• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Back on topic. I carried a Wilson CQB for about 3 years when I worked in drug investigations. The best holster I ever tried was a Milt Sparks Versa Max II. A friend of mine who worked in the unit got one and let me try it and it made the 1911 pretty much disappear under just an un tucked shirt. It was also very comfortable. I believe in keeping the pistol in the same place on your body no matter what gun you are carrying so I have always kept it on my strong side. I know there are more concealable methods now but in my opinion I feel my muscle memory is more important and under stress i want my hand to go to the same place every time no matter if I am working patrol with a duty belt or off duty with a concealed pistol.
Pat

Before we gt into it, I'm sure I'm opening a huge can of worms here. That being said, I don't have much experience with concealed carry and handguns in general, so yes I will be taking a concealed carry course at some point before I start regularly carrying. So lets get to it...
I'm thinking about getting a Galco small of back holster and carry at 4:30-5:00 (im right handed). Reason being, when just thinking about the body mechanics of the draw, I would need to get a fistful of that 1911 almost into my armpit to clear the holster with a conventional 3:00 carry. So here's my question, does anyone have experience with this form of carry with this or a similar holster? Downsides? I know that the spinal injury argument has been brought up about a million times along with the draw being slow and general discomfort sitting, but is there anything else? Any really good things you've noticed about carrying this way? Tips? Tricks?
Thanks in advance

Is everyone in here too stupid to take a subtle warning by a moderator to CUT THE SHIT? Next post off subject will buy themselves a ban.

I like shoulder holsters when I wear a jacket - especially when driving , as mentioned by other contributors . One of the best models , IMHO , was the 1970s-early 80s Jackass line of leather goods . Galco bought them out . I asked the owner to bring back the original Jackass horizontal shoulder rig , but they had destroyed the molds . They were unique . The off-side double-mag carrier had optional models featuring built-in scabbards for the Gerber MK-I , or the Gerber MK-II , and 1 spare magazine . Some Randalls , and other brands , would also fit ... Their problem , which other brands share , is something to be aware of . The holster had a thumb-break , with a snap . It is possible with this , and similar models by other makers , to unintentionally unsnap the holster . If this happens , and the wearer leans forward , the pistol can fall out . Velcro , as used on some nylon holsters , does not seem to have that quirk . Lou Alessi (RIP) addressed that problem by putting the snap in the trigger-guard . You simply grasp the pistol and pull - it unsnaps itself via the trigger-guard ... There are also vertical-carry shoulder-holsters , which allows gravity to help retain the pistol , but are a tad slower , to me . Another holster-maker has re-introduced the vertical holster that pivots to horizontal , when presenting ... Gunshops rarely carry custom-made holsters . Alessi , Ken Null , Kramer and others seem pricey , but they will last . How much is your life worth ?

It's the voice of experience. That, and a seamstress who loves me to death for the repeat business.

If I have to say this a hundred times it's not the clothes, it's measuring your inseam...how many times to we have to go over this?

She may be 300 lbs. but always asks the nice question, "Is that a 1911 in your pocket?"

Edit:
Jeezz...almost forgot! ;);):D:D

edit:edit:

Dragoon, I noted you mentioned Galco having the snap release. Mine has that also, but has the "tensioners" to hold the holster closed. In the case of the thumb snap releasing/being released, the firearm isn't going anywhere, unless I pull it.

Last edited:
Sigfan brings up an excellent point - 'Muscle memory' ... I like short jackets , which is why I use a shoulder rig in the winter . If you like longer jackets , you could use a belt holster all year round and be happy . The IWB design allows the careful fit of the holster to the pistol to retain the pistol , without a retaining strap , and it conceals the lower half of your pistol and holster ... Clothing is another point to consider . 5.11 , for example , and others , sell clothing designed for undercover LE . They have padding to break up the pistol's outline , and pockets for hideouts . If you are a 'suit person' , a friendly tailor can alter your suits to do the same .

I like Raven Concealment for OWB. Works for IWB too. Great all around holster (if you don't plan to carry appendix, which you should try). If you want to carry appendix, look at Dale Fricke.

