• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

bab029

Hammer Mechanic
Minuteman
May 16, 2011
Louisiana
Since being quarantined, I've begun to think about a carry holster for a full-size 1911. It's a pretty gun, so it needs a nice house too. It's "just" a Kimber custom II, but there is sentimental value here so I'm wanting something (dare I say it) pretty to tote it around in. That's why i'm not looking for a crossbreed, or anything kydex.

Have considered the milt sparks vm2.

But last night came across the Brigade Leather M-11 Hardcore. Seems to be the direction I want to go, because it's, well, good looking, and I like the thought put into showing pics of the holster in use and the manufacturing process. The pictured one is pretty much how I'd like it, but maybe with white stitching.

Anyhoo. I read a few old threads about abysmal, geologically slow delivery from Brigade. Anyone here have experience from the last couple years? I'm willing to wait.

Also, if there are any other solid leather workers that offer something in this style, post them up. The search was marginally helpful here.

I would strongly suggest going with your first instinct. IMO Milt Sparks is the pinnacle, a perfect blend of art, purpose, and execution. They are now (and have been for years) the only gunleather I'll own. When you call to order have your shit together because they have little patience for stupidity in the form of weird requests. Pretty much everything is spelled out on the website with an extensive Q & A section. Their wait times can vary and are usually updated every now and then on their website. They also don't want "Where's my holster" calls. Yes, they are a bit "independent" as my Dad used to say.... Also pay attention to their descriptions on the website; they will spell out different ride hides and cants, comparing models here and there. They will charge your card when your holster ships, so that will be your only notification. No tracking is usually provided. Order whatever you choose with Alligator trim and you will be absolutely thrilled when you get it. Warning: Their stuff id addicting. I have spent thousands on their leather over the years.

Reactions: clcustom1911
Sparks is good. The VM2 conceals a gov't model well. If you can still get Gary Brommeland to make a holster for you, the Max Con V, which is the same style, conceals it much better, and the workmanship is absolutely the best. Takes a while to get, but I can conceal a government size in jeans and a t shirt with no issues at all. With the VM2, I can do it, but it prints enough to warrant a secondary cover garment.

Sparks is good. The VM2 conceals a gov't model well. If you can still get Gary Brommeland to make a holster for you, the Max Con V, which is the same style, conceals it much better, and the workmanship is absolutely the best. Takes a while to get, but I can conceal a government size in jeans and a t shirt with no issues at all. With the VM2, I can do it, but it prints enough to warrant a secondary cover garment.
I do agree that 5" 1911's print with a VM-2 more or less depending on body type. The VM-2's conceal best if you're mostly walking around as they are very hi-ride. If you sit down they print in a T-shirt. The Nexus rides lower and doesn't have the steel reinforced mouth so conceals better, but can be challenging to reholster one-handed. This is less of an issue in reality than most think, IMO. The Criterion uses a metal reinforcement on the trigger guard thereby doing away with the traditional band over top of the gun so that helps with conceal-ability compared to the VM-2 as well. They also have a little more cant, I believe.

I do agree that 5" 1911's print with a VM-2 more or less depending on body type. The VM-2's conceal best if you're mostly walking around as they are very hi-ride. If you sit down they print in a T-shirt. The Nexus rides lower and doesn't have the steel reinforced mouth so conceals better, but can be challenging to reholster one-handed. This is less of an issue in reality than most think, IMO. The Criterion uses a metal reinforcement on the trigger guard thereby doing away with the traditional band over top of the gun so that helps with conceal-ability compared to the VM-2 as well. They also have a little more cant, I believe.
I have them all. The Brommeland is the tits. Sparks is really good, but not the same league.

Reactions: 1911hombre
My pimp ride is a TT Gunleather holster. It's beautiful!

Check out his site, there's a gallery with a bunch of pictures with different combinations.

I bet you end up with a matching magazine holder.

Reactions: bab029
Milt Sparks has a page on the web site with ready to ship holsters, at only a relatively small premium to a true custom. Many of those holsters are for a 1911.

My pimp ride is a TT Gunleather holster. It's beautiful!

Check out his site, there's a gallery with a bunch of pictures with different combinations.

I bet you end up with a matching magazine holder.

Thanks for this tip. Just impulse bought a convertible iwb/pancake. ? I’ll follow up with a review here.

Good luck with your purchase. Overall I would have recommended the Versa. I have that exact holster and carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II. It’s very comfortable, stable and makes my Kimber disappear. You would not have been disappointed with it.

Good luck with your purchase. Overall I would have recommended the Versa. I have that exact holster and carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II. It’s very comfortable, stable and makes my Kimber disappear. You would not have been disappointed with it.

If I understand this game right, I’ll have several holsters before this is over. ?

Love the Summer Special II for IWB has been great with a belt from Tucker Gun Leather.

edited for grammar

Tim at TT makes excellent stuff with reasonable lead times. I’ve owned quite a few of his holsters before converting to appendix carry.

I’ve carried my 1911’s in Milt Sparks Summer/ Special the last 35 years full time. Tried many others that got shit canned to a holster box . A few years back I had switched over to a JM Custom IWB for the summer sweat, it’s a great holster w/ a sweat guard. Yes, Kydek is faster (and can break) but leather is more comfortable. My vote goes to Kevin at Milt Sparks. I’m sure there are plenty of other good rigs out there..but, I’m getting too old to fill up any more boxes with holster money, make more ammo with holster money.

If you order the Milt Sparks, get a matching belt. It makes a difference, and the belts are quite nice on their own (I wear mine when not carrying as well).

Milt Sparks VM2 is excellent. I used to carry my full size at my 7-8 o'clock (I'm a lefty) it would never print unless I squatted down or bent over.

I also used to carry my Springfield Operator with my surefire in a IWB!! Get a good belt LOL.

Thanks for this tip. Just impulse bought a convertible iwb/pancake. ? I’ll follow up with a review here.

Congrats!

It's tough to look at the gallery without ordering one. Please apologize to your wallet on my behalf.

My Mil-Spec rides in a OWB pancake. Was thinking the same for my new TRP with 1/2 rail, but I'll look forward to seeing your review before deciding.

Had mail waiting this afternoon! Four weeks on the nose from pushing the button to ripping into it like a sugared up six year old on Christmas morning.
Packed up nicely

8D2A262C-661F-4CCC-824C-5B338552B3C5.jpeg

Looks great, retention is great. It’s stiff right now, but the included instructions say to deal with it and not to put any aftermarket goo or schmoo on it. Should conform with use, but right out of the box it’s marvelously comfy.

IWB mode lets the 5” 1911 disappear under a t-shirt, and I Haven’t been to the gym in over a month, so the lats are a bit soggy right now.

10/10 so far both in quality and in delivering on schedule.

I’ll wear it around the woods and the homestead to get a better feel, but I don’t see my opinion changing much. Will likely go with another if I add that Glock 19 to the harem.
2C700CBE-077E-43EA-B7EF-446398445304.jpeg

Reactions: sandwarrior
I carried a full size 1911 in a Garrett industry kydex lined with leather for years really liked it. Can’t go wrong with a milt either. Also check out hill county leather, John has done a bunch of exotic owb 1911 holsters for me. And me makes come cool iwb trimmed in exotic that a great.