was worth the bucks to not have anyone smith my stuff.for your 6", You'll need a good smith that can cut, re-crown,
And thread, BUT, it'll give you the advantage of having the can fitted right close to the bushing. The Stormlake threads
End nearly 1/2" before the bushing, so there's a gap, and that bothers some guys.

+1 - Big fan of Storm Lake barrels in general. I have a threaded one for my Commander - shoots great without the can too.