I have carried an M1911A1 and Browning MKIII Highpower in a black Andy Arratoonian - Horseshoe Leather SOB on military expeditions and PSD work. It is a fine holster for, as others have mentioned, excellent concealment while standing and moving while in suits. It does not have a thumb-break, which may or may not be a liability. It is not uncomfortable if you are flying in military web seats (Hueys, Blackhawks, C-130s and C17s), and if your G-ride has comfortable or bucket seats it's tolerable. I would HATE to wear it if you have to sit for long periods on surveillance, especially in rental cars with just OK seats, or in hard plastic institutional-style chairs.

It also doesn't get in the way much if you have to tote a 3-day pack or the radio. If you have to move in close quarters (halls, galleys, kitchens) or lean back all the time you'll bump the gun against counters or people you may not want to let know you're armed.

The comment about not being used in competition is irrelevant because of their game safety rules preventing sweeping observers behind you. IPSC has some stupid rules restricting real-world equipment while allowing stupid rigs (like the rain or warming coats padded-up football players wear on the sidelines while waiting to switch from offense to defense or to special teams).

Yeah, it would suck if you had to roll around on the floor and grapple with someone, but my first thought is if I have to I hope it'll be with an empty pistol in my hand.

375x419xsob.jpg.pagespeed.ic.S_tAvLKvsX.webp

Last edited:
I have carried the same pistol (1911's) in the same place, for over 30 years. I have been fortunate enough to know a friend who makes very high quality holsters (Ernie Hanson, Lincoln City, OR) but I don't know if he still makes them or not. I still use the holster he made for me over 20 years ago, and I carried it daily for duty use, and it still works great. I am very fortunate to have found a holster that has lasted that long and is still serviceable. I used the same holster for duty, or competition matches. Sure, there are faster holsters for competition, but keeping that muscle memory so everything is always the same was more important to me than winning in matches. Pistol was my secondary weapon in any case...I was (and still am) more of a rifle shooter.

I avoid kidney carry because if you do get knocked onto your back during a fight, the butt of the pistol can easily knock the wind out of you just like a good kidney punch will. Strong side (around 4 O'clock) works just fine for me.

Another huge problem with SOB holsters is back injury. Get knocked to the round with your gun holstered and instant lower back injury.
Pat

I have carried an M1911A1 and Browning MKIII Highpower in a black Andy Arratoonian - Horseshoe Leather SOB on military expeditions and PSD work. It is a fine holster for, as others have mentioned, excellent concealment while standing and moving while in suits. It does not have a thumb-break, which may or may not be a liability. It is not uncomfortable if you are flying in military web seats (Hueys, Blackhawks, C-130s and C17s), and if your G-ride has comfortable or bucket seats it's tolerable. I would HATE to wear it if you have to sit for long periods on surveillance, especially in rental cars with just OK seats, or in hard plastic institutional-style chairs.

It also doesn't get in the way much if you have to tote a 3-day pack or the radio. If you have to move in close quarters (halls, galleys, kitchens) or lean back all the time you'll bump the gun against counters or people you may not want to let know you're armed.

The comment about not being used in competition is irrelevant because of their game safety rules preventing sweeping observers behind you. IPSC has some stupid rules restricting real-world equipment while allowing stupid rigs (like the rain or warming coats padded-up football players wear on the sidelines while waiting to switch from offense to defense or to special teams).

Yeah, it would suck if you had to roll around on the floor and grapple with someone, but my first thought is if I have to I hope it'll be with an empty pistol in my hand.

375x419xsob.jpg.pagespeed.ic.S_tAvLKvsX.webp

I saw this thread the other day and cringed - the vision of some poor sap who thought an SOB was a good idea - flat on their back, their arm at a 90 pinned under them, with a large angry dude on top of them and going to town……

I saw this thread the other day and cringed - the vision of some poor sap who thought an SOB was a good idea - flat on their back, their arm at a 90 pinned under them, with a large angry dude on top of them and going to town……

And that would happen after his own pistol hit him in the kidney area thereby knocking the wind out of him and seizing up his legs; just like the punch taught in jujutsu class. You can barely breathe and your knees buckle, and you think you are going to piss yourself...I know from personal experience, and I would sooner get kicked in the nuts than have that happen again. (Good Lord that hurt!)